Hi All. I'm new to the forum

Machine, You got a good eye.

The grab rail was what I wanted. I like the look. ( It's the last chance for the "twins" to get a grip as the bikes gets out from under me) They didn't say I'd have to cut off the grab loop,
Thx, yes I chase parts for entertainment. Lol.
I as well put a grab rail like that on a 78E Standard and did also cut off the frame handle loop to use it. Truth is I liked it so much that I just may do that again to my current 78 Standard.
Question , which grab rail did you find ? 78/79 Special or maybe a 79 Standard ? IDK yet if they are the same part# but I suspect the 79F Standard grab rail is the best fit ..
Your 77 has some very appealing upgrades , Looks a Great
:thumbsup:

Thanks so much Machine. The grab rail I got new from mikesxs, 68-6809, Standard model, $51 bucks plus shipping. WOOF! But...I liked it.
It's nice when other folks like your work, especially those that know what it takes to get it there. In the end, it's what you like and want in a bike. Be it a straight stock beauty or a Great looking Bobber or Café Racer. I wanted to put all the calendar entries on the front page! But Mailman and his long hard work, people here helping him along... Damn, Peanut, and his little vid, 70 MPH up hill climb in a rabbit run, scare the S*it outa me! :rock:...It don't get no better than that. There is some good people here!
Thu

Yes, Good people on here ! I too got a good kick out of Peanuts video !
:D Thanks Peanut
Have a great time on your XS
I’m going on a storage unit hunt in a couple hours for fun . Already saw this today.

Attachments

• E2185405-37E0-47EF-BE5D-5BAA4D9C8E0F.jpeg
    E2185405-37E0-47EF-BE5D-5BAA4D9C8E0F.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 152
Yes, Good people on here ! I too got a good kick out of Peanuts video !
:D Thanks Peanut
Have a great time on your XS
I’m going on a storage unit hunt in a couple hours for fun . Already saw this today.

Storage unit hunt? Hummmm Well good! luck!
Thu

Mailman, You busy? Need your experience on the decale application. I understand in reading you had problems applying your decals. Remember where you got them from? I'm in a pickle after I creased the tank. Anything you can advise or caution against?
Thanks,
Thu

Last edited:
OK, that clears up that mystery. For a moment there I thought we may have identified a discrepancy in Yamaha's production series. Oh well, I'll look for controversy elsewhere. Never-the-less, it does make the point that at least two owners have deliberately opted for the pullback bars. Thaddeus' bike picked up 38 votes and 12 more in the tie breaker, so the things aren't universally unpopular. Thanks Jim.
Had a look on eBay and found this, (see PDF), '77 tank for $145.00 (US) located in North Ridgeville, Ohio.
Seller's description reads,
“Tank is solid and would be good to restore. The inside is rusty but feels solid. We did not test it."
Refurbishing something like this could be easier than fixing your damaged tank.
and it is cheaper than I had expected. There must be a heap more available n the States.

Thanks David! Sorry for getting back to you so late. I got one coming. I'll hope for the best.
Later,
Thu

No problems Thuban. Just letting you know we feel your pain, even on the other side of the world.
When I was running a Graphics business, we used to apply the decals wet - peel off the backing paper, spray the sticky side, (that's right, "sticky" side), with soapy water, apply the decal in place, check out the alignment and relocate if necessary then squeegee the water out carefully with a rubber applicator or credit card wrapped in cloth. A clean surface was essential as even the smallest elements of dust would show as bubbles or "lumps" under the decal. Once the thing was dry in place, we could peel off the clear paper and "Bob would be your uncle", (Australian colloquialism meaning everything was cool). Normally worked a treat though Mailman might know a better system. Good luck!

Last edited:
we used to apply the decals wet - peel off the backing paper, spray the sticky side, (that's right, "sticky" side), with soapy water and squeegee it all out carefully with a rubber applicator or credit card wrapped in cloth. This meant that you could relocate the decal before it dried if the alignment was out.
1+ on what David said. That's how I've always done it. And trust me.... I seldom get the position right on the first try.... or second. :er:

I second that, the wet application technique using a spray bottle. I’ve applied a few decals to sport bikes. The positioning by eye to be symmetrical is what is stressful because there is not a whole lot of time to “adjust” the decal. Bubbles do push out from the center okay. Learned that in a panic lol.

I third it. Wet Wet Wet. You can slide it around, work bubbles out. Pat it gently dry and wipe and press from the center out. Worked for me on my Honda tank stripes.

Outstanding: David, guys! Thanks so much. I did get my replacement tank in today. It's a 76 and not in too bad a shape. I think this is going to work out ok.
I'll strip it and do a little metal work.
Thu

Back