1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Hi from OZ

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vish79, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Vish79

Vish79 XS650 New Member

Gday people
    Im Shane from WA in Australia. Been browsing the website for a bit since I decided I wanted an XS. A mate has a couple in pieces but its impossible to pry them from his hands. Finally found what seemed a decent buy. 1974 XS650. Running and neat but needing some work for rego.

Seat wasnt cancerous as it was all bog which has since fractured. Mechanically it appears fine, needing more maintenance work the rebuild work. Also found out its a TX650A.

Hope to get it regoed soon but I have a 78 SR500 that I need to finished rebuilding the motor on for a upcoming ride.

Attached Files:

• 569.jpg
      569.jpg
      File size:
      41.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Ozboy

Ozboy XS650 Addict

Welcome Vish local WA boy like me. Great site plenty of amazing info.

YamadudeXS650C, Vish79 and gggGary like this.
  3. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Gday Vish79, Nice looking Standard you have there. Particularly fond of the green color.
    Welcome to the site :thumbsup:
    -RT

YamadudeXS650C and gggGary like this.
  4. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Welcome Vish! Great bike you’ve found there!
    It’ll be a nice stable mate for your SR500 :)

YamadudeXS650C and gggGary like this.
  5. geedubya

geedubya geedubya Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

G'day Vish,,
    When I was a newbie like you, just putting my oar in the water, I did not know what were the the right questions to ask>>>>>>>>>>>>so in I went and lo and behold the brotherhood here took me in and assisted me, and ever since I have remained a member on this site as I will think you should do.

GD

6. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Welcome Vish - from Canada’s sunny southern coast in Windsor, Ontario!

That is a very pretty bike you’ve got there but from the position of the front brake calliper (behind, rather than in front of the fork slider), it appears to be a fair bit later than a 1974 model....

Very interesting!

Pete

YamadudeXS650C, Mailman and gggGary like this.
  7. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Eagles eyes on the prowl......

YamadudeXS650C, Mailman and MaxPete like this.
  8. Vish79

Vish79 XS650 New Member

OzBoy - WA is small but I have some real good dealings with people in Perth (fyi im in Bunbury), and so far country wide is the same. Great community , and then you have places like this which is just as awesome.

Machine - thanks but its an illusion thats to my parents house. Its actually a gloss black but the pic does indead make it look nice.

Mailman- That was the plan. Start with a single to figure out the basics, twins a bit more complex and might look at a triple once I have my head around this one. The SR was fun, way down on compression and carb needed rebuilding. Got it running pretty sweet for an engine most people said should be rebuild. Im in the final stages of rebuilding that so the fun starts again.

Geedubya- I am about the same. I can visualise mechanics no worries but always second guess myself doing it. I had a mate with bikes that gave me the confidence to get the SR after wanting to do something like this for 10-15 years.

MaxPete - I had my suspicions about that, I think it might be of an RD400 to the best of my knowledge (which isnt much). I know its not an RD 350/250/200 and not SR. I think the bike tho it has matching numbers may be a bit of a basketcase as the dash cluster isnt correct either, but so far I am clueless about what thats off.

YamadudeXS650C and MaxPete like this.
  9. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

74 - 76 have 34mm forks.........74/75 front caliper was mounted on the front of the fork lower

74/75 gauges were a 2 year only type and would only bolt onto the 74/75 Triple tree crown

Same triple used for 74-76 year models

74/75 Front Forks can be swapped from side to side so the front caliper is situated behind the front leg, to imitate a 76 front brake set up..........

74TXA
    Australia got Vagus Green, (was a rare colour), as well as Cinnamon Brown
    ,,,,, ,,.jpg a 1d.jpg DSCN0613.jpg
    75XSB
    Australia got Baja Brown as well as Star Black
    1 ak.jpg 1 ga.jpg ,SBM.jpg

76XSC
    Note; Brake calipers are mounted on the rear of the fork leg.........Gauges changed, as did the triple tree crown.
    fol584_6.jpg XS-_Right_02-05-12_com.JPG 76 Canadian red_SLS4697.jpg 00i0i_56h95gJxuNK_600x450.jpg

10. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Vish79 and welcome,
    looks like a nice bike.
    An XS650's frame number is about the only thing that'll tell you what year it is because most XS650 parts swap between models like Lego.

YamadudeXS650C, gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  11. geedubya

geedubya geedubya Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Go Doug,

You are the Guru of data and knowledge with regard to these machines...................perhaps you were a former Dali Lama!!!

12. Vish79

Vish79 XS650 New Member

Thanks for the info 650Skull - The dash I do have is a 76xsc one, but the front lense/cover is missing. I was actually wondering if the forks had been rotated but didnt really have any thing to back it up. The yamaha badge on the brake caliper is sitting at a wierd angle (parallel to the for tube).

I just purchased a 2nd hand seat and decided to pick up dash that he had too which I think might be for a tx. The guages are good for parts but Ill see what I can do with them.

13. 650Skull

If the brake line tab, on the fork lower, is facing forward the forks have been swapped over............

14. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth?

Hello Vish,
    Welcome to this excellent forum, always good to see another Aussie sign up. Member Jayel posted this simple model number chart back in 2010.It may help with ID.

Attached Files:

Mailman and YamadudeXS650C like this.
  15. 650Skull

Sorry David, that chart has the 3 79's numbers all wrong

since jean Aker has his site back up he has changed the ID chart and it is right http://biker.net/

YamadudeXS650C and MaxPete like this.
  16. David Toll

Skull, your knowledge is encyclopaedic! I stand gratefully corrected.
    Regards

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    YamadudeXS650C likes this.
  17. David Toll

And thanks for the "heads up" on Biker.Net - another great site.
    Cheers

18. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I absolutely love learning a new word.
    I plan on using it regularly in the near future !

19. David Toll

Remember the Jimmy Cricket jingle Dude?
    'In the N....cyclopaedia
    e-n-c-y-c-l-o-p-a-e-d-i-a!'
    spelling it always had me screwed!!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  20. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

upload_2019-9-24_23-11-43.jpeg

David Toll likes this.