Hi Guys! I'm back...

Barb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I guess I'm back. I've been away from most all the bikes sites because since last May I have been helping to take care of my late husband, who was fighting pancreatic cancer. Sadly, I lost him January 15th. My name was the last word he spoke.

So over the summer the only riding I did was back and forth to the hospital, then as it progressed and he came home for the end, I didn't ride at all. Now suddenly, instead of having way too much to do, with visiting nurses and hospice people everywhere, I am here with only our two dogs and one cat in the house. However, my friends are being great, and my son, granddaughters and my brother are keeping me occupied and busy. One of my projects for this Spring is finishing the rebuild on the engine of my '77XS, the one with the sidecar.

And speaking of sidecar, I'm thinking of moving it to an Airhead BMW I got, and getting the XS back to basic stock sporty roadbike---back to it's roots, if you will.

So the current stable is:
'77 XS w/ chair
'81 XS Special
79 R80/7 BMW
'76 R75/6 BMW
'78 T140v Triumph
'69 T120 Triumph
'66 B44 BSA

Now if I could just find a Lambretta Ld-125, I'd be happy. (OK, "happIER"---one can never have enough bikes....)

And like I said: I guess I'm back! Didja miss me? (Yeah, I know....."Yes, but our aim is improving!")

Barb

Barb, you and I have never actually posted, I don't think, but may I be the first to welcome you back, and to offer my sincere condolences, and perhaps even a shoulder or ear if you find yourself needing it.

TC

WELCOME back Barb!!!
Sorry for your loss.
I am very envious of your collection. I have one bike that runs really great on the lift and that's about it, she's a lift queen. Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of your goings on with the retrofit of the XS. Keep posting.

Hey Barb, its a very pleasant surprise to have you back:thumbsup:. Sounds like you have just gone through a difficult time, and are now ready to get back into the biker world.

In the past, when the lads got a little out of line, you always had a witty remark or phrase to straighten them out.

I look forward to your comments in the forum:bike:

Hi Guys,

Gee, thanks! I sort of didn't realize how much I missed the world of motorcycles! As I get deeper into the rebuild of the "primary" engine of my '77, I expect to tap the vast reserve of knowledge available, especially regarding the charging system. (Grumble, grumble.....OK, "alleged" charging system...):doh: That is the major issue with the "back-up" engine, as it seemed to want to either charge at 15 volts, or about 9.5...... neither exactly ideal!

Anyway, "sufficient unto the day", and I will deal with that when the time comes. Right now I am hip-deep in the R75/6 Beemer, and collecting the bits to make my BSA stock again.

So. Thanks for the kind words, Guys. It's nice to be "home"!

There should be a 'like' button to these threads. Missed you and kinda thought it could have been a matter of life.....glad to see you back. I've added a '77 to my stable, kinda a mess but titled and 7 thousand miles on the clock. Looking forward to your posts.

Welcome back Barb! I have seen you all over the internet on these xs boards, so I feel that I almost know you.

Yeah, nice to "hear" your voice. I havent been around long , but I missed your wit and wisdom while you were gone. Having lost my son to that dread disease , I have utmost respect for your trials. Glad you are back! Kev.

Barb, sorry to hear of your loss.

I guess I'm one of the n00bs who signed up during your absence, so it sounds funny to say 'welcome back', but... welcome back. :D

Welcome back Barb. Sorry for your loss. I support your decision to move the sidecar to the beemer.
Whynot2

Welcome home! Sorry about your loss and yes we did miss you. Now would you hand me a beer?

And yes, put the wagon on the airhead-- the XS leans better.

Hi Guys,

I do appreciate it! And before I forget, one Greensboro beer, coming up! (The next time I'm in Greensboro, that is. The last time was in 2007 for a bike rally in Blowing Rock.) (No "blowing" jokes, either!)

Both times I've been to Blowing Rock (snikker) for a Brit bike ride, there have been one or two beautiful XS's there to ride along. Everyone loves them---"The Japanese Triumph", y'know.

The second time I attended I rode Millie the BMW from home here in Washington to North Carolina, but I didn't go through Greensboro, I came in from the northwest. (How did I get off on this? Oh, right. The beer. Yeah--beer works well that way for me.....)

Anyway, Guys, my sincere appreciation and thanks. It helps. (Not as much as riding a bike---but that's a *LOT*!) :bike:

For those who haven't been to Blowing Rock (snikker) it's so named because the wind blows straight up and not from the side. Things thrown off the mountain tend to go up before they come down-- hard and sometimes miles away.

Near the base of Blowing Rock is Linville Caverns. Once, while visiting Linville Caverns with my then, wife, the operators of the cavern turned off the lights to demonstrate the absolute darkness and my then, wife, started kissing me in the dark. But when the lights came back on I discovered I was kissing another man's wife. He and my wife were very unhappy even though the operator offered to turn the lights back off.

(snickker)

Barb, next time you're in the area get in touch. -Billy

wb, Barb. I don't really know you, but this forum is somewhere I hang out quite a bit these days. I don't go in the "lounge" part very much, but just thought I'd say hi.
:)

Back