Nothing a little of this won't fix... :smoke:

ELBOWGREASE-600x600.jpg

Busted rockers... we've all had 'em. After all, it's 40-50 yr old plastic we're dealin' with here. Here's one way to fix 'em if you don't have access to a 3D printer.

View attachment 158645

So first off... cover your tank. Don't want a screwdriver slippin' and scratching the paint... do we. 2 screws on the bottom of the switch and you can peel the two halves away from the handlebars. Inside you'll see a little bracket holding the rocker in place with 1 screw. Remove it.

View attachment 158646

View attachment 158647

And now the rocker will pop out of the housing..

View attachment 158648

View attachment 158649

Clean the rocker with your solvent of choice to remove all dirt and grease, then rough up the broken end. Easy with the solvent... lest you melt the part. It's kinda small and fiddly for a file or sandpaper so I just used an Exacto knife and scraped across it. Roughed it up nicely.

Next I used some aluminum tape to create a mold to duplicate the original part. I made it slightly large so that I could use some sandpaper to finish it down to size.

View attachment 158650

View attachment 158651

Then I poured in some J B Weld original formula. After you pour it, use a tooth pick to stir it around. That gets rid of any air bubbles and makes sure it's well bonded to the plastic. Let it sit up overnight to fully cure.

View attachment 158652

Peel the tape off and you should have the rough shape of the tab.

View attachment 158653

Using sandpaper on a block, slowly work it down to size... checking the fit frequently with the button.

View attachment 158654

View attachment 158655

The original Yamaha screw is self tapping, which I feel contributes to the weakness of the tab. I decided to drill and tap it for a 3X.5mm machine screw.

View attachment 158656

View attachment 158657

View attachment 158660

And here we are. Ready to reassemble.

View attachment 158661

Put a little dielectric grease on it....

View attachment 158662

Push it back into place, reinstall the bracket and reinstall the switch on the handlebars

View attachment 158663

Reinstall the little brass slider plate and screw the rocker button back on.

View attachment 158664

And here we are....

Cheaper and much more satisfying than a new Mikes XS switch. :D
I would have only thought of trying to use JB weld to glue the 2 together which would not have been strong enough to hold the 2 pieces together
Good one Jim!!! Thanks

I would have only thought of trying to use JB weld to glue the 2 together which would not have been strong enough to hold the 2 pieces together
Good one Jim!!! Thanks

I have only run across JB Weld since joining this forum - and it really is pretty darned good stuff.

Back