Hi thanks for letting me join group

Markangels4

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi can I ask for help I’ve built a hardtail chop using an old xs650 1979 I found the engine and carbs are all in bike now , I’m trying to tune it but having trouble it seems to get hot quickly, slightly spitting back through exhausts too on closer inspection it has mikuni 34 carbs but 150 main jets and 130 pilot air jets in it it’s running after market exhaust and cone air filters, your help would be appreciated and thanks in advance

Take off the cone air filters how does it run then?
Many cheap cone pods are worse than useless, blocking off important air ports on the intake bell.

Hey Mark, pictures of bike and carbs?
5E00A513-C1A8-4F8C-B274-1D3B09BDD1D7.jpeg

Attachments

• 537AD48C-D6ED-4DAC-A6B4-AAC04044A6C6.png
    537AD48C-D6ED-4DAC-A6B4-AAC04044A6C6.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 55
On newly assembled bikes - with your symptoms particularly - I'm a fan of verifying cam timing and ignition timing first, before messing with the carbs. I'll stick with that, but there are a couple of carb issues worth mentioning:

They appear to be BS34's that would be std. on '80 & later XS's, but they're installed right on left and left on right (should have a fuel inlet T in between).

A 150 main jet is way large - most bikes (even with those pipes & filters) would max at a 145 and I think you might need a 140 (depending on the needle). The pilot should be ~ #45 and they take a rubber plug covering their nozzle or don't work right. All the jets need verified in that set-up

Given the above, I might go back through the carb install first and put things closer to OEM - then check the timing

On newly assembled bikes - with your symptoms particularly - I'm a fan of verifying cam timing and ignition timing first, before messing with the carbs. I'll stick with that, but there are a couple of carb issues worth mentioning:

They appear to be BS34's that would be std. on '80 & later XS's, but they're installed right on left and left on right (should have a fuel inlet T in between).

A 150 main jet is way large - most bikes (even with those pipes & filters) would max at a 145 and I think you might need a 140 (depending on the needle). The pilot should be ~ #45 and they take a rubber plug covering their nozzle or don't work right. All the jets need verified in that set-up

Given the above, I might go back through the carb install first and put things closer to OEM - then check the timing
Thank you for your help

Here’s a picture off them off bike definitely got a 150 main jet

Attachments

• F617A9A1-4EAB-4A7C-BBC6-9D4B8319A3F0.jpeg
    F617A9A1-4EAB-4A7C-BBC6-9D4B8319A3F0.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 52
Hi guys , just an update if you’re interested, I grounded my condenser, set cam , valves, points and timing , bike sounds better slight back firing through left exhaust but right has stopped lol , carbs are going to get a good stop down and reset so hopefully will sought thanks for all your help

Given your intake and exhaust - and all else being correct - I'm guessing your jetting - with 51X11 needle in the middle clip position - should be a #45 pilot jet, fuel screw @ 1 1/2 turns and a 137.5 main jet

Hi can I ask for help I’ve built a hardtail chop using an old xs650 1979 I found the engine and carbs are all in bike now , I’m trying to tune it but having trouble it seems to get hot quickly, slightly spitting back through exhausts too on closer inspection it has mikuni 34 carbs but 150 main jets and 130 pilot air jets in it it’s running after market exhaust and cone air filters, your help would be appreciated and thanks in advance
You have the very best XS650 friends here. Welcome to the madness.

Just wanted to show you guys the carbs now all cleaned and set up and running good, thanks for your help

Attachments

• FEF33D85-1E79-413C-B27E-D015DCA1D4E2.jpeg
    FEF33D85-1E79-413C-B27E-D015DCA1D4E2.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 34
Back