Hi! They tell me this is THE bike...

AndrewDoesHair

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Don't let my username lead to you to assume that I have soft hands or anything. While I have to admit that I'm brand new to motorcycles, I am not new to tools or projects. The semi-brief history starts 10 years ago, in high school, when I bought a '57 Chevy for my first car, and spent the next 3 years rebuilding just about every part of it.
122_15A.jpg

Then I got into woodworking, and started making custom guitars from scratch. So I have experience now with both catalyzed urethanes, and nitrocellulose lacquers. I have a paint booth, a collection of spray guns, I know how to wet sand, buff, etc. Not to mention the wiring, and assembly of these guitars, and the precision that goes into making a guitar play just right...
87cc205c125711e2a64f22000a1f968e_7.jpg

IMG_6179.jpg

IMG_7858.jpg

And so about two years ago I got the bug to want a motorbike. I didn't actively pursue getting a bike, because I assumed that since I didn't grow up riding, I couldn't simply START. But within the past year, I've watched a few friends get bikes, take the Ride Rite classes, and start riding. So screw it, I can learn, too!

I started googling bikes, asking a million questions to everyone I knew who rides, and I was lucky to find a guy at my church who has been collecting bikes for many years. He restores them for a hobby, and owns a motorbike parts (reselling, manufacturing, etc) business for his work. Today I met up with him to learn, and in a giant barn full of Triumphs and Nortons, he tells me that I want to track down a Yamaha XS650. He said it's a solid bike, great value, easy to work on, etc. So I've been steered from The CB750s I'd been lusting after, and am now in love with your (yes, YOUR) Yamaha. That's what led me here.

This is me, hanging out in my Motorbike Mentor's shop.
IMG_4990.jpg

I really hope I can get hooked here. I post on a few guitar forums, and if I can learn half, here, what I've learned on those, I'll be on that XS650 in no time!

Thanks for having me here! Where should a n00b like me look first?

Last edited:
WELCOME!! You've come to the center of the XS universe. I'm more than certian you'll learn everything you'll ever want to know here. I'm realatively new too (and also a musician) so, from my experience eBay and Craigslist seems to be the best spots to find a bike. I got my '81 off eBay for $800. Needed a little TLC but now runs good enough. Good luck, and if you have any questions, use the search function to research your question before you post. Most questions have already been asked and search function here works great!
Cheers!

Welcome aboard! My first bike was an XS650. I still have it. It's been 29 years.

You should look for a bike 1977 and later. They had improved by then and it may be a little easier to get parts. If you want a stocker and the Brit bikes appeal to you, you should look for a '77 to '79 standard. If you're going to customize the bike, you'll find the Specials more plentiful and less expensive. All the parts are pretty much interchangeable, so don't let the look fool you. The only significant difference in the frame is the Special has the rear shocks tilted forward for a lower stance in the rear. A little bit longer shocks will change that.

Good luck with the hunt!

XS650D.jpg

1977 XS650D

XS650-special.jpg

1979 XS650SF

The car looks sweet! I almost bought an old 55 Buick century but decided to get a 75 650B instead. Now I'm starting to wish I bought the car. Nah, not to be negative, but be prepared to work on whatever old bike you get. That has been my experience anyway and I'm ready to freak out. I just want to ride! Let us know what you end up finding.

Hey Hairy Andy is this your XS650 or what?

guitar-motorcycle-01.jpg

Sorry I just couldn't stop myself, welcome aboard!

Welcome to the boards. A 57 and a wagon to boot, nice.
What you are wanting will have some to do with where to look.
A ready to ride may be more elusive.
As suggested ebay and craiglist for sale ads.
Craigslist and oh yeah this sites classified for WTB ads.
Good luck.

Welcome aboard,
fellow guitar builder and 650 enthusiast.
Guitars look awesome, and seen your work over on the offset guitar forum. Great stuff. If you can build guitars from scratch, I have no doubt you'll be having fun with a bike in no time.
I find this forum somewhat difficult to navigate, but just don't be in a hurry.
Find a good deal on a bike.....
keep searchin' the forums....

Think about buying a welder....
Sounds like you know quite a few biker/fab guys so that should come in handy.
I know none, and am a total noob, but there's tons of great info on this site when you do find it.

There's also a nice handful of shops/businesses offering great replacement/specialty/and aftermarket parts for the 650:

Thanks guys. Shocked at how fast the responses came! I've been very lucky to have this guy offer to pretty much mentor me in the ways of the motorbike, and he keeps encouraging me to get a project (he used the term Donor Bike- is that a specific slang thing, or his own term? I'm TOO new!) so that I can understand and know the bike better. I'm not opposed to that. The hard part is, if it takes 10 months to build the thing, I won't have a bike for 10 months! Gah! I keep looking at various "nice running" 200's and 350's that I have the funds already to go buy tomorrow, but I've been warned to avoid smaller bikes (I'm 6'1" 195lbs) both for safety and because apparently I'll get bored in a month and want more power. So I'm working with about $1,900 today, and can add about $200 per month to that, until fate leads me to my first bike. I don't like choppers, or long forks/tall bars, but I like the cafe look- long and low, stripped down, etc. I know that cafe racers are the most hipster trend ever right now, and I'm jumping right on the bandwagon, but I don't even care. This is a lifestyle choice, not a fashion statement! I've been married for a year now and I'm craving the alone time that I imagine a bike will allow me ;)

The xs is a great starter bike. Try to find one that has an intact wiring system, dont buy a non running bike to begin with

Posted via Mobile

The term "donor" is just what it implies. You will be using parts of the bike, but not the whole. Sometimes it means basket case bikes sometimes it may mean a nice stocker.
There are good deals out there, BUT there are also those that believe the 650 to be their retirement package. Sleep on most of the deals you find.

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you got the same advice from your mentor as I got from mine, and sound advice it is. I would look for a relativly unmolested 650 and stay away from any hack jobs. Beware of 'I cut the rear seat loop off and it just needs the carbs tuned to run'. This forum will get you through just about any issue you may come across.

Yeah, apparently the guys company sells many many parts for this bike, from the carbs to the seat foam, and thats a lot of the reason he suggested it to me; he says he'll get me parts at cost. Explained to me that a CB750 can cost about $1,000 to replace the carbs, but through him I can replace the carbs on a XS650 for like $150... He's been an acquaintance for a few years, and I'm kind of a shy, introverted guy, so I'm trying to psych myself up to take advantage of all he's offering me!
Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Hey Andrew, Welcome to the site where everything can get XSive.
There is alot of good people here to help you with questions that You will have.
there is a good tech section. Getting one of these older bike is a commitment.
Almost never will You find one that is turn key ready. But like Your friend said parts are plenty and help is right here too. The XS is about as simple as it gets and very reliable as well. Good luck with Your hunt for a XS :cheers:

Welcome to our slice of all things XS650.
I might suggest starting by perusing the XS650 TECH section. Scoll down to the Maintainance and General Troubleshooting section, Buying guide, Getting to know your bike.
This will help get you started. From there just read everything you can.
Leo

Welcome ! Love your car ! '57 Chevy Nomad Wagon is my dream car . They are almost impossible to find and they are worth serious money . Your friend with the Brit bikes gave you some good advice , the XS 650 is the best vintage bike to learn motorcycle mechanics on . As far as learning to ride, your other friend gave you good advice too, take a course. Then buy a bike to learn to ride on . My advice would be a street trail/ enduro type single four stroke . The Honda XL 350 to 500cc or Yamaha XT , you can even find nice vintage ones . Those bikes are easy to maintain, cheap to buy, handle well, and you won't look like a dork riding one. Another plus for owning one of those is they hold their value reasonably well so you can learn to ride and get your money back when it's time to move up to a bigger bike.

I don't like choppers, or long forks/tall bars, but I like the cafe look- long and low, stripped down, etc. I know that cafe racers are the most hipster trend ever right now, and I'm jumping right on the bandwagon, but I don't even care. This is a lifestyle choice, not a fashion statement!)

Hahah, this sounds like you are talking about me! Who cares man, cafe racers rule. Now I just have to get mine running and I'll be happy.

I found one. A haircut client is selling a Yamaha (he says it's ether a 550 or a 650, but he's also a n00b). He bought it for $1,500, then got a massive ticket for riding with no license, and is now trying to sell it to pay his ticket. I talked him down to $1,100 and 10 free haircuts (those don't cost me anything!). Only issue, for me, is that it looks all bobber/chopper, with long forks etc. It has short handlebars though, and a tiny little seat. I'll have to post pics later and get your opinions. Can I simply change the forks and put on a longer, flatter seat to get it looking more like a cafe bike? I'm absolutely not the kind of guy to pull off the bike the way it is... The fron of the tank aims up at the sky, and the bike sort of leans back, like the rider is slipping off over the back tire and hanging onto the bars for dear life... Is this a frame difference? Ah, I guess I'll have to post pics. Hang on. Gimme a few hours to get home (posted from phone)

Posted via Mobile

Back