hi

pickpocket

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hi i am new and i have found a 82 xs650 for a bobber build. its been for sell for about 8 months now and he is asking 1500 for it. its look fairly in good shape for a 82 bike. but my question is. what should i look for? anything diff on a 82 model? i believe its a standard, it has spoke wheels. any info will be great

thanks
chris:thumbsup:

xs650.jpg

u think its worth 1500? not as nice as others i have seen for less.

XS 650's are like real estate. Seems like , location, location, location. Paid 700 for my 79 special with 15K miles, running. Some say too much, others say they'd pay that double. ? Do you think it's worth it, and how bad do you want it? If it's been for sale for 8 months, lowball him and see what happens.

Hi,

I can't imagine paying $1500 for something I'm going to cut up... but that's me. That's a Heritage Special, not a standard. Price is determined by your location. Another factor is your level of ability and patience. ANY motorcycle is a suitable candidate for chopping, depending on what you plan to do with it.

im in houston
im going to bob it
so you guys say to much. i was going to lowball him anyways.
level of ability: i can do anything from paint to welding to rebuilding the motor ;)

thanks for the heads up heritage special

ok bike has 15,000 miles on it and runs what would u pay for it

15,000miles not running what would u pay for it

300 to 500 not running
500 to 800 running... good
How are the rims and spokes those are the major appearance $$$ that you will probably want to use.
But I am cheap and not in a hurry.

first, dont tell the seller yu are going to chop it up, that way you can cut him down in price because it will need side covers, and maintanace. if you tell them any thing, tell them you are using it to save gas, during the gas hikes this summer.
If it runs, and gets around the block, throw a grand at him, see if he bites, if it wont start, who knows whats wrong with it, offer 800.

Hey Pickpocket,

I live in Houston, too. Whereabouts are you?

Me, if I were to pay $1500 for an XS it would have to be in exceptionally nice condition. That's on the high side of the value for an '82 Heritage Special, and likely the reason why the guy's been trying to sell it for 8 months.

A couple years ago, I picked up a '70 XS-1 basket case and a '78 E standard for $500 for the pair. The '78 wasn't running but at least had good compression. I kinda felt like I paid too much for the pair, but then I was able to sell off most of the XS-1 parts, and by the time the dust settled, I'd made $50 profit on the deal, so I got the '78 for free. And it was the one I was after anyway for a cafe project.

I bought my '81 SH, a runner in decent shape, ten years ago for $600. It had a couple of issues, which was why it was "only" $600, but they were easy to fix. I'm thinking about selling it. It needs a new rear tire and a battery, and if I do put it up for sale, I'll be asking $1200 obo for it (with the new tire and battery of course). Here in Houston, I feel that price is fair for a running XS650 that doesn't have repair issues.

Deals are out there, you just gotta be prepared to jump on them when you find 'em.

Did the Heritage Special have painted fenders and headlight bucket, or was that something a previous owner did? They're chrome on my '81 SH.

Did the Heritage Special have painted fenders and headlight bucket, or was that something a previous owner did? They're chrome on my '81 SH.

'82 was painted stock. '83 is chromed out.
I'd be checking the electrical system on that one. Seems rotors start to fade around 28 years and 15,000 miles.
For chopping, I'd look for a cheaper runner.

im in houston
im going to bob it
so you guys say to much. i was going to lowball him anyways.
level of ability: i can do anything from paint to welding to rebuilding the motor ;)

thanks for the heads up heritage special

ok bike has 15,000 miles on it and runs what would u pay for it

15,000miles not running what would u pay for it

i just paid 1,000 for my 81, factory clean and fresh , garage kept 6k on the odo.

I thought I got a great deal, My buddy just got a 79 with the dual disc up front, fresh rebuild motor, nice ignition and slide carbs, 2 into 1 header, oil filter conversion and so many other $ items on this bike, it made my great deal look like I got a chump deal. Both of these were in houston within the last month. keep looking $1.5K for 15k miles in that condition is to much in my opinion. There are tons of the xs in this area, there is a guy in angleton that has craploads of em for sale

I'd be checking the electrical system on that one. Seems rotors start to fade around 28 years and 15,000 miles.

In my experience, there ain't no "seems" to it. Dead OEM rotors are practically a given on these bikes. But the good news is that Custom Rewind in Alabama does an outstanding job on their rebuilds.

I recently got an 82 in almost the same shape. $325. It took about 15 minutes to get it running, not great but running.

i just paid 1,000 for my 81, factory clean and fresh , garage kept 6k on the odo.

I thought I got a great deal, My buddy just got a 79 with the dual disc up front, fresh rebuild motor, nice ignition and slide carbs, 2 into 1 header, oil filter conversion and so many other $ items on this bike, it made my great deal look like I got a chump deal. Both of these were in houston within the last month. keep looking $1.5K for 15k miles in that condition is to much in my opinion. There are tons of the xs in this area, there is a guy in angleton that has craploads of em for sale
where in angleton? got a web page? pm me

I recently got an 82 in almost the same shape. $325. It took about 15 minutes to get it running, not great but running.

bingo thanks man that what i was thinking 500 at the most

too much! remind him that while it does look like one, it is certainly not a Triumph. hah

lol will do :thumbsup:

Hey Pickpocket,

I live in Houston, too. Whereabouts are you?

Me, if I were to pay $1500 for an XS it would have to be in exceptionally nice condition. That's on the high side of the value for an '82 Heritage Special, and likely the reason why the guy's been trying to sell it for 8 months.

A couple years ago, I picked up a '70 XS-1 basket case and a '78 E standard for $500 for the pair. The '78 wasn't running but at least had good compression. I kinda felt like I paid too much for the pair, but then I was able to sell off most of the XS-1 parts, and by the time the dust settled, I'd made $50 profit on the deal, so I got the '78 for free. And it was the one I was after anyway for a cafe project.

I bought my '81 SH, a runner in decent shape, ten years ago for $600. It had a couple of issues, which was why it was "only" $600, but they were easy to fix. I'm thinking about selling it. It needs a new rear tire and a battery, and if I do put it up for sale, I'll be asking $1200 obo for it (with the new tire and battery of course). Here in Houston, I feel that price is fair for a running XS650 that doesn't have repair issues.

Deals are out there, you just gotta be prepared to jump on them when you find 'em.

pm sent man

finale got the guy to send me more pics and the milage so here u go
MVC-006S.jpg

MVC-005S.jpg

MVC-007S.jpg

MVC-004S.jpg

MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-003S.jpg

MVC-001S.jpg

so a 82 xs650 heritage special NOT running with 10,118 miles on it

missing air box, side covers + who knows why it's not running = $400. fixing a broken motor could end up costing hundreds

tell him the cylinders could be ruined, the replacement kit is $400

It may have not been wrecked, but ask him who wrecked it. If he ask why you think it was wrecked, tell him the front turn signals, mirrors and fenders are not stock.

Back