Hmm.. What is this? (relay?)

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
Looking to identify this mystery relay looking thing under the tank on my 1979 Special.

To the left of where I'm pointing is the blinker relay.

I'm looking to identify what I'm pointing at.

Great! My pictures are turning themselves upside down again when i post them...

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 268
Laugh if you will but like my turn signal canceler! I like to gauge turning on the signal so it self cancels right after the corner.
Yeah I am THAT easily entertained.

Laugh if you will but like my turn signal canceler! I like to gauge turning on the signal so it self cancels right after the corner.

Gary: It has never worked since I had the bike and I just wasn't all about troubleshooting some of those "70's good ideas". I eliminated that, the light checker, the reserve lighting unit and a healthy amount of wires along with them.

Gary: It has never worked since I had the bike and I just wasn't all about troubleshooting some of those "70's good ideas". I eliminated that, the light checker, the reserve lighting unit and a healthy amount of wires along with them.

Hi Pete,
most likely it never worked because your dreaded PO had replaced the appallingly expensive stock flasher with a less expensive one when the stocker died.
The stocker is the ONLY one that'll work with the self-canceller.

I have many different bikes and I ride other peoples bikes often, non-self cancelling signals are a PITA after you get used to the convenience. Two pennies for ya.

Scott

Hi Gary,
then this little tid-bit should amuse you.
We all know the stock flasher needs (27 + 27 + 3 = 57) Watts load or it just turns on steady.
What I discovered was that when I removed my XS11 rig's rightside signals and ran the wiring to it's three sidecar signals which increased the load to (22 + 22 + 22 + 3 = 69) Watts the stock flasher went click - click - click on left turns and went clickclickclick on right turns.
For about a week, then the flasher burned out.
The electronic replacement don't work with the self-canceller but it's NOT load sensitive.
It keeps the same cadence no matter what the load.
Even when I mistook a black wire for a dark brown wire and shorted it out the flasher cadenced at it's proper rate for four clicks before the fuse blew. Took Mr Stupid three fuses to discover the problem.
Having learned my lesson, I kept the XS650 rig's signals in place and ran LED repeater signals on the sidecar. You can just about notice that the rightside flashes a little bit faster but the XS650's stock flasher has survived, so far anyway.

Jees I NEVER have ridden around with a blinker flashing IDIOT RIDER aboard for miles and miles........

Another mystery module, found this yesterday in a parts box w/engine bolts from a project bike, Clues?

Tanx alot 009 (Medium).JPG

Tanx alot 008 (Medium).JPG

Hi Gary,
nearest I can find on the wiring diagram, indeed, just about the only 3-wire module at all,
is a flasher unit.
Although they are wired black; brown/white & green/white.
Your mystery module does have the typical Yamaha rubber frame mount and the same physical shape as a flasher unit but it's wired black; brown/white & solid green.
Mind you, the solid green wire's other end has a ring end so it might be an orphan?

Hi Pete,
most likely it never worked because your dreaded PO had replaced the appallingly expensive stock flasher with a less expensive one when the stocker died.
The stocker is the ONLY one that'll work with the self-canceller.

Fred:

That's why I love posting here. NOTHING gets missed!

PO actually did not do this. I did. When I bought the bike, it had all original turn signals. The canceller, however, did not work.

I replaced the turn signals with some that were black like the frame and just a wee bit smaller than the stockers. While still incandescent, the bulbs did not draw enough of a load to use the stock flasher, so it's in a box along with the RLU and some other stuff.

I don't mind having to cancel manually. I'm not perfect with cancelling it every time, but I'm pretty damn close - I did also leave the indicator on the dash for that reason.

There is an easy way to check out what an electrical part is. Count the number of wires, note the colors of the wires. Most everything has different combinations of the number of wires and colors. Look on a wiring diagram for a parts that have the same combination as the part you are trying to identify.
Leo

Back