Hola All

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
Just picked up my first xs650 and actually my first motorbike period. See the pics below. Got this off a friend of a friend and plan on turning it into a bobber. I hope this dream gets realized and doesn't just rot out in the garage. Plan on rebuilding everything from the trans/motor and on up so I am sure I will be pinging this forum with lots of questions.

Looking forward to talking with everyone soon when I get this project going.

1978 xs650s

Attachments

• IMG_6460.jpg
    IMG_6460.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6461.jpg
    IMG_6461.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6462.jpg
    IMG_6462.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 146
Welcome to the site! That's a nice looking bike, and for a first bike, the XS is about perfect: simple enough, powerful enough, and parts are easily available. Feel free to ask the guys around here anything---someone, somewhere has already solved all the problems that can occur on an XS.

Enjoy!

Welcome alfredo, The bike looks good :thumbsup: You say you want to totally rebuild before you even know what you have. First off you should know what you have got and the condition of the bike before stripping or chopping. If it is a goer ride it for a bit and get the feel of the bike and relate it to any information you have read and answers to any questions that you will ask .......Check list .........Here is a good online manual, down loadable. ....Online manual ......... Here is everything you need to know on setting up and tuning the BS carburetors on your bike ......the holy grail of carbs .........also down loadable. Check out the tech section here and there is more info ..........HERE...... Here is a great parts list with the part no's for the XS's.....References and Info..... Read all that then come back and bombard and bamboozle the experts with all your questions .......... Get a licence and good luck with your bike :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice and welcome. 1978 was a good year, I have owned a few bike built in 1978... I guess I would say it's may favourite year. Have fun with your XS650. Keep us posted.

I too have just picked up my first XS650 and still have not had a chance to ride it. If you go soon let me know how it feels... Do they really shake

Enjoy

Welcome alfredo, The bike looks good :thumbsup: You say you want to totally rebuild before you even know what you have. First off you should know what you have got and the condition of the bike before stripping or chopping. If it is a goer ride it for a bit and get the feel of the bike and relate it to any information you have read and answers to any questions that you will ask .......Check list .........Here is a good online manual, down loadable. ....Online manual ......... Here is everything you need to know on setting up and tuning the BS carburetors on your bike ......the holy grail of carbs .........also down loadable. Check out the tech section here and there is more info ..........HERE...... Here is a great parts list with the part no's for the XS's.....References and Info..... Read all that then come back and bombard and bamboozle the experts with all your questions .......... Get a licence and good luck with your bike :thumbsup:

Thanks for this! I will be doing the checklist first thing Monday morning! :cheers:

Do they really shake

Never heard of backward center stand racing? :laugh:

Alfredo, any particular reason for strapping the bike in the back of the truck like that? I always just use a strap on each side of the handlebars or triple trees and have them going down and forward to the front corners of the box. Compress the front end a little bit and it's not going anywhere. :thumbsup:

Back