Holding Wiring Under Rear Fender

501Spanky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What compound do you guys use to stick wires under the rear fender? I have my turn signal and tail light wires run through the fender and I need to bond them along the underside of the fender.

We had several posts last (?) year about stringing taillight harnesses around the fender, but dang if I can find 'em. I like soldering tubing just inside the fender's lip, string the wiring thru that...

The picture below is the underside of my fiberglass seat. I used aluminum wire, used to tire fencing to steel posts and J-B weld for my wiring hangers or loops. I bent a short flat section then a V and another flat section so the epoxy had something to grip. I taped the hoops in position until the JB Weld setup. The wiring is run inside of un-shrunk heat shrink tubing. Very solid.

Attachments

• Under Seat Wiring.jpg
    Under Seat Wiring.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 213
Thanks for the advice guys! My fender is already finish painted so no heat will be involved ;-)
I think I will go with a combination of unshrunk heat shrink tubing and 3M VHB tape. I have used the VHB tape in other applications and it is really good stuff!

Thanks for the advice guys! My fender is already finish painted so no heat will be involved ;-)
I think I will go with a combination of unshrunk heat shrink tubing and 3M VHB tape. I have used the VHB tape in other applications and it is really good stuff!

Yeah don't over think it, this or duct tape on a clean surface that is never see will be fine.

This was suggested to me on here by some wizard....

Get some Aluminium Fuel Line. JB Weld it to the underside and feed wire down there. Its hard. Sticks well. Easy to bend to shape and protects the wire. Basically it totally nailed it. I tried tapes first, but honestly, it was a bit shit. You could paint the fuel line in advance since your fender is already painted.

You must be close to Canada.

I sure miss the ol' Red Green Show...

The address suggests he is one of yours, but we may have kicked him out for watching too many Red/Green shows. ha ha ha

In 6 months time duck tape turns to shit under ideal conditions.

Can't imagine what would happen under a fender, with a rear tire spinning at warp speeds.

I see electrical issues and question in the crystal ball. ha ha ha

I have tack welded on small flat clips every so often and ran the wires above them. My favorite method is to fix a tube, brake line works well, and run the wires thru that. Not a fan of the bonding stuff, but JB Weld would be my choice if done properly.

I've never watched any Canadian tv so I guess I missed the reference and I don't even run my wiring under my fender, but I've seen plenty of guys that do and after several years a 2-3" strip along the radius of the fender still hasn't moved. Although you are right duct tape won't hold up long term, what I meant to say was the aluminum duct work tape, the kind used in HVAC.

Back