Holes in my tank!

Reaction score
Hey guys so I started to sand off all the paint on my tank to repaint it, then low and behold, beneath the paint and a thin layer of possibly epoxy I found hold on the underside of my tank (see picutres.) Im guessing epoxy will fix that right up. But I'd love to hear some cheap ideas to fix this thing up right. Thanks!!:D

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 272
Since they aren't all in the seam the (w)hole tank is suspect. I would not epoxy a gas tank. I did recently toss one I got that had an epoxy/fiberglass repair, it was hopeless. You might try solder or brazing. (insert warning about flame and old gas tanks they can kill you) Get that done then a two part slosh liner. But realize the tank is no longer as strong as a new one........... Accident= bad, accident with a split gas tank = death. If it makes you feel any better I have one early tank, perfect not a dent or scrape but it's swiss cheese, at least a hundred holes, makes a nice rafter hanging....

If it looks like that on the outside, what does the inside look like? My guess would be to pitch it. You don't want to fuck around with a leaky fuel tank. Even if you patch it, it could fail.

I appreciate the comment, but honestly I don't really have the money to toss around and buy a new gas tank. You really don't think epoxy would work?? And what do you guys think about welding the holes shut?? the holes really are tiny, and I even have taken my bike around the block, and had zero leakage. I don't know what do you guys think about those two options?

you could mig weld the holes ( be sure to flush out the tank really good with soap and water) after its welded up I would use red kote or some kind of gas tank sealant on the inside

We used to send tanks out for welding, then I learned to do it. Takes a little welding finesse, followed by pressure testing and sealing. Best to find an experienced shop for this...

Braze or solder is a better choice if you elect to repair. DO NOT attempt to fix those holes yourself with a MIG, unless you are REALLY skilled, you will just turn small holes into LARGE holes and warp the snot out of the tank. But as several have said there is no cure for a rotting gas tank. Any year XS tank will slide right on your early frame. Better the wrong tank than a rotten tank.

I just went through this with my 70s DT250 tank. You DO NOT want to try MIG welding those holes. I found out the hard way that older tanks were constructed from 24ga steel which is damn near impossible to weld unless you are a very good welder. Brazing or silver solder is what you will need to use. You also need to figure out a way to pressure test the tank to ensure there aren't any razor thin spots that are about to go.

As gggGary and FrkyMnky say, solder is the best because it doesn't make the steel brittle like welding will. And, it will flow and find hidden holes in seams.

But, back to the original poster: I had a leaky stock early CB750 tank with perfect paint and no dents. Solder, brazing or welding would have ruined the paint. I used VersaChem "Magnum" Instant Gas Tank Repair from any auto parts store. It is a putty type epoxy, and it worked just fine, although I don't have long-term knowledge. I very carefully cleaned and then made the repair, and when I put gas in it seeped -- but then it sealed. I think it is actually formulated such that gas chemically activates it and completes the repair. In any case, for about $3 it's the way to go if you want to cheap out. But I also agree with what has been said -- from your pics, that tank needs a Caswell tank seal kit, and if you're going to go to that much time and expense, you might as well just find another good used XS650 tank.

Thanks guys I appreciate the comments everyone! I found someone to braze it for me, Ill probably do that then get some red kote seal off the inside. If any of you know a lot of electrical I'd love to get some other advice on my other thread "ran for minutes then quit, advice please" Check it out, i could use some help. I know nothing about electrical, also some problem with my right side spark plug being wet while running. Thanks!

Back