1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Honey, I shrunk the tank...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Oddjob, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Oddjob

Oddjob adsgads

Just curious, has anyone modified a stock "special" tank by shortening it, and perhaps even scalloping the sides, so that it will work with a hard tailed bobber?

[​IMG]

2. Not that I know of, but anything is possible if you out your mind to it!

3. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Oddjob,
    a quote from a graffiti book:-
    This effin' outhouse is no good at all, the seat is too high and the hole is too small.
    And underneath in different handwriting
    To this I must add the obvious retort, your arse is too big and your legs are too short.
    Or in your case,
    a Special tank is already too small so leave it alone.
    Move the seat back so it clears the tank and set it up level so you don't slide off it.

4. Oddjob

Oddjob adsgads

Well I decided to give this a go... This is my first cut at it (literally)... Hopefully it won't be too much of nightmare getting the side scallops sheet metal to line up...

[​IMG]

5. Oddjob

Oddjob adsgads

Lol too late... I actually like where the seat is in relation to the mid controls... Although I do wish it were a little more level... Might move it back a little...

6. fredintoon

Hi Oddjob,
    getting a good scallop alignment just takes patience.
    Welding it all together with minimal warpage and zero leaks takes skill.
    My own lumpy leaky efforts at tank modification ended up at the landfill.

7. wherearewe

wherearewe Rub on Ya Titties

It's real easy to end up with pin holes in the welds. Gas is even thinner than water...

8. angus67

angus67 Welder's penetrate deeper!!

U can always line the tank when you are done . Why do you put down others efforts without a suggestion to prevent error, Fred? Seems like a trend, or is it just me?

9. fredintoon

Hi angus,
    my trend is to advise folks against doing unsafe things.
    When I see posts bragging on how they've "improved" their bike by removing their turn signals &/or their front brake I gotta tell 'em it's a daft idea, eh?

10. Oddjob

Oddjob adsgads

Yes, I was planning to leak test with low pressure air to chase any faulty welds, and then additionally sealing the tank...

Well, that's two things that you won't need to advise me on... :D

11. fredintoon

Hi Oddjob,
    not you, no. But there are others. All I see from your photo is the hardtail and that ain't unsafe, it's just uncomfortable on a long ride.
    There's an old Scottish saying:-
    Bairns and fools shouldna see a boat half-built
    But you do plan on installing a rear fender?
    I've a mental image of a rider bouncing off his solo seat, landing on the rear tire and the "ingoing nip" ripping his nuts off.
    And that wouldn't be safe at all, eh?

12. weaselbeak

weaselbeak XS650 Junkie

I lined a homebuilt tank for a guy years ago that had a dozen good sized pinholes. It still holds gas with no problem. 2 coats of Red-Kote is golden.

13. angus67

angus67 Welder's penetrate deeper!!

I understand that you mean no harm, Infact informing the general public about turning back bike evolution is fine and dandy, but every new poster isn't a rube to the ahem,, art of triangling their frames. We don't need to tsk,tsk a new poster. If someone asked specifically my opinion on chopping or keeping the swing arm, we may post pros and cons.nbut if someone asks about a carb problem, and happens to flash a picture of their hard tailed frame, I leave the frame issue alone, and try to help get his bike on the road.
    The more bikes on the road is less
    Carbon in the air, and have fun doing it

14. Oddjob

Oddjob adsgads

I was going to post something along the lines of "thanks for thinking of my nuts"... but I shouldn't as really don't know you that well :D

15. Higgy

Higgy XS650 Addict

NH
    Ugh! I too get that very same image every time I see one without a rear fender - especially when they've mounted the seat with a pretty severe angle. Man, I can feel that in my balls just talking about it. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

16. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Busy erasing mental images.

17. Oddjob

Oddjob adsgads

Getting close to getting the tank welded up...

[​IMG]

18. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

19. Higgy

Higgy XS650 Addict

NH
    I agree. That looks nice.

20. Nailbomb

Nailbomb Central New York XS650

When I heard the idea i was skeptical. Its looking better than I thought it would have. Keep it up.