Honey... I shrunk the TCI box

Nooovie

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, I know the best way to shrink the TCI is to go Pamco, and after I stop pouring $$$ into the other parts of the build I probably will go that route. But in the meantime... I have to shove it all into the fake oil tank.

So, on my quest to reduce the electronics so they would actually fit into the 4 x 8in oil tank cylinder, I ran into a problem of fitting the bulky ignition unit. Now, if I didn't have a shelf in the middle of it, I'd probably be ok. So I had to somehow make it smaller. Cracking the black TCI box open revealed a small circuit board and lots of room above it. So, searching the house for a cheap alternative that would house the circuit board, I came across an old 3.5in floppy disk case. You guys remember those? :D I think it meant to hold 3 disks.

floppy01.jpg

So, out went the old floppies, and in went the TCI. I still have to epoxy the screws in that hold the circuit board, and drill some holes for venting so the electronics don't fry but it looks like a decent alternative at less than half the height, and being plastic, it keeps the circuit board from accidentally grounding inside the tank.

Thought I'd share this hack with you guys. Here are some pics...

6d90eccc-1.jpg
be0c6e79-1.jpg

64bf8964-1.jpg
598704f9-1.jpg

I hope to pop it in the tank tomorrow to see how it fits... It should be ok.

That heatsink needs some air circulation. Could melt the plastic near it.

Ya.. If it's going in a good oil tank your prob better off just putting the circuit board inside. Mount it on some of the little plastic motorboard mounting studs.

Hmm good point. Thanks for the input guys. You're right, I could always just use the base of that disk box and cut off the top. Or make a hole around the heatsink? That way all the other electronics ares still protected from getting shorted. Safety first! :thumbsup:

inna-resting! good luck. I cut the mounting tabs off mine, so I could shove it into a partition in the front part of my battery box. Hope it works, too.

That's a good idea too emzdogz. I'm hoping to fab up an 8 link lithium battery eventually to eliminate my lead-acid brick, so I would have extra room eventually. Keeping the TCI that low would cut down on a shipload of wiring going up to the tank. Just worried about exposure to moisture if you get caught in the rain. But if it's an enclosed and gasketed battery box... :umm: Where's my drawing board? Time to get back to it :D Still a fan of keeping it slim though

The original TCI box is sealed up, so I wouldn't worry much about the heat it produces. It has a tiny hole that functions as a drain. I might make holes no bigger than 1/8" over the big transistor and over the IC chip and mount it with the holes facing down. And perhaps put a thin moisture barrier of some kind over the board. The general guideline for heat is a transistor or chip is not too hot unless it's too hot to keep your finger on. Then it needs more heat sinking or better ventilation. So fire it up and see how hot it gets in the box.

Back