How can you identify cdi from tci

Ickystaycee

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm rewiring my bike to clean it up and who really wants 33 year old wire? I've read that some people claim that xs650 does not have cdi. I've also been told that they can have either one. I have a 1980 xs650. The bizzare thing is I have electronic ignition and mock points and condenser. I'm thinking someone must have added electronic ignition, at some point. Is there a difference in the way you would wire it up to the coil? How can I tell which one i have. I'm a girl so be nice.

xs650's in the states from '80 on up had tci ignitions. cdi is a different type of ignition that was never used on these bikes. you will find sometimes though people misuse the term 'cdi' to describe their ignition. there are many great wiring diagrams located in the tech section of this site.

not sure about the 'mock' points you describe. do you have any pics?

oh, and welcome to the greatest site for xs650's!!!

Thanks so much. I just say "mock points" because thre are still points but they are not hooked up to anything but the condenser. They are not in use. I should just take them out.

in most circumstances, with electronic ignition, a trigger of some sort will take the place of the points, quite literally. I too, am curious to see your setup

Hey Ickystaycee, welcome to the 'forum'!

Back in the `70s, CDI (capacitive discharge ignition) was the hot new ignition introduced by Kawas*ki, to fire thru fouling with their new surface-gap plugs on their hot 2-stroke triples. Still used transistors, but CDI was their trademark. Those Mach series bikes that used this were definately 'hot'...

On a CDI ignition the ignition charged a very large capacitor. When the CDI box determines when the plugs should fire it discharges the capacitor through the coil. The capaxitor gets charged to a voltage much higher than the battery can supply. This as well as coil design creates a much stronger spark.
On the TCI it uses a transister to turn the coil on/off just like points do. With no moving parts it won't change timing like points. There's more to it on advance and such but these are the basics.
And as said by deadchef the XS650 never used a CDI.
70-79 used points, in 80 they started using the TCI. Stateside anyway, some places they used points past 80.
To rewire your bike, up in the XS650 TECH section you will find a link to Some wiring diagrams. Look through them, find one that uses the parts you have.
I like this one. It shows the basic points set up. It has boxes that have upgrades, like TCI, combo reg/rec and starter. Just swap the boxes to match what you have.
If someone swapped an older engine into your bike, they just left the points in the engine. Does it also have the advancer under the right side cover and the rod between them?
The points run off the cam. The TCI runs off the crank. The TCI box uses signals from the pick up on the stator. The pick ups get triggered by a magnet mounted in the rotor.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,295
The numbers match. Someone must have just up graded at somepoint. Xsleo that's the diagram I liked too. Ill take pics when I gets chance. It's nothing amazing it just has points like they were too lazy to take them out. They are non operational. Hooked up to outer space. Thank you for all your help. I have friends to ask questions to but a lot of the time they just treat me like I'm a know nothing girl. I've been turning wrenches since I was 10, thanks dad!

It not that we need to be amazed,
Sometimes it jaut helps for us to see.
Along with a picture of under the points cover include a shot from under the round cover on the left case cover.

On the points and associated hardware, you can remove them or let them ride along.
The current Pamco uses those parts. The new and improved version with electronic advance doesn't use them. The new Pamco will be out and proven before your TCI craps out. So you can pull the points and associated parts And keep them or remove and sell them. You choose.
Leo

Back