1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

How difficult is it to replace a shift shaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ledue, May 4, 2012.

1. ledue

ledue XS650 New Member

My friend just bought a 1980 XS650 that has been turned into a bobber. Once he got it home and took it on the first ride the shifter fell off. Upon inspection it appears that it was sort of welded on to the shaft somehow as the set screw has been ground down smooth. It wouldn't surprise me if the guy he bought it off of did this to make it look "clean". Inside the shifter it took about a quarter inch of the end of the shaft with it. Looking online it appears that the if you just take the right side cover off you can access the shift shaft and just pull it out and slide a new one in. I did a little forum search but found nothing about this particular job. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

2. turn left

turn left Go Fast & Turn Left

XS650 Forum > General Discussion > The Garage
    > shifter shaft replacement (spline worn off)

Q:
    A:

3. ledue

ledue XS650 New Member

thank you thank you

4. AceofSpades

AceofSpades XS650 Addict

bump/mark for near future reference

5. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

That's one version of holding tool. If you have access to a welder, a cheaper alternative is to acquire an extra steel plate and weld a handle to it .....

[​IMG]

6. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

.....or simply put the bike in first and hold rear brake on while removing the clutch nut with an impact gun.

Of course, that would require that you are able to shift into first.....

7. muskallunge

muskallunge XS650 Enthusiast

It shifts fine just has stripped teeth where shifting pedal slides onto

MaxPete likes this.
  8. muskallunge

muskallunge XS650 Enthusiast