How do I integrate tail light into my turn signals?

Rogue21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been working on my project and have been trying to decide what I am going to do for turn signals/tail light. Here in Wisconsin, turn signals are required by law (for bikes after '72). I thought I might try to integrate my tail/brake light into my directional lights and eliminate the actual tail light. The Harley Nightster (and maybe some others) have a set up light this, and I'm wondering how I would wire this and what type of special parts would I need to accomplish this? As far as current wiring goes, I have none, so the design is still up in the air. I have also been seeing a lot of modules to eliminate turn signals (mostly on sport bikes) and integrate with the tail light. Since I am looking to do the opposite, I'm not sure if those would work for me.

Last edited:
I think they sell electronics boxes (mainly for sportbikes) to do this, that is where I would start. Shouldn't be too hard once you have the box.

I think they sell electronics boxes (mainly for sportbikes) to do this, that is where I would start. Shouldn't be too hard once you have the box.

It's a basic logic circuit but probably one of those things worth purchasing if they can be had inexpensively. I would search around sportbike forums, they often have tails with integrated turns to clean up the back end.

~ Derek

I had an FZ1 that I bought and they used a UHaul box to integrate the turns into the tail lights, which makes sense since a trailer uses a left and right turn as the brake light also.

I had an FZ1 that I bought and they used a UHaul box to integrate the turns into the tail lights, which makes sense since a trailer uses a left and right turn as the brake light also.

I saw another member on the XS forums that also used a UHAUL box. It seems like a good idea, but then would I put in a separate circuit for the front directionals? Otherwise wouldnt my front lights get brighter every time I hit the brakes?

The following diagram will work.

By putting the 3 diodes inline with the brake switch it means that the brightness of the two signal lamps/ brake lights will be less intense when the brake switch is active, and then when the blinkers are activated they will flash brighter for the duration of the blink.

The two diodes on the bottom prevent the left turn signal from activating the right signal lamps and vice versa.

turn_and_brake-1.png

This is the one I built for my bike.
turnbox.gif

It uses single-element LED bulbs for the tail lights and conventional bulbs for the front turn signals. If LEDs are used on the front then you need to add a pull-down resistor to each.

I drew this one up for use with conventional dual-element bulbs in the rear.
TurnRelay.jpg

It uses two standard automotive relays and a resistor. It would also work with LED bulbs but, again, with LEDS on the front you would need to add pull-down resistors.

I did this back in '83, found the easiest way is to buy one of these.

http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/lights.aspx

The Priority Light instructions don't seem to match the the diagram (which mentions a blue wire that is non-existent in the Priority Light but is on the Priority Plus. The diagram is also odd in that it calls for cutting (but not subsequent splicing) of the tail light wires. It should be clear that these need to receive power from the unit, but I could see how some people might scratch their heads over this.

I am planning to run a dual-filament tail/brake light in the center, and single-filament amber lights as additional tail lights. This unit would work for that. However, I was wondering whether it wouldn't be cheaper to rewire the turn signal housings to receive a dual-filament bulb, and simply run leads from the tail light feed. I haven't received my signal lights, so I don't know whether this is feasible.

The Priority Light instructions don't seem to match the the diagram (which mentions a blue wire that is non-existent in the Priority Light but is on the Priority Plus. The diagram is also odd in that it calls for cutting (but not subsequent splicing) of the tail light wires. It should be clear that these need to receive power from the unit, but I could see how some people might scratch their heads over this.

I am planning to run a dual-filament tail/brake light in the center, and single-filament amber lights as additional tail lights. This unit would work for that. However, I was wondering whether it wouldn't be cheaper to rewire the turn signal housings to receive a dual-filament bulb, and simply run leads from the tail light feed. I haven't received my signal lights, so I don't know whether this is feasible.

Like I said I did this in 1983, the instructions seemed quite clear to me as I recall. Priority Lites coupler converts your single filament lamps to all fuctions: tail, brake and turn. Red lenses must be substituted for amber.

http://www.soundoffrec.com/docs/rqt0cbiqga35uu30ov1fqlqm3.pdf

The written instructions still seem clear and I see a blue wire on the diagram.

XS650 turn signal housings will easily accept dual-filament sockets - the issue is that the threaded stems need to be drilled out to a diameter that will pass two wires. I did this to some turn signals that I first bobbed by sawing at the step, using dual-filament sockets from a Virago, and used them as front running lights/turn signals. Another forum member accomplished the same thing by using smaller-diameter wire, made for aircraft wiring, IIRC. Red lenses are available for these housings.

Are you planning/hoping to use the stock turn-signal lenses/housings, or are you open to using other parts? There are several tail/brake/turn lights available in pairs that will get you there with no additional wiring hassles. I used X-Arc Duos from High Tech Speed; each light has a separate wire for tail, brake, and turn (plus a ground), so just wire them in as usual.

Thanks a lot guy! There is some really go info in here. I ordered a set of dual filament LED turn signals that should arrive next week and I can test out some wiring

I saw another member on the XS forums that also used a UHAUL box. It seems like a good idea, but then would I put in a separate circuit for the front directionals? Otherwise wouldnt my front lights get brighter every time I hit the brakes?

That would be me, this is the box under my tank from UHAUL (http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Wiring-lights/Tow-vehicle-wiring/Trailer-Light-Power-Module?id=4074). I have running lights, then they get brighter when I hit the brake, turn signals. And if I hit the brakes while I have my turn signal on, One is bright and the other flashes. I have all the functions (running, brake, and turn signals) in two duel filament bulbs.

That would be me, this is the box under my tank from UHAUL (http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Wiring-lights/Tow-vehicle-wiring/Trailer-Light-Power-Module?id=4074). I have running lights, then they get brighter when I hit the brake, turn signals. And if I hit the brakes while I have my turn signal on, One is bright and the other flashes. I have all the functions (running, brake, and turn signals) in two duel filament bulbs.

Hey Grepper - how hard was making this uhaul wiring work? Any tips / suggestions about doing the same thing?

Hey Grepper - how hard was making this uhaul wiring work? Any tips / suggestions about doing the same thing?

Not hard at all.
2011-08-04_19-35-56_646.jpg

If you can read the lables on the box. Going in, from top to bottom, Ground (-), Tail Light (+), Left Turn (+), Stop (+), Right Turn (+), Power from Battery (+). Then coming out, Tail Light (+), Left Turn (+), Right Turn (+). There's also a ground (-), but I'm picking up the ground near the tail lights.
You can also not use the Tail Light parts, because it just passes through the box and provide power to it else ware.

The cost of the UHAL box you can just buy one of the tail lights that have all BRAKE RUNNING TURNSIGNAL and take the board out and use it or just use the light. I used this one on this bike with the headlight turnsignals. You can buy the tail light for less than $30.00 and its led. The board in this one would fit in a stock XS650 tail light easy.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 567
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 554
  • 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 698
Thanks Grepper, this is useful.

DaddyGCycles - Thanks for that info to, your light looks nice and a steal for $30. However I'm specifically trying to get an effect with two round brake lights that also function as the turn signal.

Back