How do you carry tools/equipment on your XS650???

Hairyblackdude

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Team,

I'm getting tired of lugging a backpack with me when riding to carry a small roll of tools for the bike..

Im looking into getting some sort of storage bag or compartment mounted somewhere..

Was checking out some fork bags.. They all seem really big or have HD logos and fringe all over them.. Most of them are like 10-12" wide and would stick out a few inches on our forks..

I have a hard tailed bike.. The only other place I could think of would be directly behind my seat against the fender, but Im not sure how it would mount or look..

Im not crazy about the magnetic tank bags..

What does everyone use for storage? Pics would be nice..

Thanks.
_marc

put it behind your seat. it mounts with bungee cords. im still in the backpack stage. im carrying enough tools to completely disassemble and rewire my bike.

If you don't want the bag on the front or back that leaves the....sides?
I don't know the "look" you are gunning for so maybe a single side bag or a small set of older saddlebags from an equine lover? They are usually 1< real leather 2< come with cool factor d-rings and straps 3< can be found in smaller sizes.

you can alway go like this... plus same amount of storage on the other side :bike:

Attachments

• S6300131.jpg
    S6300131.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 290
I carry tolls in the tool box space, strapped under the seat and in my pockets (jacket weighs about 20 lbs) When mine was chopped many moons and many scars ago, I used to keep a small tool pouch on the sissy bar.

A luggage rack is real handy and makes the bike look bigger, too. Saddle bags are easiest for small items. Try to minimize size and weight it what you feel you need to take, but that can be real hard.

Im not opposed to having anything on the front or back of the bike.. I just dont want this huge pouch that dwarfs the front end..

Im really digging these rolls, but they are coming from India at a $70 price tag !!

$(KGrHqZ,!jgE5GG+vd)GBOZk94FNew~~60_12.jpg

No place for saddle bags on the bike either!
Although, I do remember seeing side bags for hard tails.. They were cut out in that "triangle" shaped.. But I dont think I can use them.. One side of the bike has the chain & the other has the rear brake assembly..

Like this !!
db1.jpg

I would use a left side solo "triangle" shaped bag. Properly mounted, the chain is not a problem. This is what "everyone" does, in my opinion. Research it, you should find several manufacturers and lots of mounted examples. The problem with the right side is not the brake, it is the kick-starter.

Im not opposed to having anything on the front or back of the bike.. I just dont want this huge pouch that dwarfs the front end..

Im really digging these rolls, but they are coming from India at a $70 price tag !!

$(KGrHqZ,!jgE5GG+vd)GBOZk94FNew~~60_12.jpg

No place for saddle bags on the bike either!
Although, I do remember seeing side bags for hard tails.. They were cut out in that "triangle" shaped.. But I dont think I can use them.. One side of the bike has the chain & the other has the rear brake assembly..

Like this !!
db1.jpg

I have a roll like the top one that I got from Overstock.com. It's really nice leather, and I strap it to the bumstop (the front part) of my saddle. Works great because I only ever ride one up.

TC

when I need saddle bag i got mine for $40 at the walmart " Paul Jr. Motorcycle Saddle Bag" they work ok.I have a tracker style seat I throw them over my seat and strap them down ,which takes 1 minute.

"The Paul Jr. Motorcycle Saddle Bag is an excellent product that provides extra storage. Dual saddlebags are easy to install and include water resistant covers, while inside foam panels provide structure and protection for your gear.

•Includes water resistant covers
•Heat shield panels on bottom and sides
•Bag size 15.5" x 7" x 9.5"
•Reflective panels"

I have a canvas style tool roll I had laying around the garage from a arctic cat snowmobile, just threw in the tools I needed, set of plugs, few zip ties, length of wire, etc.. You just roll it up and tie the straps. I just have it sitting behind the seat between the springs and fender. Currently its held on with zip ties but I picked up a few of the velcro straps to hold extension cords when coiled up. These straps are the same thing that comes with some of the Willie and Max fork bags. Tough to see but the only pic I have with it on.

81xs6502.jpg

G'day Marc.

Here's some shots showing how I'm mounting mine.

It's from Royal Spares, which in some way is associated with the guys that sell the cylindrical toll roll that you are eying off.

6206715425_162dd2cdd8_z.jpg

_DSC0179 b by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

6206715631_fff2d65285_z.jpg

_DSC0182 b by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

6206715935_318fe79efb_z.jpg

_DSC0209 b by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

They did stuff up the colour as it was too red-brown, however, they were very helpful when it came to sending me another bag in the correct colour I'd originally requested.

6222496636_3d1434b7e9_z.jpg

DSC_0496 copy by inmotionphotography, on Flickr

Cheers

Steve

http://inmotionphotogxs650.blogspot.com/

KLR forum members devised large PVC tubes with end caps mounted low on the front frame. They seem to work and you can remove them when you need to.

I have one saddle devoted to tools, though if i want to travel light, i find everything you need is in the yamaha tool kit that comes with the bikes, including the 27mm wrench (though its size makes it ALMOST useless)

With proper maintainance you don't need to carry tools. I travel all over on mine and the most tools I carry is the double ended screwdriver and tire pressure gauge, my pocket knife if you can call that a tool.
Up state New York to Laconia NH, To almost Charleston, South Carolina. Baltimore Maryland.
Many shorter rides out to 4-500 miles one way.
Leo

I agree with XSLeo, once brought up to a high level of maintenance, these bikes are very reliable.

However on any long trip, you never know what can occur, so I take a few extra items. Saddlebags are a must for long trips. I use the Tourmaster brand of bags, and a Nike sports bag on the passenger seat as well.

The standard Yamaha tool kit is carried behind the battery. For long trips I carry a spare set of points and points cam, tire pressure gauge, nylon cable ties,spare fuses,folding knife, 12 volt air compressor, and a tubeless tire repair kit. On my last trip of 2000 kms, I even carried 4 litres of extra gas, because the Special tank is only 11 litres. As it turned out I did not need any of the above, and the spare gas was never touched.

Attachments

• Tourmaster saddlebags.JPG
    Tourmaster saddlebags.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 655
Back