How do you know when you've become an Old Fart?

Yes, and we are the only ones with center stands.

Not quite, my '16 Yamaha FJ has one.

RE: Bathrooms...

Moving bathrooms to the front of the store is an astute marketing move as the population ages (well, some of us anyway) but the REAL genius is the guy that came up with the idea of putting a Dunkin' Donuts in the front of a WalMart Superstore. SWMBO goes in, hits every aisle, touches every. single. product. at least once, takes a minimum of an hour to put two items in her cart and all the while Downeaster is sitting comfortably at DD, sipping his latte' (pinky finger extended, of course...) and cramming fat pills in his pie hole.

Not quite, my '16 Yamaha FJ has one.

RE: Bathrooms...

Moving bathrooms to the front of the store is an astute marketing move as the population ages (well, some of us anyway) but the REAL genius is the guy that came up with the idea of putting a Dunkin' Donuts in the front of a WalMart Superstore. SWMBO goes in, hits every aisle, touches every. single. product. at least once, takes a minimum of an hour to put two items in her cart and all the while Downeaster is sitting comfortably at DD, sipping his latte' (pinky finger extended, of course...) and cramming fat pills in his pie hole.
I know. My wife keeps saying to me, " What are you, 5?"
Yeah, I remember what you once said. "I'm never going to grow up and never, ever go to school."

I hesitate to buy sneakers for a hundred bucks when I once bought a '56 split window VW bug from Marlin for a 50.
yep know the feeling bought a split windowed kombi for $50 once , yrs ago , look at what those sneakers are worth and now look at what the kombies worth, (the kombi was on the rd , registed and running , just had a fked up reduction box (?) on 1 of the back wheels which found on a wreck in a quarry

I pulled some 20 dollar bills out of my secret, been saving for a rainy day, emergency stash in the safe. Handed the cashier one at the Sports Authority. She calls the manager thinking it is counterfeit, because she's never seen one like that before.
I can relate to that. My friend and I used to fish on his dad's boat, and we made a pact to save $100 a paycheck to buy an offshore fishing boat. I did that for a few years, until my friend got divorced, and lost his job,too. Well, I kept the cash, like you did, now I use it for groceries, I'm not going offshore, alone. Everyone looks at you sideways. I say," That's 'OLD' money", as if to say we are well off. " ;)

Last edited:
yep know the feeling bought a split windowed kombi for $50 once , yrs ago , look at what those sneakers are worth and now look at what the kombies worth, (the kombi was on the rd , registed and running , just had a fked up reduction box (?) on 1 of the back wheels which found on a wreck in a quarry
My friend, Dave mounted an aluminum block V-6 Buick engine in one of those VW buses but just couldn't solve the transmission issues. Then he built the frame for a hovercraft, and didn't get any further than that and then wound up with a Carmen Ghia.

My friend, Dave mounted an aluminum block V-6 Buick engine in one of those VW buses but just couldn't solve the transmission issues. - - -

Hi Goldenboy,
there's a story about a sports car magazine who's 1st April issue had a 5-page photo-spread showing how to drop a Detroit V8 into a VW Beetle and hide it's front half under a pile of fake luggage. A while later a homebuilder who hadn't noticed the magazine's issue date sent them a letter saying that he'd followed the instructions to the letter, had to amend his conversion in mid-build to make it work and could they please issue a corrected article that included the necessary 6" body stretch?

Hi Goldenboy,
there's a story about a sports car magazine who's 1st April issue had a 5-page photo-spread showing how to drop a Detroit V8 into a VW Beetle and hide it's front half under a pile of fake luggage. A while later a homebuilder who hadn't noticed the magazine's issue date sent them a letter saying that he'd followed the instructions to the letter, had to amend his conversion in mid-build to make it work and could they please issue a corrected article that included the necessary 6" body stretch?
I had a friend that put a 327 Chevy motor in a Vega. He popped the clutch and the car twisted up, not being aware of the strength issues of its unit body, and requiring frame rails and ladders . My earth science teacher put a 427 Chevy motor in a Willys Jeep, and popped the clutch in 4 wd. The jeep went straight up in the air 6 ft, and came straight down, breaking 3 axles.

I had a friend that put a 327 Chevy motor in a Vega. He popped the clutch and the car twisted up...

Haha, the infamous Twisters.
VegaTwister.jpg

Knew of a fellow in Wichita, nailed it while on the highway, windshield popped out from the twist.

I welded in full-length body stiffeners on mine...

Haha, the infamous Twisters.
View attachment 129647

Knew of a fellow in Wichita, nailed it while on the highway, windshield popped out from the twist.

I welded in full-length body stiffeners on mine...
A lot of people found out the hard way about unit bodies when they were a new idea, except for VW's. But the VW was built around a pan. When I used to drive a Ford F-600 five ton wrecker, I got a call to retrieve an auto in an accident. When I got there the guy told me he came off the exit ramp of the Palisades Interstate Parkway in Alpine, NJ in his brand new bug with less than 50 miles on it and wasn't used to it, so he was going just a little too fast, panicked and slammed on the brakes. The bug slid sideways, hard into the ramp's high curb on sand that was put down for snow. Without a scratch on the car and less than 50 miles on it, the insurance declared it a total wreck because the pan was bowed and the wheels were pointed inward.

Old fart when the multi million hockey player being interviewed on TV looks like you should be dropping him off to first year college.
Used to be when the cop on the beat looked younger than your kid, but now they are all in cars with the windows up.
Now with the sunglasses and tactical gear you have no idea who is arresting ya.
(lol)

Old fart when the multi million hockey player being interviewed on TV looks like you should be dropping him off to first year college.
Used to be when the cop on the beat looked younger than your kid, but now they are all in cars with the windows up.
Now with the sunglasses and tactical gear you have no idea who is arresting ya.
(lol)
I remember when the cops started calling me "sir".

I'm at the tax office showing some paperwork to the hot, gorgeous, lady on the other side of the desk. She's very friendly and I'm thinking, she likes me, she's coming on to me and I'm getting a bit stimulated.

Then she says "Your doing pretty good for yourself. I should introduce you to my mom."
When I turned 40, a couple of people gave me some things to ponder:
1) "A forty year old is exactly like a twenty year old, waking up with a hangover, EVERY DAY!"
2) There is an old Jewish saying," When you're twenty, you have the face God gave you and when your forty, you have the one you deserve."
So, now you can tell those to your kids...

old age, and revenge, is living long enough to become a problem to your kids

The other side of that coin is "Be good to your kids. They'll be picking your nursing home."

Both of my daughters were CNA's and worked in nursing homes at one point. They know where the real snake pits are...:yikes:

The other side of that coin is "Be good to your kids. They'll be picking your nursing home."

Both of my daughters were CNA's and worked in nursing homes at one point. They know where the real snake pits are...:yikes:
There are also pamphlets and online ratings and board of health records as per health violations and consumer complaints about the individual facilities in your area. and another way for you to rate them is to just walk in unannounced in order to see what actually goes on and how they smell The average stay in a nursing home is
two years. I spoke to my advisor about these things and he said not to worry, because, statistically, with a history of cardiovascular disease, I won't be going to a nursing home.We had to do the research a few times, as my brother and I had to find nursing facilities for Mom and Dad on a few occasions.

Back