How do you secure your cycle for cleaning & maintenece?

GeorgeOC

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hello out there to the community. A total rookie here... I've finally taken delivery on my 76' XS650C. One thing is certain. This bike needs a cleaning and some parts. I am looking for any advice beyond simply using the center stand to secure the bike while removing wheels, cleaning etc.

Can anyone offer any advice on a good consumer grade solution for simple jobs?

Thanks in advance!

You could get a motorcycle lift. But the center stand works great for most things... and with it plus jacking the front end up by the front engine mount will allow you to get the front wheel off. Curious as to what more you're looking for? If you don't have a center stand...then Jack stands on each side of the frame and again, propping the front will work too.

Vincenthdfan, Brassneck, thank you for the info. The Harbor Freight item is definitely on the radar. I am primarily concerned with not having the Moto tip over on its side... From what I have seen though, short of a professional hoist/stand in a shop, the only way is really 'to be VERY careful.'

For safety sake, I just wanted see if I wasn't missing something really simple...

Thanks for the input guys!

Vincenthdfan, Brassneck, thank you for the info. The Harbor Freight item is definitely on the radar. I am primarily concerned with not having the Moto tip over on its side... From what I have seen though, short of a professional hoist/stand in a shop, the only way is really 'to be VERY careful.'

For safety sake, I just wanted see if I wasn't missing something really simple...

Thanks for the input guys!

Hey George, I'm wondering if you are talking about the side-stand vs. the center stand? Your concern on tipping over makes me think you may not have it... which would explain your fear. If you post up a picture of your bike... I bet we could tell you in about 2 seconds.

The center stand is two legs and is plenty stable, it sits the bike level, and is very hard to tip over...whereas the side stand just has the bike leaning on that one point. Not too stable if you're doing a lot of work on the bike.

I'm on the center stand... That much I know. I guess my worry was having the bike accidently push the center stand back over its axis, say if I was removing the rear wheel. In which case it would probably be best to have a jack, or wooden stand under the frame!

Oh, gotcha. Personally, I've never had the bike go forward beyond it's axis when removing/putting on the rear wheel...but it may rock (forward/back) a bit I suppose. And given enough effort, anything is possible...I'd just take it easy. It won't push forward all on it's own, so it's safe just sitting there.

Practice makes perfect! Yes, by all means be carefull. The more times you do it , the more confident you'll become in your actions. If the center stand is making you loose sleep, hook a bungee cord from the cross bar 'tween the legs to the front mount. It may skid, if you get angry, but it shouldn't snap back.

Patience is a virtue......:thumbsup:

Another thought... since it sits on three points (The two legs of the center stand and the front tire)...locking up the front tire pretty much limits any movement. I think you could get a strap around the front brake lever and that would do it.

Anyways, I think you'll get the feel for it once you do it a few times. :)

Back