how does this work

jay760

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Bought this years ago, does any one know how or if it works, looks like a distributer the coil only has one wire and a large earth, I can't see any way of connecting points to it, it fits onto the bottom cam end cover with a cut out for the spark plug, so definately for an xs, any ideas:confused:

Attachments

• IM000409.jpg
    IM000409.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 269
- looks like old auto technic split to fit the xs, the rotor fitted in place of the points cam providing spark to the plugs every 180°...like an old VW beetle

- looks like the contacts are missing..edit..the rotor contacts are in the lower side wall, didnt see them at first

Last edited:
hope this pic uploads;Shell was useing this ignition pre ARD. trust me on this one little thing;they did not work vary well. ok , the ignition worked, but but was totaly unreliable:banghead: sorry it took so long to get this posted; to answer your question,(hows it work) pm me, its gonna take some time to esplane.hope this helps:shrug:

Attachments

• 0c7db7a0.jpg
    0c7db7a0.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 267
- just had an interesting email from maxx40x:cheers:...here it is

I cant figure how to load a pix of the ignition you (thought) was an early prototype race only,xs unit. (re;how does this work) You are exactly right my cyber friend. Shell was playing whit this prototype, pre ARD. We were also trying to come up with an electronic unit to fire our Triumph's: vary similar to what Shell put together; however, we never could (reed;got pissed off and went another direction) get the dubious Black Box to cooperate and there were so few of Shell's prototype's, we couldn't get our hands on one to get it sorted out. This was all happening in 1971; long time ago. Hell, Im ...edit... and still trying to get it sorted out.......

In any event if you want to post the pix someone may have even more info than my foggy old head can pull up; I will get some pix of my toys to you later.

- maxx40x, tell us a little about yourself, sounds like you have a few interesting stories to tell:thumbsup:...and dont worry about the foggy old head, youre only just a little older than me and im pretty sure youve looked after yours better than i have mine:laugh:

- so jay760, what else do you have in that box of yours:bike:

0c7db7a0.jpg

- so what have we here...mikuni round slides, RHS gear shift?, custom left case-alternator removed or heavily modified?..box section swingarm, whats the frame?shell? rear disc

inxs ;right again . it is an earlt Shell frame. rumor has it Shell was trying to use (as were all of of us) any 2 stroke cdi that would fit under the alt.cover with the same taper as that of the xs crank, the smaller the better. cut the nose of the crank off, tap the stub,position the rotor, cut the case ect. we all know how big an ugly the alt. case is anyway, that, and you do not want the alt case hanging up in the dirt, in the corrner, at a 100 +its all typical early 70s flat track stuff; Barns quick change hubs, Hurst Airhart brakes&master (go-cart brakes) i will have pix of my toys/parts, on site soon. too many things to do.
Later
>maxx40x

Back