How is my hone?

JE4570

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I decided to just hone it myself after watching several videos online. I didn’t want to pay someone for something that looked so easy especially when the machine shop was on the other side of town and he wasn't even sure he could do a cylinder as small as mine.

How did I do before I move to my second cylinder? They look 45ish degrees to me, but I haven’t done this before so I just want to run it by the experienced folks before I do the other.
2444BDFA-1F23-4BAC-956E-030993B85B59.jpeg

That looks pretty good to me. Make sure you scrub it out real good with hot, soapy water to remove all traces of grit from the honing process. After rinsing, I wipe it dry with clean white rags or paper towels until I see no "dirt" on them. Then you immediately oil the bore so it won't flash rust.

That looks pretty good to me. Make sure you scrub it out real good with hot, soapy water to remove all traces of grit from the honing process. After rinsing, I wipe it dry with clean white rags or paper towels until I see no "dirt" on them. Then you immediately oil the bore so it won't flash rust.

Good to hear. Thanks! I will do the second cylinder like I did the first and give it a good soapy bath afterwards.

Also while oiling it I would suggest using a clean while cloth like old tee shirt and oil wipe and repeat till the cloth comes out clean with no black deposits on it!

Back