how long to wait to bake

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I had my top end blasted and want to paint my barrels with vht satin black paint. It says to paint with 2 light coats ten minutes apart the a medium coat of paint. Any comment on this?
Everyone says it needs to be cured. My engine is apart Ive considered firing up the double barrel stove in the pole barn and curing them that way. Any comment on this?
How long should one wait till he bakes the paint after the last coat of paint?
thanks

I had my top end blasted and want to paint my barrels with vht satin black paint. It says to paint with 2 light coats ten minutes apart the a medium coat of paint. Any comment on this?
Everyone says it needs to be cured. My engine is apart Ive considered firing up the double barrel stove in the pole barn and curing them that way. Any comment on this?
How long should one wait till he bakes the paint after the last coat of paint?
thanks

Hi cruzin,
paint how it tells you on the can and bake as soon as it's properly dry.
What 2many sez about baking precautions.
Blacking out aluminum top ends does amuse me though.
Time was, street bikes all had cast iron top ends and we'd spray them with aluminum paint so folks would suppose we had the expensive race bike versions of our engines.
Which is presumably why my Heritage Special's blacked out engine had the edges of it's fins polished; to show that it was an all aluminum engine.

If you wait more than the can says between coats, the paint will wrinkle up on you. I usually bake at around 100 degrees C for about an hour.

I cleaned them good with lacer thinner warmed them up and shot to light coats on them soon as they were dry to the touch I set them back in the warm oven. maybe 180 deg F. for a bit. seem good to me. thanks for the replies. somebody close this thread done did it.

Back