How low can you go?

Maxx

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a highly subjective question, but I just got my frame back from a fabricator that put a rigid rear end on my frame and am concerned about the ground clearance. I have owned low riding bikes before, but what would you consider to be a minimum distance between a level frame and the ground? I'm not certain I would clear even the smallest speed bump at this point.

What are we talking in inches on your frame? I've ran 3.5" clearance from the frame. If you keep your pipes and pegs up higher than that it doesn't cause big problems, because you can still lean... Any lower than that and I'd start to wonder.

Alright, I think I can breath a bit easier. My frame is more than 3 inches off the ground, but is probably slightly less than 3.5. I guess I'm going to find out.

Thanks for the input!

If the shop that did your hardtail work didn't ask what pipes, wheels, tires, forks, pegs etc you'd be using they didn't do their job.
Those are critical items to be signed off on by the customer before any job.

Wheel diameter, tire aspect ratio all affect lean angle and should be calculated pre-work.

I suppose for you what's done is done but it sort of pisses me off a bit seeing all the shade tree shops making money on the xs650 community!

Posted via Mobile

Being my first chopper build and being I was in too much of a hurry to get started, I didn't wait to figure out everything that I should have before having the work done. I still don't know the answer to some of the items you brought up but I did tell him that I would be running stock wheels. The fabricator that did the work came recommended by another fabricator, in part due to how close he is to my location and he is known for quality work.

As you said "what's done is done" and I believe that I can make everything work. My vision is for a low bike with forward controls and high exhaust so hopefully what I have will be perfect.

I kove the shade tre mechanic. They give rise to huge supporters of our community, like Hugh's Hand Built and Pamco Pete

Back