How many clutch pushrod bearings do i need?

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have an 83 but i think i only have one. If its supposed to have two but i only have one would it mess up my adjustment? would it even work? I have to tighten the adjustment all the way down for the clutch to work right...

It depends which pushrod set-up you're using and whether you count the ball held captive in the worm gear. If you have the original (for your '83) 2 rod set-up then there should be 2 balls plus the one in the worm gear. The one in the worm gear is not shown in the parts diagrams because it is considered part of the worm gear assembly .....

ClutchBalls.jpg

If you have the one long replacement rod then you will have one less ball in the stack .....
Pushrod.jpg

The ball in the worm gear is held captive by crimps but they wear away over time and the ball can fall out when you remove the side cover (and get lost). If you're missing a ball, you will have to compensate by tightening the adjuster screw in the worm gear way up. You need to make up for the missing 5/16" ball. It will work but is not correct. Anywhere along the stack of rods where 2 rods meet, there should be a ball. The adjuster screw in the worm gear can be considered just a very short rod.

Last edited:
I have to check again. I think have one on each side of the pushrod. Thanks for the help...

Posted via Mobile

Back