how much oil and what type?

FastColt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im finally ready to fire this thing up today. What oil do I need and how much of it?

That depends how far torn apart you had it. Usually between 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 quarts somewhere (you'll need to buy 3 quarts). Fill to midway between the low and full mark on the stick. Most of us use a normal 20-50 or 15-40 diesel oil. Spec was 20-40 but the only place that sold that was a Yamaha shop.

if you're gonna use diesel oil use rotella 15w-40 as its the only one i found with the JASO MA rating (wet clutch rating).

I use the Rottela and have noticed a positive difference. Better shifting, less clutch slippage, and the valves sound a little smoother.

+ another 1 on Rotella T 15w-40. I've been using it in motorcycles since 1978 with no oil related problems. And make sure the bike is standing level (not on a side stand and not on a hill) and the dip stick ISN'T threaded in when you check it.

The only thing that gives me pause about Rotella in the summer is the chart at the bottom of this page. He checks out on things a lot more complicated than this, so I can't just dismiss him.

http://www.dansmc.com/4stroke_oil.htm

I started using Rotella in the 1970s when I noticed the Harley-Davidson oil recommended by the factory was foaming in my oil tank.

That didn't make sense to me. But I knew foamed oil couldn't lubricate very well. I tried several other oils and they foamed too.

It didn't make sense because I knew that gasoline burns at something like 700 Degrees but having already been a truck driver for several years I was used to seeing Pyrometers on diesel engines constantly at 1700-2100 Degrees and that oil never foamed. (Pyrometers measure the temperature of the oil as it passes through the diesel's turbocharger.)

So I put Rotella T in my Harley and the foaming stopped.

So apparently it's not 100% about the weight of the oil and something to do with the ability of the oil not to break down, ie foam.

I'm no expert but I have been doing this in a region of the country were riding in 100 degree temps is not uncommon for 30 plus years now.

And, as others will point out, certain lubrication additives that were found in last years auto and motorcycle oils are no longer in this year's auto and motorcycle oils but are still found in diesel oils.

PS. If Shell offered Rotella in a 20w50 I'd run it in the summer.

Last edited:
Now if I am correct, as an example, that chart is saying that 10W30 oil is for engines that are between -20 to 30 degrees F? Isn't 10W30 the most used weight? I understand this is a motorcycle chart, but I'm kinda scratching my head at it.
Porsche 911's use 5W40.

Hello Fastcolt,If your looking for the finest oil for your bike and any other products
for any application vehicles,quads,etc. Check out Amsoil. I use Amsoil in all my
vehicles from my bike,quads,boat,lawnmower,etc. I invite you to check out my
website: bntsynthetics.com, we offer a complete line of the finest products that money
can buy, formulated for each application. We also offer preffered customer accounts to
customers at wholesale pricing. Thank you

That depends how far torn apart you had it. Usually between 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 quarts somewhere (you'll need to buy 3 quarts). Fill to midway between the low and full mark on the stick. Most of us use a normal 20-50 or 15-40 diesel oil. Spec was 20-40 but the only place that sold that was a Yamaha shop.

I've seen Valvoline motorcycle specific in 20-50 and 20-40 @ Autozone, rated for wet clutches.

I've got a chopper with a small Sportster tank, so I use peanut oil.
Oil doesn't matter if you don't have spark................

Here's some info on motorcycle oils if you're feeling bored and need something to read.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

I noticed your study was dated 2005. Two chemicals have been removed from motorcycle oils since then, as mandated by the Federal Government. Has Amsol published any research involving the removal of those chemicals?

Does anyone have any experience with Royal Purple's Cycle-Max. It's expensive, but is it worth it? Claims to reduce engine heat and with these machines being air cooled - any reduction in operating temp is a good thing.

Thoughts?

In NZ in the early 90's i used sae 30 car oil and had no ill effects. When i got my bike here, FN Queenland in Aus, in 2008 i followed the threads on oil and tried some 15/40 diesel oil only to find it bubbling away nicely after taking it for a test ride. dropped the plug and it came out looking like i had given it an enema. Changed to 20/50 after that and no problem.

In summer we are around 27c to 35c degrees and winter 18c to 27c so as you can see winter day time temperatures are our summer nights

Just to let you know, Amsoil has out preformed Royal Purple for many years. It has out performed many Synthetic oils. Go to Royal Purples website, they offer no Test Results. Go to my website or Amsoil.com look at any of our products we show the test results,Amsoil uses a third party tester. The last i knew, Royal Purple hasnt even updated their oil rating. The only other Synthetic oil on the market that even comes close to out performing Amsoil is Mobile One, but they dont have other part of equation= their own filter. Amsoil offers a filter that filters out particials down below 5 microns.Our motorcycle oil is wet clutch compatible.Chech us out, bntsynthetics.com, Thank you

I use the Rottela and have noticed a positive difference. Better shifting, less clutch slippage, and the valves sound a little smoother.

Are you using the synthetic version? Could you post a picture of the label you use. Going shopping for oil tomorrow and want to make sure I get the goods. . .

Back