How much rust is too much?

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
So I'm putting my chop back together with a sporty tank (that looked clean inside). I opened up the petcock and tied to kick her over. Since it won't start, I took the carbs back off for a cleaning and realized the gas left in the bowls was rust colored. There were no rust flakes in the inline filter but it certainly is rusty in color. My question is, how much is too much? Is any tinge of rust too much?

Thanks all!

That may not be rust. If the gas was really old, it could be particulate from gas additives. Those are bad for your needle jets.

clean everything out and flush, and then look inside the tank and really look inside it.

I recommend using an etcher on the tank interior, por-15 is the magic of choice.

I put a couple pounds of nuts,1/4 inch, in the tank and shook,and shook,and shook, and shook. Then I flushed with fresh gas. Dried with heat gun. Filled with four quarts of vinegar. for two weeks turning over after one week. I did make aluminum and rubber blanks for the petcock holes and an expanding 1/2 inch plug for the gas cap. Worked great

yup dump that gas run some ethanol into that tank shake it drain it do a it again. Save the wast gas for your lawn mower. Etching is good if you coat immediately. Then let the tank sit and dry for two weeks or so. If you can't wait for a coating to dry, do it next winter.
POR15 meh.

POR 15 has a great tank liner. Use any media to get rid of the scale, then pour the POR into it, and swish it around, let it dry.

Dont forget to pull the petcock, or you will be buying a new one.

Back