How much to sell 79 xs650 special for?

ace79xs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 79 xs650 special that I am looking to sell.
I am not posting pictures yet but I'm trying to get an idea of what someone would pay in Michigan.
It has 7200 original miles, newer tires, banshee pma swap, new non-vacuum petcocks, new rear bronze swing arm bushings. I also have some parts that are new since I was going to turn it into a bobber. New mustang gas tank no paint still in box, side license plate mounting bracket, "stop" stop light, turn signals, new head light. I would throw all the parts in to help it sell.
I was thinking $1200 to $1400?
What do you all think?

Thanks,

if it runs and you have a title and it's not chopped, there's no reason why you couldn't get $1400+.

if it runs and you have a title and it's not chopped, there's no reason why you couldn't get $1400+.
Thank you MrBultaco! It is mostly original. The exhaust has different mufflers but other than what I mentioned it's stock. I just didn't know since I have seen people on here say that the specials are not worth as much as the standards.

Thank you MrBultaco! It is mostly original. The exhaust has different mufflers but other than what I mentioned it's stock. I just didn't know since I have seen people on here say that the specials are not worth as much as the standards.
Hi Ace,
if the two are in the same shape and about the same year the Standard will sell for more.
If it's a drum-front Standard in excellent shape the price will make your head spin.
(Are you effin' kidding? I could buy an effin' Norton for that much effin' money!)
That your '79 Special is complete and low mileage puts the price up. That it's been modified by a PMA swap brings it down again.
The "thrown in" aftermarket parts are a bonus, if the buyer don't want to use 'em they can be sold on.
So long as the bike has it's papers I reckon your asking price range is about right.

without pics there is no way to gauge the value of the bike................lots of things to take into consideration. Is the advice given from a local or someone out of the country. Asking for a value could be counterproductive because the advice could be from a potential buyer.

Again pics or it has no value.

Region plays into it as well. There are more bikes in the northern midwest than anyplace else, and many of them are very nice. Your location stiffens the competition. Also, a Special II may bring more than a Special, even though it was the cheaper model back in the day.

Skulls' correct, post some pics...........thanks

Come to think of it, the acquisition of my last three XS650's comes to a grand total of $30. One of them has 6K miles on it. Based on my personal experience, your bike must be worth somewhere between 0 and $30.
:poke:

I think MacMac had it about right ! it doesn't matter how old the bike is if you can get parts for it !
so the price goes up it's a 650cc and at the time 50 years ago it would have gone for a $1.00 a cc so $650.00 bucks ( lowest possable price even basket case quality)
however that has changed , Nowadays it's more like $10.00 a cc or $20.00 a cc that it runs makes it usable and worth $6500.00
buy a car for that guys ! you'll find nothing but junkers for that price ! , if it's a decent car with low milage it will cost over $10,000.
it's a strange financial world out there fella's !
Transportation is NOT cheap any more !.....
Ask for a High price and if it don't sell, lower the price and try again. keep that up till it sells !
$1400. to me is far too low a asking price ,( but one of these collectors are likely to snap it up ! ) I say $3,500.00 minimum .....
can you replace it for $3500.00 ? NO, theirs no way unless you get real lucky on Creg's List !!!!!!!
All you need to do to determine what something is worth that you have is figure out How much it would cost you to replace it !
.... that means the same year bike , same condition , not necessarily the same make, but should be if you really want it accurate.
.... Most of the guys here that have good running older bikes won't part with them for under $5000.
though I would part with mine for $3,000
If you search hard enough you can find comparisons and a good price that is set already for your equivalent machine.
although we tend to think that Older bikes arn't worth much, look at the Auctions and it will astound you !
$6,000 to $8,000 for an old triumph now when you can find them, so $3,000 to $5000 for a XS650 is not unreasonable !
..... my 2 coppers for what it's worth !
LOL
Bob..........

If the bike is complete and in running cond your 12-1400 price is not out of line at all. Go to CL and look at the posting date and the # of times the ad has been refreshed. The bikes in the $2000+ range seem to just sit there. The $3500+ sellers on CL are just dreaming or like to see pics of their bike in print. The best you can hope for is a collector that doesn`t ride a motorcycle at all but this particular buyer does not come along everyday and they don`t buy a bike that needs anything done to it at all. Most of the buyers I know are looking for a base (donor) bike for a cafe or tracker or bobber. jetmechmarty is absolutely correct about the northern midwest. It`s like a "Bike Buffet" up there. Good Luck with your sale.

I agree. It is hopeless trying to turn an old bike into money here in Ottawa. There's and SRX-6 for sale here right now for $3500. I guarantee it won't sell at that price. We all don't live in England or Australia where bikes like these can command money. The only exceptions I have seen is a W650 or 70's two-strokes.I sold a very clean GS1100 a few years ago. I started at $2500 and eventually had to let it go for $1500. I sold my XS (twice!) for $1600 and $1500. That's with everything fixed and de-Specialized. I am keeping it forever now, even if it just sits and collects dust in a few years. The hassle of dealing with want-ad idiots just isn't worth the hassle for such small amounts.

Well, it seams to be the consensus that $1500 to $1600 is about tops for a good running XS650.... I am totally surprised !
i would have thought $3000 at a minimum would be more like it.... but I have been wrong before and your experience speaks volumes !
thanks for the education fella's !
Bob..........

Well, it seams to be the consensus that $1500 to $1600 is about tops for a good running XS650.... I am totally surprised !
i would have thought $3000 at a minimum would be more like it.... but I have been wrong before and your experience speaks volumes !
thanks for the education fella's !
Bob..........
Well I just took a look at Kelly Blue book and for kicks looked up a 1982 Heritage Special, just because I have one sitting in the garage. Well they are quoting for one in "Excellent Condition" $1,790.00. Mine is probably in what I would call "Fair to Good" so guess I'm keeping it.

Unfortunately, we are doomed to be supporters of a marque that don't get no respect. Advertise a similar vintage Triumph, BSA Norton or HD and you can pretty much name your price. XS 650, not so much. The Barbour Museum does not have one example on display!

The fellow who sold me the spoke rear wheel and 3 other mags for $100.00 on the weekend was of the opinion that in SW Ontario at least, the XS650 popularity had passed as far as bobber/ choppers go. I guess the insurance rates here have to bear some blame, as well, there is a new age cohort coming into the bobber/chopper market who are looking at late '80's and '90's bikes instead of the older models. They probably have never seen stock XS650's on the street.

I've been trying to think of a big twin other than the V twins that is new and I can't think of any.... so I guess the Honda shadows are next to be chopped up, my 1100 would'a made a nice chopper but no bearings on the cams worried me ! bottom end was strong but the top end
was like they forgot it ! .... I like roller bearings throughout the engine, that is the one thing that turned me on about the xs650.
Kshansen : yah $1,795.... I guess I'll have this bike for the rest of my life cuz I ain't selling it for that little ! LOL
Bob.......

Back