how sprung solo seats go together

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
Got my solo seat and hardware. Love it! it's gonna look great.

However, I was wondering about the way the springs attach.
The seat pan has studs that come off it - 2 for the front hinge and 2 for the rear springs.
Can it be, that at the top on these studs, the springs are only held tight to the seat pan and studs via a WASHER that gets a nut snugged up against it?

So, because of the wound coil spring, the washer and nut remain a bit at an angle?
I mean, it WORKS....it's just there doesn't seem to be any real sweet spot where it can snug up flat. I'm thinking if ever a nut was going to need loctite, that would be it.

And then on the other end of the springs....spring slips over post on weld-on "stanchion", onto a leather washer, and then the only real thing holding it "down" is a cotter pin that goes through a hole in that post.

Hmm... this all just seems a little loosey-goosey to me.

Was just doing a quick mock up last evening.
(should be working on wiring, but wanted a quick pleasure fix, so I thought I'd play with the seat)

Also, it seems the length of the pivot bar, to the front, is kinda short for my bike. I'd hoped to weld the pivot right behind the rear gas tank mount - but instead I will have to weld a horizontal bar to the frame, a few inches to the rear. No biggie, really.

Was just wondering if someone could confirm for me that the rear mounting stuff does go together as I described, and that prior to mounting it, the whole thing is kind of "wiggly".

Will post a pic of how I had it sitting, in a minute.

thx!

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
I weld a piece on the backbone down tube and just add some flat metal to the front post. All the ones i did all wiggle a little those are 5" springs if they were smaller it would be less.
Your seat sits back so you may need to add some on the front.

Yeah i do it all the time most are short. I take a piece of flat metal from HOME DEPOT and attach it to the back of the one that came with seat so you don't see it . Drill new holes and done. You can also make you own from the same metal just round one end of metal. All you need is vise and big screw driver to bend around it.

Yeah i do it all the time most are short. I take a piece of flat metal from HOME DEPOT and attach it to the back of the one that came with seat so you don't see it . Drill new holes and done. You can also make you own from the same metal just round one end of metal. All you need is vise and big screw driver to bend around it.

thanks! I am gonna do that then. I even already have the metal.
:)

:thumbsup:

Back