How to: Brat style flat seat on the cheap!

Most local skateshops will have a pile of used decks they give away to the younger kids (budget motorbike) in need. An old deck will still have enough usable nose/tail to shape into a Tron-how-to seat pan. And, lucky for the budget motorbike seat, wider boards (8"+) are back in high demand.

Its comparable to a solo seat I would say. I mean, its all dependant on how much foam you have, there is just so many options for foam. You could put some comfortable 1 or 2" thick foam and have a wicked comfortable seat.

I was going for the lo profile look, and I like a firm seat. Feel the road a hell of a lot more which is part of the fun of riding.

Ill get some mounted pictures up.

Most local skateshops will have a pile of used decks they give away to the younger kids (budget motorbike) in need. An old deck will still have enough usable nose/tail to shape into a Tron-how-to seat pan. And, lucky for the budget motorbike seat, wider boards (8"+) are back in high demand.

This is all very true, I myself have switched to a wider board.. 10.5"s. old school fun! somebody else build a skate seat and post some pictures! quick!

Your guess is as good as mine! I have no idea, it goes no where. Its a solid copper line that seems like it is supposed to be there. It goes up over and behind the engine, fits into a little channel, but just ends. Open end, pointing down.

Wtf!?

i was plotting to steal a board from these little shithead kids in my neighborhood but then i found a brand new one on e-bay for $15.00. just ordered it. i'll put some pics up when i get started. thanks for the idea! what did you wrap yours with?

Just some leather from the fabric store..had it layin around..

Grab an old leather jacket from a thrift store if your a real gypsy

I was looking at doing this until I found a seat that I just loved. Cheapest skateboard deck I could find was at Target. $9.99. Not sure on width, though...

http://www.target.com/p/Maple-Skateboard-31-in/-/A-12822129

I actually checked it out in the store. There is one other issue I wasn't sure how to address when using a skate deck as a seat base. It looks like most skateboards are convex (dished) on top. I was thinking this may cause a problem with the way the seat looked when it was covered and may cause some comfort issues.

I was looking at doing this until I found a seat that I just loved. Cheapest skateboard deck I could find was at Target. $9.99. Not sure on width, though...

http://www.target.com/p/Maple-Skateboard-31-in/-/A-12822129

I actually checked it out in the store. There is one other issue I wasn't sure how to address when using a skate deck as a seat base. It looks like most skateboards are convex (dished) on top. I was thinking this may cause a problem with the way the seat looked when it was covered and may cause some comfort issues.

Thats exactly why I used a "snow skate" instead of a skateboard. Wont soak up water, easy to cover by stapling the leather, hell of a lot stronger, and no concave.

I can see a skate getting water logged, cracked, and shitty

AN UPDATE!

Decided I did not like the brown, or how skinny the seat was.

I tore it apart, used some closed cell foam and shaved it down to the desired thickness, and re-wrapped it in black leather.

I also hid the mounting on the front underneath the foam and leather. Looks alot better, with a way tighter more complete fit.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_6279.jpg
    IMG_6279.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_6268.jpg
    IMG_6268.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 921
  • IMG_6267.jpg
    IMG_6267.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 1,043
AN UPDATE!

Decided I did not like the brown, or how skinny the seat was.

I tore it apart, used some closed cell foam and shaved it down to the desired thickness, and re-wrapped it in black leather.

I also hid the mounting on the front underneath the foam and leather. Looks alot better, with a way tighter more complete fit.

Enjoy!
Looks good. I like it.

You got me thinking on this Tron. I want a solo seat and this could work. I work at a steel mill and I can get steel sheet at scrap steel prices but the thinnest I can get is .188 gauge. that is too thick for a pan I think but I could make a T bracket and make a seat out of a skateboard and the bracket would add extra rigidity where it cantilevers over the springs. It would be pretty light and cheap since I know I can find someone to donate an old one for free. Already has the nice curve in the rear and would look great when trimmed to size. Nice!

Back