How to buy pistons?

Super_Swami

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some advice regarding pistons and cylinders.

I'm currently rebuilding my engine. I need brand new pistons, and I'm going to get the cylinders honed and/or re-bored.

My questions is, what order would I do these things? Do I buy pistons first then have the cylinders bored and honed to the size of the new pistons, or do I establish the ID of my cylinders, have them honed/bored, then buy the pistons according to what size the cylinders end up? Or is there another option?

Apologies if its a dumb question, its my first rodeo.

Cheers

Hi guys, I need some advice regarding pistons and cylinders.

I'm currently rebuilding my engine. I need brand new pistons, and I'm going to get the cylinders honed and/or re-bored.

My questions is, what order would I do these things? Do I buy pistons first then have the cylinders bored and honed to the size of the new pistons, or do I establish the ID of my cylinders, have them honed/bored, then buy the pistons according to what size the cylinders end up? Or is there another option?

Apologies if its a dumb question, its my first rodeo.

Cheers
You need the pistons and rings 1st. Then broed to their size.

Not a dumb ?? at all. I'd get your cylinders and pistons measured first. Most are still stock bore and maybe you just need new rings. If scored bad then yeah, overbore and new pistons and rings. If you do need first oversize pistons Cruzin image in ebay is a good deal. They are 2nd over but they are about the best deal out there at about $102 (or about that) you get new pistons, pins and rings to your door. I'm running a set now. You will need to get your cylinders bored to match. I got mine .002 over piston diameter and all is good.

These XS units can usually get by with a hone-ring.... My machinist prefers a 2nd over bore… said it's easier for him to machine.

Not a dumb ?? at all. I'd get your cylinders and pistons measured first. Most are still stock bore and maybe you just need new rings. If scored bad then yeah, overbore and new pistons and rings. If you do need first oversize pistons Cruzin image in ebay is a good deal. They are 2nd over but they are about the best deal out there at about $102 (or about that) you get new pistons, pins and rings to your door. I'm running a set now. You will need to get your cylinders bored to match. I got mine .002 over piston diameter and all is good.
Thanks mate, that helps alot. Ill check out those ebay pistons. Cheers

Back