How to change rear brakes

newell

79 Special...
Reaction score
I have a 79 Special with rear drum, i have the manual and have read through the thing a few times but I have never changed drum brakes before I was wondering if there is a video link or a better description of changing the rear brakes... also with my front, it is almost like there is nothing there i have to pull the lever all the way before the brake catch... any help with that would be great thanks.

1st. Your front brakes: Flush your brakes. Its the same as bleeding your brakes but doing untill fresh fluids come out. Minimaly, add fluid to it right now! Its your brakes which hold the life of you and your passengers and those close by in your right hand!
Rear brakes. Sometimes you just gotta sit by your bike with tools and manual in hand and boldly dive in and take a chance. It will reveal its secrets to those who try..Get your hands dirty! Use lots of brake cleaner. Wearing a facemask is a good idea to not inhale brake dust.

Changing drum shoes is a piece of cake once you know the secret. You "fold" them off and on. To remove, hold one down while folding the other up. Install is the reverse - place one in it's installed position and fold the other down into place. Both springs installed between the shoes beforehand, of course.

the front brakes also have an adjusting screw that depresses the piston, extend it to get more travel.

More rear drum tips ..... get a spray can of brake cleaner and clean all the parts - shoes, springs, hub, etc. Wire wheel the rust off the springs and lightly oil. Remove the pivot shaft from the hub, clean, and lightly grease. There is a felt seal ring on the outside of the hub under the brake arm. Remove and dip in solvent then press between paper towels to squeeze solvent and dirt out. Repeat until the solvent presses out clean. Knead the felt ring with clean grease until it's saturated. Lightly grease both ends of the shoes where they pivot in the hub and on the brake arm shaft. If you're re-using old shoes, mark them "top" and "bottom" before removal so they go back in where they were.

You should end up with something like this .....

DrumClean2.jpg

Note the little bit of red grease between the shoe pivots and brake arm shaft, also the clean, shiny springs (wet with oil).

Back