How to clean this old gasket off the head?

padge

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I’m in the process of installing my wiseguy 2-1 intake manifold and the old carb manifolds left these gasket remains. I tried carb cleaner and acetone but neither made much difference. Is it safe to use a razor or gasket scraper?

Attachments

• FD450451-4D2A-4760-8C89-1FC77F16C13A.jpeg
    FD450451-4D2A-4760-8C89-1FC77F16C13A.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 55
Is it safe to use a razor or gasket scraper?
Depends on who's pushing it:jk:

Seriously, I think you're in to gasket scraper land there, the chemicals can help soften, but those look particularly stubborn
1682294141183.png

Depends on who's pushing it:jk:

Seriously, I think you're in to gasket scraper land there, the chemicals can help soften, but those look particularly stubborn
View attachment 241194
I need to get a scraper like this ^. Although my scrapers are purpose built for the task, most of mine look like a HD putty knife.

Thanks fellas! I borrowed some paint stripper to try out tomorrow, and have a fresh razor ready at the sidelines. I'll post an update once she's all cleaned up.

It may take several applications to get all of the gasket off but it works well. Only scrape what has softened then reapply more stripper. I have a nice little gasket scraper but also often use a couple old, small knives .....

Stripper1stAppl7.jpg

2ndApplScraped3.jpg

The paint stripper and razor worked nicely! A bit tedious though as it took about 6 cycles of applying the stripper and removing what it softened. I still managed to scratch the damn metal which I wanted to avoid… oh well. At about the third cycle I figured out that moving the razor side to side helped slice into the gasket nicer than just pushing forward.

Thanks again for the suggestions 👍.

Attachments

• F2DF5012-05EA-4B7D-B3E8-19A17237D22E.jpeg
    F2DF5012-05EA-4B7D-B3E8-19A17237D22E.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 55
  • E88507E5-4DAB-4F1B-9FAB-B607B0E101DA.jpeg
    E88507E5-4DAB-4F1B-9FAB-B607B0E101DA.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 53
The paint stripper and razor worked nicely! A bit tedious though as it took about 6 cycles of applying the stripper and removing what it softened. I still managed to scratch the damn metal which I wanted to avoid… oh well. At about the third cycle I figured out that moving the razor side to side helped slice into the gasket nicer than just pushing forward.

Thanks again for the suggestions 👍.
Removing the scratches shouldn’t be that difficult with a good flat file or when you put the new gaskets on you can apply some sealant to prevent vacuum leaks. Is the head on the engine right now?

Bead blasting or a plastic scraper. Just sharpen an old plastic ruler.

Guess I should have mentioned - you need to let the stripper soak for 10 minutes or so before scraping. That allows it to penetrate into and soften the gasket remnants.

@bosco659 - The head is on the engine and the engine is on the bike. Yeah I figured I could pick up some Yamabond or similar to try if I notice symptoms of a leak.

@5twins - I did let it soak before I tried scraping. I think some of those scratches were me getting impatient..

@AUTOMAN - I used an old can of "Circa 1850 Heavy Body Paint and Varnish Remover". Maybe I should have opted for something newer/better.

@toglhot - Yeah, would have been a good idea to try plastic first and see if that worked. Then brass like the Motion Pro scraper @jpdevol showed.

Not read through ..but since it is a plane Surface a flat metal bar with carborundum paper on it can perhaps be used
These come with different abrasive capability

Back