How to get a brighter brake and tail light?

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I really would like to keep the stock (round, single bulb) tail light and lens on my 650D, but I think that both brake- and tail light should be a lot brighter. I have tried new 21/5 W bulbs, even a couple of LED bulbs, without much success. I also re-wired it, and removed the bullet connectors under the taillight bracket. The only connectors are now on top of the rear fender. My charging voltage is good, as is my headlight.
What are my options? A better LED bulb, or removing the reflector and bulb holder altogether, and install some suitable aftermarket LED tail light inside the oem lens? Or any other mod I have not thought of?

I'd try a better replacement LED bulb. They make them with different numbers of LEDs, some are blinding.
I'd also try testing your current bulb by taking it out of the fixture and jumping it directly to the battery -- this will tell you if your bike's wiring is good.

There are "round plate" LEDS with 1157 sockets on a short pigtail. Note: red LEDS will put more light through the lens than white ones. But the police might require a white light license plate bulb.

Back