How to: get my XS650 running

Cade

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a non-running 1983 XS650 Heritage Special with 9.5k miles for $500. It is missing a few things, including a headlight and turn signal, but it is in great condition otherwise. Supposedly rebuilt carbs, slightly leaky petcocks, and a messed up wiring harness are what I have to figure out now. I have (so far) taken off the seat, the rear fender and all its extremities, and the tank. I don't know where to go from here, I'm not much of a mechanic yet. Any suggestions?

Cade

Welcome,

Shut the Gate.................

I suggest you do a lot of reading in the "Tech menu", a couple of threads to start.........
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30569
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2736

On the forum page...Garage...select a topic from the menu............ use the google search, on the top left of every page, for questions.

Get a manual, you can download an online one from the second link i posted ........ till it arrives.

Its easier to work and learn about the bike while it is as complete as possible, even with bad wiring, it can be worked on to diagnose electrical components and run the engine, if it isn't seized.

Post some pics, we all like to look at bikes and it doesn't mater what state or repair or disrepair. They also help to diagnose problems, like the saying.... "a pic is worth a thousand words".

Here are some pictures:

DSCF0600.jpg

DSCF0594.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

DSCF0630.jpg

DSCF0629.jpg

Got a battery to hook up and check things? My favorite battery for doing this is my boat battery, sometimes I use my lawn mower battery. Get a digital multi-meter and read the little book that comes with it, get familiar with the DC mode, check some flashlight batteries and such. Use the Ohm settings, understand the meaning of "resistance". Harbor Freight has $5 meters, sometimes they give them away as a monthly special. Print off the wiring diagram for your model, find and follow a few wires on your bike.

Scott

Unfortunately I do not, I can get one on the way home from work today though. Max 14v 16a small battery right? It is very messy in the battery compartment, and there are so many leads, I don't know if I will manage to connect a battery correctly. Also, the fuse "box" is slightly broken. I live in Asheville, NC, where Hugh's Handbuilt is located, and I can get a pretty good deal on his PMA system, so a battery will not be necessary for long.

Edit: I do not have a boat, and I only have a push lawn mower.

Cade your best bet is to find a local mentor. Your bike has had some "custom" work done.
Some may be good work and some may need to be redone.
It would help if you could look at one that hasn't been molested.

Hugh Owings of Hugh's Handbuilt (which, again, is based here in Asheville), does a lot of work with XS650s, such as rephasing the engines, and making those cool PMAs that people like so much. I have been talking to him a bit lately and I will ask him about this.

Hugh Owings of Hugh's Handbuilt (which, again, is based here in Asheville), does a lot of work with XS650s, such as re-phasing the engines, and making those cool PMAs that people like so much. I have been talking to him a bit lately and I will ask him about this.

If you want to learn about these bikes you need to stop following a crowd. PMA's are a PMA no one makes one cooler than the other. If you are referring to his latest PMA with an ignition incorporated within it then there are others on the market as well. You would be advised to do research before buying any product, especially a new one that is new on the market.

Learn to test electrics and test your bike, it may be good as is, unless you want to spend $500, on something you may not need, just to have bragging rights and a cool part.

As weekendrider Says, a mentor would be good and Hugh really knows his XS650's, but again he is in Business and you need to be prepared to spend some money and he is going to be biased towards his products, naturally.

You are right. Honestly, I don't care for anything like that just yet. Later on, when I change my airbox to pod filters and change my exhaust, and rejet my carbs and such, I might install a PMA system. Right now, I just want to get it running. There are three or four leads that aren't attached to anything right now, in the battery box area. Two are attached to the starter solenoid, and one is a black cable with a hood, and a little white cable attached to that. I really don't know much about wiring, or these bikes specifically, and I'm afraid of messing something up. I can post more pics of that area when I get home from work. I want to get a battery, but I don't know if I would even be able to attach it. Everything seems to be in good shape, carbs, petcocks, etc, so that seems like the next step. Thoughts?

Print the wiring diagram. Can you read a road map? Following a wiring diagram is not much different than reading a map, instead of road names there are wire colors.

Scott

Not yet. I have heard the Clymer manuals and Haynes manuals are good, so I will try to find one of those. @ biker.net they have a manual for my exact heritage special model that shows parts and stuff, but still very complicated.

Looks like the blacked out '82 model.
Headlight mounting ears have been flipped side to side.....left is on the right side and vice versa.
Get a manual, stop tearing stuff off. Get a headlight and a battery and start putting things back together. Get her running and then fix what needs to be done. $500 bucks isn't terrible for what you have but to cut your teeth on a non runner without all the parts and flying blind is going to be a challenge.
Yes on a mentor. Welcome aboard!

Close, '83 Heritage Special black-on-black model. Yeah, I am looking for a headlight and a manual. I have a few people I can talk to, that could mentor me. I have only taken off the seat and tank so far, to check out the wiring situation, which is my main concern right now.

nj you might as well give up. We know nothing, and can't tell the difference between shite or shinola. Or the differences between an '82 and '83 (which IS the color only).

nj you might as well give up. We know nothing, and can't tell the difference between shite or shinola. Or the differences between an '82 and '83 (which IS the color only).

Tuf day.

Cade, Post your serial no to confirm the year. 82/83 were essentially the same bike, but the 82 had black chrome and the 83 went back to normal chrome.

That loom has had some work done. The reserve lighting unit has been removed, (a common thing some do).

Go to "electrical" in the "Tech menu" and do a lot of reading. A lot of stuff wont make much sense, It becomes a read, do some research on the bike and read some more and redo the research on the bike and eventually things start to make sense.

The manual has a "tools needed" in the front part.

Back