How to get throttle sleeve in to the grip?

bpastorb

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I know this sounds silly but how do i go about getting my throttle sleeve in to the grip (after market one from mikes). The problem im having is that the throttle sleeve appears to be a tiny bit too big to fit into the grip. If I force the sleeve on, then it gets about half way before becoming seemingly impossible to push further. The grip is close ended and i did remove the back cap when I tried putting the throttle sleeve inside it. Anyways I was wondering what i should do to get it inside. This is my first installation of a grip. Does it need lubrication or glue? The grip didn't come with any instructions, they are WFO Foam Cushion Grips from mikes. The throttle sleeve is the original (a 1977). Does it need a smaller sleeve (the sleeve fits the bars perfectly, as they are aftermarket as well). Or should i sand down the outside of the throttle sleeve so that it fits in?

Does the innermost surface flex at all? You might heat it very gently with a heat gun (not a flame) and use a bit of liquid dish soap. The latter alone worked for me, but my grips are rubber.

TC

I usually use a squirt of cheap high strength hair spray then let it dry overnight.

The single absolute best way to install or remove grips is with compressed air. Slide the grip on, then use the blower nozzle (wedged into the grip at the end with the big hole for the handlebar) to inflate the grip. As you inflate, it will easily slide on or off. Cheers
PS. You should be fitting the grip to the tube/handlebar. Not fitting the tube to the grip. Put it all back together first, then fit the grips
Posted via Mobile

I like the grip glue,lubes as you put the gripon the tube,and locks it on the sleeve.You have to cut the grip off if you use the glue.

I use men's hairspray. I forgot what it's called but it comes in a blue colored can. Compressed air won't work very well on poly grips.

I've used the same grips on 4 sets of bars. With hairspray you can remove easily, but they won't slip around like if you use WD40 (every time I tried WD40, my grips would not stay put). To remove, run under hot water and slowly start working the grip, twisting it as it softens. It'll come off in a few minutes.

I've done the compressed air thing too. To make the grips stick, spray paint works too but it makes it tough to get them off. I haven't tried hair spray, may have to give that a shot.

Clean the inside of the new grip and the throttle sleeve with alcohol. Then, with the throttle assembled, do the compressed air trick. The alcohol removes contaminates. With both grip and sleeve clean when they go together they get great traction on each other and, in my experience, never slip or twist. And they are easily removed later with another shot of compressed air.

Last edited:
The trick is to put the grip on the throttle tube AFTER its mounted on the bar. Sounds like your trying to slide the throttle tube into the grip out in thin air. It's a lot easier, although the previously submitted tips will still apply, when the throttle tube is stationary on the bike.

One more tip - stand on the opposite side of the bike and pull the grip on as opposed to standing on the same side and pushing it on. You can apply lots more force to it this way.

Hairspray, or spray glue. You dont need much of either. Spray paint can make a slight mess that is not needed, compressed air is good but with the hairspray or glue you will be able to rotate and work the grip on to where you want it very easily. Also poke a spall hole in the end of the grip to let the air push ou, if not the grip will want to slid back off. Ive put hundred of grips on and this works flawlessly everytime. :thumbsup:

The single absolute best way to install or remove grips is with compressed air. Slide the grip on, then use the blower nozzle (wedged into the grip at the end with the big hole for the handlebar) to inflate the grip. As you inflate, it will easily slide on or off. Cheers
PS. You should be fitting the grip to the tube/handlebar. Not fitting the tube to the grip. Put it all back together first, then fit the grips
Posted via Mobile

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Compressed air is the only way to do it... makes sense and it honestly takes 3 seconds.

Yall listen up now ya hear? Only gonna tell ya once.....wet em down good with Windex inside and on the tube or bars...slip em on quick! They'll dry and stick.... yet be removable. You're welcome, Blue

Yaint about to borrow my grip stretcher G's! No how no way!

Back