How To: Make fork gaiters using parts found at the auto parts store

Yes, any of these truck shock ones seem very well made, not like the vintage "repop" ones available for bikes. I've examined a set from MikesXS and they are literally paper thin. No wonder they fall apart in a year.

Just installed my ranchos with split bottoms in my 78 Yambler. Cut 5 bellows off. Fit great. Now I need to figure out how to post the photos...

null-68.jpg
[/IMG]

null-69.jpg
[/IMG]

null-70.jpg
[/IMG]

I ended up cutting two or three bellows off the bottom of my split Procomps and they work fine. Get on the center stand and raise the front wheel so the forks are at maximum extension and that will show you how many bellows to cut off. Cut it a bit long, because it will need to cover part of the fork outer, plus you will need to fold one bellows down at the bottom to hold it on with no strap. I plugged the two upper vent holes with Sportsman's Goop and leather punched a couple of holes at the rear bottom. Incidentally the stock rubber scraper there came off easier than I thought it would. It was in decent shape, but a 1/8 screwdriver at the bottom got it started right out. Good to save this until you need to take the front wheel off anyway, say tire changing time.

Attachments

• DSCI0265.jpg
    DSCI0265.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 385
Anyone have a lead on a "finer gauge bellows? The 70 bikes use a gaiter stock and they are always shot...

early gaiters.jpg

No, I'm afraid not. Each fork leg needs to come out of the triple trees. It's not a big deal really. You remove wheel, brake caliper, and fender, then pull one leg at a time out of the trees. Since the bike is new to you, some front end work is probably called for anyway, at least fresh fork oil at the very least I would think. I would also want to be checking things like wheel bearing condition and brake pad wear. There are some basically free fork mods you can do (Minton Mods) that improve the fork action and running slightly more oil than speced helps too.

No, I'm afraid not. Each fork leg needs to come out of the triple trees. It's not a big deal really. You remove wheel, brake caliper, and fender, then pull one leg at a time out of the trees. Since the bike is new to you, some front end work is probably called for anyway, at least fresh fork oil at the very least I would think. I would also want to be checking things like wheel bearing condition and brake pad wear. There are some basically free fork mods you can do (Minton Mods) that improve the fork action and running slightly more oil than speced helps too.
I had already thought of the pads and fresh oil before I saw the Gaitor threads. Well I see a new project coming up. Thanks once again 5twins.
PS: not sure where I saw it but someone mentioned getting a better battery made their starter work. Worked on mine too. but I think I'll go in there and look about just because I can. I think I can I think I can.

ive done this on a lot of different bikes. it is cool,and doesnt break the bank. I dont use clamps at the the top of the boot because I dont think they look good. I use heavy black zip ties. Y'all might wanna try that,and see if ya like the looks.

Back