How-To: Permanent Magnet Alternator Swap (Also known as the Banshee Swap)

tried to read most of this post and have learned a lot. i am going to pick up my stator bracket and the flywheel monday, so im guessing the banshee stator does not work with this setup? sorry if it is a dumb question. didn't know if it wasn't 3 phase or something.

Banshee Stator will NOT work... You want a 3 phase stator :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with this swap after getting everything up and running? i.e. something breaking / out of balance, too much / too little voltage, etc...

This seems like a great swap but I'm wondering what the downside is...

for TCI bikes, you need a different ignition. But if you are changing out ~30 year old charging systems, it's not too much of a leap in logic to change out ~30 year old ignition system as well.

I've had my swap running for a few months and it is working great. I see no downsides. Charge is good and it seems to provide plenty of power - I just added heated gloves to my system (woohoo for warm hands!) and there seems to be no difference in the amount of power reaching the battery, ignition, headlight, etc. As Dave suggests, a charging system with at least 20 years of engineering advances can't be a bad idea.

My '81 will no longer start.
(stock wiring, charging system, and TCI ignition)

After doing much research, reading reviews, and just tooling around online, I've decided upon buying this set up along with the PAMCO ignition next week
(yes, that's me troubleshooting why my bike won't start)

revamping/simplifying the whole wiring system while I'm at it

this thread and site are a great help to anyone still learning

keep it up guys:thumbsup:

Will this swap work on a xs400? I want to know if I can use the same parts list as outlined in the first post and if I will run into anything different with the 400..

The XS400 is a completely different beast. The rotor mounts to the crank, cup facing out, and the stator mounts to the side cover.

I tried using CBR600 parts, they physically fit inside the cover but left no room to route the wires and the starter clutch had to be eliminated. That means kick only. I'm sure there are parts out there that will fit, it'd just take a bit of research and trial-and-error to figure it out.

womp womp womp.....Just F'd myself. The 94 suzuki vs800 stator will not work. It measures, dia 115mm x dia 54.5mm x 30mm thick. Just wanted to clear that up for others doing this swap.

There is list of stators that work on page one of this thread, post #7. That might help you find one.
Leo

MAKE SURE TO GET THE CORRECT PART NUMBERS FROM A STATOR!!! THIS LIST IS NOT 100% ACCURATE. CORRECT STATOR MEASUREMENTS SHOULD BE 103mm X 42mm X 20mm
YAMAHA (ESR080)

Honda CBR600 F1 86-90
Honda VF500 84-85
Kawasaki VN800 Vulcan 00-05
Kawasaki VN800 Classic 01-06
Kawasaki VN800 Drifter 01-05
Kawasaki ZL600 86-87
Kawasaki ZX600, ZX-6 Ninja, ZZR600 85-04 [!!NOT ZX6-R, ZX6-RR 98+!!]
Suzuki VS800 92-07
Suzuki VX800 90-93
Suzuki VZ800 97-04
Suzuki LT250 91-96
Suzuki LT4WD 91-96
Suzuki LT-F4WD 91-98
Yamaha XV250 Route66 88-90
Yamaha XT600 90-95

TAGS: XS650 XS 650 Big Bore 750 Kit Charging System Permanent Magnet Alternator Banshee Hugh'sHandBuilt Hugh Owings Chopper Bobber Wiring Swap Stator Rotor PMA 3 Phase Regulator

Anyone know why I cant use a zx6-r or zx6-rr stator?

I take it a 1990 zx600c stator will work or a 02 zx600e stator?

Last edited:
Ok, I just didn't read the list close enough to see that your wrong rotor was on there, my bad.
Leo

Anyone who has not done this swap, needs to do it right now. Seriously.

Just got my bike running and swapped to the PMA while I was at it. Charging like a champ and super simple setup and wiring. A trained monkey couldn't screw this up. It's like a one or two on the difficulty scale.

I got my own stator and flywheel, but big thanks to Hugh's for the adapter and regulator, my stator even plugged right into the regulator plug!

I installed the kit for my 79' xs650 special. I got the kit from mikesxs.com everything went together great but now my headlight and gauge lights don't work? this happen to anyone? I don't think i blew any fuses. Can anyone help me out? my battery is also really dead, do the headlights not work until there is a lot of charge on the battery

I installed the kit for my 79' xs650 special. I got the kit from mikesxs.com everything went together great but now my headlight and gauge lights don't work? this happen to anyone? I don't think i blew any fuses. Can anyone help me out? my battery is also really dead, do the headlights not work until there is a lot of charge on the battery

Splice into one of the stator wires and run it to the single yellow wire where the original stator plugged in. This will trigger the safety relay which turns on the headlights when the motor is running.

Splice into one of the stator wires and run it to the single yellow wire where the original stator plugged in. This will trigger the safety relay which turns on the headlights when the motor is running.

ooooh, smart! Never thought of that myself

hmm, will do! thanks for the advise. Also when I unplugged the original stator, it had a green wire that connected to a little screw that was inside a bolt on the engine by the top of the clutch cover. What is that?

hmm, will do! thanks for the advise. Also when I unplugged the original stator, it had a green wire that connected to a little screw that was inside a bolt on the engine by the top of the clutch cover. What is that?

That "bolt" is the neutral switch. The blue wire goes from that to the original stator plug. If you choose not to hook it back up then the neutral light will no longer come on when you shift it to neutral.

this may be a very silly question but if you're building a bike from the ground up can you do a pma swap before firing the engine for the first time? Or is it better to get everything together and then swap to pma?

Back