How-To: Permanent Magnet Alternator Swap (Also known as the Banshee Swap)

As far as reliability I think one system is as good as the other. I have run the stock system for a few years. I did do the Chrysler/ Radio Shack Mod because the old mechanical reg's are getting old and are liable to crap out. Mine still worked well.
xjwmx, there are several advantages to the P/M system. No battery, being able to start the bike with a weak or dead battery are a couple.
I think the big advantage is that the P/M doesn't draw 3-4 amps just to make electricity. Once the bike is running all the output goes to charge the battery. The 3-4 amp draw isn't there to take away from the charging.
If the right stator is used you might even be able to up the output from the stock 14-16 amp up to 20 or more.
This can allow riders to use extra driving lights, heated grips. Things like that the stock system can'y handle.
As far as an older P/M stator being more or less reliable than the stock stator, I doubt there is much difference. One thing about the P/M stator, a lot more bikes use one that can work on our 650's. Not too many stators around that fit our 650's.
Yes, we can get them rewound, so can the P/M's.
If you have a good working stock system, and with the proper maintainance it will work very well for a long time, and won't stop me from doing a long distance ride.
If my system totaly craps out and I can find the P/M parts at about the same price as Stock parts I would do the swap. As things are now thats hard to do. A good Banshee rotor can cost up to $200, some times more. I can buy a lot of $4 brushes for that.

If my system totaly craps out and I can find the P/M parts at the same price as Stock parts I would do the swap. .

Same here, but since it doesn't work with my TCI, no.

xjwmx, there are several advantages to the P/M system. No battery, being able to start the bike with a weak or dead battery are a couple.

I'm fully aware.

You know, I always wonder why its charging system wasn't like this to start with, especially since it was kick only back in its dim past.

Last edited:
The one disadvavtage to a P/M system is it's on all the time. The feild excited alternator turns the rotor on and off as needed to keep the battery charged.
When the alternator is on all the time it draws more HP from the engine. The stock system only draws HP when it's on.
In the dim past they wanted to maximize the availble HP to move the bike so they used the feild excited alternator.
Thats why I think they did it.

Figuring out which is more desirable from that point of view is more complicated than anything I've done in a long time :) Remember though that the pm one could be turned off intermittently too. I think you could just remove the pm stator from the circuit intermittently using a similar method to turning off the power to the stock rotor. A long time ago I was working on somebody's self-powered gadget that had a little generator built in and was shocked to realize the generator was much easier to turn when it was just disconnected from the circuit. Gave new meaning to the term electrical resistance :)

I am suprised at the reluctance to see that the pm system is superior. If the excited field were so good, maybe that system would have endured instead of the pm? :D Really I would think the little less weight on the rotating mass would make up any slight hp loss. To me anything with less moving parts is a good thing. And personal experience (opinion) has shown me that the pm system is better hands down. Guess if you want to stay completely original beter use the stock setup, but for day to day riding I vote PM.

The preceding opinions expressed are the sole property of the poster and in no way reflect the views of 650.com or its members :eek: :D

I wonder if there's an old pm setup you can use like this one, except it has tci triggering parts.

The one disadvavtage to a P/M system is it's on all the time. The feild excited alternator turns the rotor on and off as needed to keep the battery charged.
When the alternator is on all the time it draws more HP from the engine. The stock system only draws HP when it's on.
In the dim past they wanted to maximize the availble HP to move the bike so they used the feild excited alternator.
Thats why I think they did it.

You are losing me here. There is no way that either system has a measurable difference in HP losses or gains. One is a constant contact system building heat and drag, and the other is a no contact system filed excited setup.

Yes, the PM is always charging when the engine is running, but the entire PM system as a whole is lighter in weight than the stock system, so if we are really getting down to performance gains and nit picking .0001HP differences, then it might as well be mentioned that a lighter bike is a quicker bike :laugh: HP to Weight Ratio would be up a fractional amount :bike:

I wonder if there's an old pm setup you can use like this one, except it has tci triggering parts.

Why bother when Pamcopete has a setup that works very reliably, require no magic black boxes to hide or worry about failing, and you can have all new ignition on the cheap. TCI works great when it does work, but when it quits the parts aren't available.

I can understand if you have a running bike keeping the TCI, but I won't even bother building a new engine and running it. Less wires, new parts, no brainer...

Well, it's a simple matter of expense, to me. I'm not in love with a particular ignition system. I've had good luck repairing my tci and I have a spare besides so reliability isn't a concern. Plus I have a lifetime supply of brushes :)

Sorry gang. Photobucket only allows me up to 30,000 some odd views a month, and from time to time, it gets overloaded. I'm looking to start hosting ALL pics through my blog, and will likely make a PDF of the install for people to download for free. Until then, just be patient and it will come back up. Thanks!

Hugh

Regarding TCI. I have an RD350 stator, which has an ignition pickup. Isn't that the same system as the TCI?

Since I have the RD350 stator, but don't need the ignition pick up wires, how would you go about removing them? Snapping them as close as possible?

I was just doing some checking and at the Yamaha site the parts fiche shows the RD350 alternator to be quite simular to the XS650 alternator. A feild excited alternator. And it used points. No electronic ignition.

I was just doing some checking and at the Yamaha site the parts fiche shows the RD350 alternator to be quite simular to the XS650 alternator. A feild excited alternator. And it used points. No electronic ignition.

I think you have been looking at the aircooled Yamaha RD.

If I'm correct the RD is air cooled. The RZ liquid. There is a RD350LC which is liquid and sold in Canada and Europe.
RZ is electric and the RD points.

Not in Europe, there they are all called RDs :) RD LC, RD LC YPVS and other subnames.

Back