How-To: Permanent Magnet Alternator Swap (Also known as the Banshee Swap)

The pick-up is for the TCI, so if you don't have a TCI you can probably get rid of the pick-ups. I would remove it properly though. Probably get some money for it.

And LC stands for "Liquid Cooled" (lost internet) so if the LC has no pick-ups? might be easier for future reference.

I know what to do with the TCI. I just asked how you would deal with the wires on the stator itself. There are 3 wires for the TCI and 3 for the field.

Beau, I checked out your link. It's not a rotor. It's a stator, and it fits a Honda CBR600. If that can be used in the P/M swap I don't know.

oops I meant stator.

Dennis Kirk Website said:
# Part 209688 fits the following machines:
# 1989 Honda CBR600F
# 1990 Honda CBR600F
# 1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane
# 1988 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

I thought I saw this one on Punk's list. If you click the little tabs below a part it will also tell you other models that use the same.

I scored a VF500 stator today on ebay NEW for $60 shipped from Dennis Kirk. It's the Electrosport one.

The CBR600F stator uses the same core as the VF500 so it will physically bolt up, but it is delta wound and the wires come out in a different spot. Delta wound stators are better for high rpm motors, which the XS650 is not.

Correct me if I'm wrong Punk, but you probably learned the banshee swap from Mrriggs right? Not sure about you, but I sure as in hell know I did. Just in case ppl don't know he wrote the whole book on the PMA over on the garage.

Last edited:
That's where I read it and why I bought the VF500 stator.

Pardon me, but it was Punks post on here. Mr. Riggs' Ebay auction had more than enough info though. Wish he had another batch of adapters as I feel they will go down in history as being a rare mod.

Punk is simply doing searches and research and making kits. Something others have not offered. The info is all out there, he just stepped up to the plate. Some people need that.

Mr. Riggs could easily do the same, and so could you an I.

They are physically interchangeable since they use the same core, the difference is how they are wound. The one pictured is wye wound, you can see in the four o-clock position where all three coils are twisted together. However, the wires are coming out of it in the same location as the CBR, which is different than every other stator I've seen. So they kind of mixed and matched to come up with that one.

Correct me if I'm wrong Punk, but you probably learned the banshee swap from Mrriggs right? Not sure about you, but I sure as in hell know I did. Just in case ppl don't know he wrote the whole book on the PMA over on the garage.

While that is very flattering, it's not exactly true. Guys in Europe and Australia have been doing essentially the same swap [using RD/RZ parts] years before I ever heard of such a thing. Someone else at the Garage figured out that the Banshee rotor fits the XS crank. My only contribution was figuring out that a three phase stator will work in place of the weeny Banshee stator.

That is why these message boards are so great. Nobody does this stuff alone, we're all in this together. :cheers:

While that is very flattering, it's not exactly true. Guys in Europe and Australia have been doing essentially the same swap [using RD/RZ parts] years before I ever heard of such a thing. Someone else at the Garage figured out that the Banshee rotor fits the XS crank. My only contribution was figuring out that a three phase stator will work in place of the weeny Banshee stator.

That is why these message boards are so great. Nobody does this stuff alone, we're all in this together. :cheers:

Yep. I found some of the AU sites and read through that for a good long time, and then Ted over at XS650Chopper.com asked if I had ever set one up. At the time my bike was charging ok, so I didn't look into it. Then I met a dude at the Smokeout who had it and I knew I wanted a trouble free charging system. I couldnt find an RD stator and flywheel, so I did some more research. I had read Mr. Riggs stuff over at the garage, but couldn't afford his Stator Bracket at the time (its a NICE piece for sure) so I made the standard bracket like I sell now. I realized that more people wanted to swap over, but costs were and issue.

When I quit my dayjob, I took a gamble and had 100 of the bracket kits laser cut and started to sell them. I had no idea that they would actually sell like they do. Over 300 have been sold in just 3-4 months. Thats basically how Hugh's HandBuilt was born. But I am no electrical guru. Mr. Riggs is the man for that, and so is Pamcopete. I'm more of an engine and frame kinda guy as well as an Industrial Designer/Product Designer and HATE wiring, hence using the PMA swap to simplify my builds.

There are some amazing folks on these boards, I just like being a part of the community, and my Industrial Design Background keeps my brain running non-stop for things to build for these bikes.

Lol yeah all of my wiring knowledge comes from Pete and Riggs! I have Pete's ignition and Riggs stator plate.

Riggs I specifically worded my statement to be true. You wrote the book over at the garage!

They both personally helped me get my PMA setup working correctly.

Posted via Mobile

They are physically interchangeable since they use the same core, the difference is how they are wound. The one pictured is wye wound, you can see in the four o-clock position where all three coils are twisted together. However, the wires are coming out of it in the same location as the CBR, which is different than every other stator I've seen. So they kind of mixed and matched to come up with that one.

So the one in the ebay link won't work then? Crap. I guess I didn't get a good deal after all.

So the one in the ebay link won't work then? Crap. I guess I didn't get a good deal after all.

Sorry, I didn't make that very clear. It's not right for a CBR (cause it's wound different) and it's not right for a VF500 (cause the wires come out in a different spot) but since it's Wye wound, and yours is a custom install, it will work for you. You'll just have to get creative with routing the wires.

In the few I have done, I have found the VF500/V30 stator and regulator to work about the best. The stator bolts right up on the Mr. Riggs plate and the wire screw fits right in the indentation he machined there. Fits perfectly. I am anxious to try out Punkskalar's new kit though with I believe a new stator and everything. Now if a guy could find those pesky Banshee rotors for more like $25 instead of the $80-100 I have had tp pay, that would be cool.

Sorry, I didn't make that very clear. It's not right for a CBR (cause it's wound different) and it's not right for a VF500 (cause the wires come out in a different spot) but since it's Wye wound, and yours is a custom install, it will work for you. You'll just have to get creative with routing the wires.

That's what I was thinking. I suppose I could just holes drilled in a different location on the adapter. Maybe I will get lucky and it won't be the one pictured.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I called my buddy that is building my engine and he said he had an RZ350 stator laying around for free. It looks a little different though. Is this the right thing? Are you cutting off the pulse coil too?

RZ350Stator001.jpg

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
It is a three phase stator so it will work but I would imagine that the output will be lower than a full three-phase stator since it has fewer charging coils to make room for the high voltage CDI coils.

Back