How to replace a footpeg rubber

pckopp

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My 78 Standard has been over a couple of times and the left side rider footpeg rubber is quite chewed up. Apart from cutting it apart, how do you remove and replace this part?

Thanks.

Typically I'll use a hose removal tool or small screwdriver and some contact cleaner. Digging a bit deeper until its completely free and slides off

Tho, IMO it'd be easier to purchase an entire peg off of one of the fellas here. Just put up a wanted thread.

Posted via Mobile

The rubbers are replaceable Gotta look but I think you remove the peg from the bracket and then the rubber goes IN to remove? The Mikes replacements tend to split in the first year. So yes a used peg with good rubber makes sense. I see motolanna now has brit bike styled (round) rubbers for our bikes

The rubbers are replaceable Gotta look but I think you remove the peg from the bracket and then the rubber goes IN to remove?

I have not had time to take pictures of my pegs but I found one on ebay that looks just like mine. I have attached the photos. It looks like removing the peg from the bracket involves destroying a rivet. Are these available? Or is there a removeable replacement? Also, you can see on the last picture there is a metal end piece that prevents taking the rubber off in that direction.

So yes a used peg with good rubber makes sense.

Noted. I bought the one pictured.

Thanks again for the continued excellent advice.

Next up: New stainless spokes and polishing wheel parts.

Attachments

• $_56.JPG
    $_56.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 263
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 263
  • $_58.JPG
    $_58.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 237
You will be happy with that. The originals on my '78 are showing a bit of wear but still have plenty of life left in them. On the other hand, my buddy replaced some on one of his 650s with the MikesXS part. They were literally worn right out after only about 2 seasons. Their rubber bushings for the mounts are another part to be wary of. They don't last for shit either. Re-use the ones from your original peg.

Back