How-To: Wheel Bearings

+1 on checking the grease in the wheel bearings. Even on newer bikes, the OE bearings are very lightly greased. In over 250,000 miles of riding bikes made from 1989 and up, the most common failure I have had is OEM wheel bearings, and they are usually DRY when I open them. Even more often than light bulbs.
Side Note: If you own a Honda Shadow 1100 with a 19 inch front wheel, check your bearings (6! all front, all diff. bikes!) SV650 (1F, 1R) EX500 (1F) Marauder (2F) Shadow 750 (1R)

The dust seals go on the outside of the wheel though correct?

Front - so it should be dust seal, wheel, oil seal, bearing, spacer, bearing, oil seal, wheel, dust seal ?

Rear - so it should be dust seal, wheel, oil seal, bearing, spacer, part that goes in bearing, bearing, oil seal, wheel, dust seal ?

Take a look at the exploded parts diagrams for your wheels. That will show you what goes where .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y...T WHEEL XS650D - E - E006501- - F/parts.html#

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y...AR WHEEL XS650D - E - E006501- - F/parts.html

There is only one dust seal on each wheel. On the front, it goes on the right (disc) side. The speedo drive acts as the dust seal on the left. On the rear, it goes on the left (sprocket) side. The brake plate acts as the dust seal on the right side. If you have a rear disc, then it's a bit different. I'll let you look that up on your own.

Listen to 5twins, I meant to say oil seal not dust seal. Thats what I get for trying to read the forums while pretending to pay attention in class. Sorry for any confusion.

I'm sorry if this seems redundant but I just wanna make sure I get this right. God knows I don't wanna pull these bearings out again...

The only thing "inside" the wheel is the spacer on the front wheel and the spacer and that piece inside the bearing on the back wheel right.

Just wondering if anyone has a couple spare dust seals for a front spoked wheel. I ordered a set of front bearings and only received the bearings.

Did I totally screw up? I used the old wheel bearing to drive in the new one. I can't figure out how to get it out. Do I have to remove them both and get another new bearing and a proper tool? :banghead:

You can try to use a punch or something with a hammer and just tap out the old bearing. The key is to not damage your new bearing my hitting/striking it. Otherwise if you can get your hands on a tool like this
or something similar where you will basically 'pull' that old bearing out rather than 'push' it out.

I just put in new bearings in both my front and rear wheels. Front was no problem but the rear, after pressing the bearings the spacer does not fit tight to the bearings. what could be wrong. the wheels are stock from a 1981.

Never mind I got it fixed, I didn't have the bearing in the whole way. Feel like a shmuck!!

Last edited:
Take a look at the exploded parts diagrams for your wheels. That will show you what goes where .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1977/XS650D/FRONT WHEEL XS650D - E - E006501- - F/parts.html#

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1977/XS650D/REAR WHEEL XS650D - E - E006501- - F/parts.html

There is only one dust seal on each wheel. On the front, it goes on the right (disc) side. The speedo drive acts as the dust seal on the left. On the rear, it goes on the left (sprocket) side. The brake plate acts as the dust seal on the right side. If you have a rear disc, then it's a bit different. I'll let you look that up on your own.

The diagram that shows the rear I think is wrong. What they call a "collar" #21 looks like the bearing. Also I don't even have the #23. Mine are disk Mags though, so do you know if I should even have #23? I don't suppose you know? I can't seem to find a mag breakdown.

Yes, the numbers in the drawing don't match up with the numbers in the parts list for that drum rear wheel. Here's a disc mag rear. The numbers are right on this drawing. The left side should be the same as a drum wheel. The right side differs .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1978/XS650SE/REAR WHEEL/parts.html

You probably do have #23 but it has #24 pressed onto it. They are listed as separate parts but I've never seen them that way. They're pressed together. Here they are sitting on the axle, they appear as one part .....

full

Here's what they look like fit into the wheel .....

full

Last edited:
It's a sheet metal dust shield pressed onto a stepped spacer. It's hard to see the step on the actual part. It shows it better in the drawing. I think it's something you really need and want an original of. Since it was used on every 650 rear wheel it shouldn't be hard to acquire a nice used one. You might try contacting gggGary. He's got quite the parts stash.

So why do I have this super thin ring in my stuff from the bearing removal? Thin with a raised inner lip. No diagram has it. I have all the parts now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 399
It's a sheet metal dust shield pressed onto a stepped spacer. It's hard to see the step on the actual part. It shows it better in the drawing. I think it's something you really need and want an original of. Since it was used on every 650 rear wheel it shouldn't be hard to acquire a nice used one. You might try contacting gggGary. He's got quite the parts stash.

Stole one from one of my other rear rims, shined it up looks good. Thanks for the advice. I'd offer my help if you needed it, but I don't know enough to fill a thimble.

I'm pretty sure that thin stepped ring is part of the speedo drive assembly that fits in the front hub .....

full

The ring with the tabs on it drops into the notches in the hub first, then that ring you have fits over it to retain it. The grease seal fits over them both and holds them in the hub .....

full

full

Part #12 in the front wheel drawing linked to in post 23.

Last edited:
Been poking around the site for some time now and notice a lot of good How-To guides on the site that I sure know helped me with my build so far. About to put wheel bearings back in and want to make sure I have everything I need and in the right order. Once I can confirm all the parts, I will make a How-To with PLENTY of pictures. I am sure I don't do everything right so hopefully a few guys can chip in to make sure I have a good guide.

Let get a few parts I.D.ed and get this thread started :thumbsup:

img2876dt.jpg

As I side notes, I ordered the four bearings and seals already so those are set to go.

Alright, I took a long time but the wheels and bearings are done and let me start by saying - they are super easy! I am kind of embarrassed I even made a How-To for something so simple. The diagrams of the wheels make everything much more intimidating than it really is.

Front Wheel:
Both bearings are the same size so pick one and pop it in. I used a small piece of 2x4 to get it started in flat and then used a bearing punch to finish it.
img2949l.jpg

Now, flip the wheel over and use the internal spacer (shorter of the two tall spacers) in between the two front wheel bearings. It is key to keep the spacer lined up through the center. I used a piece of rope to keep it lined up while tapping in the opposite side bearing.
img2947g.jpg

img2948gm.jpg

Same as before, just tap that bearing in and you're done! I drilled a hole through the 2x4 to tap it in flat and then used the punch again. The spacer doesn't seem to be able to move around much inside when tapping it in so if you lose the rope, no worries. I will be using a speedo delete from Hugh so no need to worry about anything else for me.

Rear Wheel:
Pretty much the same thing, the only big difference is the small collar that needs to be fitted into the larger bearing.
img2941g.jpg

The collar is used to create a snug fit between the axle and bearing so that is essential. I have seem some for sale if you lost it or didn't save it when removing the old bearings.

Again, tap one bearing in first to its proper side (these two bearings are not the same size). Place the larger internal spacer on a string as before like the front wheel and put the other side bearing in.

Good to go :thumbsup:

Hope this helps!
Hello, I see you had the rear bearing inserts for sale, I need one!
Thanks
Michael

He's not selling them, 650Central is, but they're not cheap (about $25).

Back