hughs oil filter

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
have put a brand new hughs oil cooler /filter on new rebuilt motor.now run in with 600kls ,leaks oil from around filter when motors hot , still the same after 500 mile oil and filter change.. leaking badly from top area of cooler/filter once motor warmed up..any ideas

You have been conned Flea. Go back to the manufacture, must have a warranty.

From Hughs Site; "If you know Hugh's HandBuilt, then you know we don't offer ANYTHING to the public that we don't fully test ourselves. This new oil cooler is keeping with that tradition, having been 2 years in the making." ...............Kinda says it all that last part

Hey, Flea. I'd be looking for non-flat surfaces. Clean both mating surfaces as best you can, then paint both surfaces with something like dyechem or marks-a-lot. Fit (ungasketed) filter housing in there and press while twisting it around. Withdraw and look at the patterns, revealing high and low spots...

well bit late for warranty as bought about 3/4 yrs ago as long term parts collection for project motor ,will definitely go looking for high /low spots,any suggestions for a sealent (gasket?? maybe) that wont chance blocking oil ways....skull ,what would a oz version of dyechem /marks a lot be

thanks ..not happy as not a oil weep but a bad leak , give it a try then maybe back to original filter ,this is second ? stuff for me on hughs products ,first being a rephrased cam rewelded at wrong degrees (was a long way out) which he did replace but not before had to replace with a heidens cam because of time /fking around factor (good thing got a 2nd motor to rephrase but he did replace it) maybe he starting to go down mikes xs rd..(want to buy a hughs hyd clutch cheap..got 1 as well)

Flea,
I personally do not believe that Hugh's "oil cooler" does much cooling at all. He came out with it after Heiden has sold his upgraded filter kit, using a Honda paper filter and with some "cooling" fins.
Now, Heiden also sells a filter kit without the "cooling" fins, which looks much better IMHO. See link here:
http://xs650.biz/p/28/3437/mo74-cg|22=3/#ht-6504-oil-filter-kit-heiden-tuning-design-new
If you want to have a proper oil filter AND an option for a functional oil cooler, then you need this (cooler not included):
http://xs650.biz/p/28/2802/mo74-cg|22=3/#ht-0092-external-oil-filter-kit-

So basically Hugh's is a standard metal filter with some "cooling" fins. Basically "Bling". If "Bling" is what you want, Joker Machine has really nice, ribbed oil filter cover and alternator cover, here is a link:
http://jokermachine.com/products/cafe-racer/yamaha-xs650.html

I'm in agreement with arcticXS.

HHB copied the Heiden idea for an "Oil Cooler/Filter", but failed to use the Honda type paper filter in its design. However, the the use of a real paper filter was the main reason and benefit to use it. To call either HHB's or Heiden's product a "Cooler", is just marketing hype, and not factual at all. I doubt that in a real world test of oil temperature reduction, that these so called coolers would show any temperature reduction at all.

The Heiden design works very well. The paper filter adds real oil filtering which is a huge improvement from the stock Yamaha gravel strainer. They don't leak oil.

FLEA..............HHB's so called hydraulic clutch is not a hydraulic clutch at all. Its simply a wire cable replacement. The clutch is still mechanically operated by the worm gear.

HHB is big on marketing hyperbole, but falls short on product functionality.

There are 2 things that make these leak, uneven surfaces or leftover gasket materials.

If the surface where the OEM gasket is placed is gouged or not 100% cleaned of old materials, you can get a leak. The second is if the surface of the Oil Cooler is not flat. We don't install each and every unit of course, but take a look at the backside of the cooler, we did have a few where the bolt holes were deburred a bit too much, which can also cause a leak.

Shoot me an email, we'll be sure to get another out to you ASAP if it's something amiss on our part.

Thanks again - Hugh :thumbsup:

well bit late for warranty as bought about 3/4 yrs ago as long term parts collection for project motor ,will definitely go looking for high /low spots,any suggestions for a sealent (gasket?? maybe) that wont chance blocking oil ways....skull ,what would a oz version of dyechem /marks a lot be

Never too late for warranty, we'll stand behind it no problems.. I see you are overseas, shoot me an email and we'll go from there if you like :thumbsup:

ok ,first off this wasn't ment to be a hugh /hughs products bashing ,just frustrated and venting as well as looking for a answer to a problem,agreed not a oil cooler,hyd clutch was a good idea/ failure (I'm putting a hydens h/clutch on 1 and a t/tatto 1 on other motor) the rephrased cam was replaced but cost had me hunds of $$$ as it went back to the states to have a cam grind after then back to oz where it took the machinic hours to work out what was wrong before finding out was welded in wrong position (lobs profile was ground in original position ,not moved) (luckily didn't charge full rate for his time)and due to emails back and forth and postage time (4 weeks min) was easier and quicker (1 week) to use a heidens cam,(witch I'm quite happy with, the cam is a bit lumpy below 2500 rpm but very smooth across the rest with a bit of a kick about 4500 rpm). anyway, with cooler/ filter all surfaces smooth and no gasket residue before assemberly will pm you hugh..by the way for all the rephrased sceptics ,due to injuries suffer a lot of nerve pain which the xs650 vibrations played hell with but after rephase have found can easily ride twice the distance in relative comfort now ,so must affect tiriedness factor in long distance riding normally :bike:

No sweat, I never did get a chance to see that reground can - that one had me a bit perplexed, it changed so many hands who knows what happened..

I can understand your frustrations, I didn't take any of it personally, but rather want to make sure you are good to go in the end - no matter what...

I got your email, I just left the office but I'll get back to you on Monday.

Taking everyone's feedback into consideration, in the end I love these old bikes and want to see more of them on the road. :thumbsup:

Hugh

Back