Hurricane resurrection

My PC tells me that's a little over 700 miles. Hadn't heard of the Tail of the Dragon so I watched this video - Gulp!

Back to the X75 . . .

The Tail is only about 11 miles long....but whoa man - those are SOME 11 miles of twisty up and down roads with animals such as bears, deer etc., lurking in the woods, tree debris sprinkled around all over the road and NO shoulders for most of the distance. On one side you have a steep up-hill with rocks and trees and on the other side you have a 200+ foot cliff with stumps and boulders all the way down.

If you mess-up - you will get messed up.

Austin_Powers - YEAH_BABY.jpg

I don't recommend riding the Dragon for the first time a 1 O'clock in the morning in rain and fog after being in the saddle for 20 some hours. Not much fun. I was in survival mode. If I would have gone much slower around the hairpins I would have had to get off and walk the bike.That said it was an experience I will never forget. It was much more enjoyable going home on Monday morning in daylight. Pete Oh by the way I got there Thursday night. You guys didn't see much of me on Friday because I was trying to recover from the ride down. That took all weekend and then some.
upload_2019-11-3_16-42-53.png
s y
upload_2019-11-3_16-47-37.png

As you can see even in daylight I didn't have much lean angle.

As a life member of the AMA (47 years), I was going to post this sometime today. Coincidence that the Hurricane is shown now that Greg is starting a restoration. BTW, the article says there were 1170 made in '73.

Attachments

• hurricane 2.jpg
    hurricane 2.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 146
The Tail is only about 11 miles long....but whoa man - those are SOME 11 miles of twisty up and down roads with animals such as bears, deer etc., lurking in the woods, tree debris sprinkled around all over the road and NO shoulders for most of the distance. On one side you have a steep up-hill with rocks and trees and on the other side you have a 200+ foot cliff with stumps and boulders all the way down.

If you mess-up - you will get messed up.

View attachment 153244
There's a BIG OLD TREE with carnage nailed to it to prove it.

Back to resurrecting.
Working on getting the engine out. Made up some crude tools to help with the lifting. She's heavier than a 650. I wanted to use my hydraulic lift but this engine doesn't lend its self to that. Only plan on doing 1 triple so we'll horse it out and back in.
1.JPG

2.JPG

Also starting on a stand for it.
3.JPG

upload_2019-11-6_13-36-50.png

Last edited:
Indeed - an XS650 engine reportedly weighs about 165 lbs but I'd wager the 750 cc BSA / Triumph triple would top 200 lbs and it is also bigger and thus harder to get your arms around.

Your lifting arrangements look good and solid for a couple of strapping young lads though Greg!

Pete

Last edited:
Got the engine out. That went very well. Engine resting comfortably on a semi-finished stand.
upload_2019-11-14_18-46-46.png

Finished stripping the rest of the stuff off of the frame. Frame and other parts at powder coater. Started cleaning parts up. Trying to do it in the order they should be going back on. Plus I wanted to see how well some of the parts will look. Started with the yolks. Before.
upload_2019-11-14_18-52-28.png

After hot tank.
upload_2019-11-14_18-53-59.png

One done.
upload_2019-11-14_18-55-8.png

Both done.
upload_2019-11-14_18-56-10.png

There are not perfect but I'm not going for perfect. Hell they weren't perfect when they left the factory.
upload_2019-11-14_19-0-8.png

Also spent some time on the forks.
upload_2019-11-14_19-2-21.png

Found some issues but no show stoppers yet. I'll show those as I get to them. Going to start on the wheels next while I wait for the first wave of parts to arrive.

Looks great Greg! You’re moving right along on this, how exciting! These bikes are so iconic and rare, there should be a registry for them, like Cobras. Carry on! :thumbsup:

By the way, have you ever rode a right side shift before. It takes some getting used to, have to overcome your muscle memory!

Last edited:
By the way, have you ever rode a right side shift before.
I rode this bike way back when. All my other bikes were left hand shift. Normally just rode the Triumph during lunch or Sunday afternoons. The right hand shift took some getting used to. There were times I messed up. It let me know real fast when I would use the shifter for the brake or try to shift the brake.:doh:

Back