Hurricane resurrection

One of the few motor vehicle regulations that made sense requiring standardised shift and brake locations. Was surprised they choose the Japanese standard instead of the brits. I guess Honda had more bribe money. You meet the nicest people on a Honda ya know.

One of the few motor vehicle regulations that made sense requiring standardised shift and brake locations. Was surprised they choose the Japanese standard instead of the brits. I guess Honda had more bribe money. You meet the nicest people on a Honda ya know.
I don't think it had much to to with just Honda. I remember reading a long time ago it was because it seemed to make more sense to have all breaking on the right and all shifting on the left. When this went into effect in 75 the Japanese had the vast majority of the bike market. Probably had something to do with it too.

Yeah Japanese share of market probably had more to do with it than anything else, only US offerings at the time were evenly split for shifting side, Big twin on left, Sporty on right.

When it comes to that kind of governmental interference they really screwed up when it cam to autos by not requiring the gas door to be on one side for all vehicles. Gas stations today are always a crap shoot with people jostling all around looking for a fill up on their side

Still have fond memories of shoving the garden hose into dad's Cadillac.
CadillacGasCap.jpg

Hey, I was 4 years old...

Took the front wheel apart. Cleaned up the rim.As you can see there was some oxidation. They kinda look like snowflakes. Has anybody here ever laced up a Borrani rim?
Before
rim2.JPG

After
rim3.JPG
rim4.JPG

rim5.JPG

Into every project a little rain must fall. Got a small problem with my oil tank. Should have it fixed in a few days. Some may not agree but my method of choice is going to be brazing it.
oil.JPG
oil1.JPG

Attachments

• rim1.JPG
    rim1.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 173
Kind of what I'm thinking. Not a pressure vessel and the repair will be at the very top.

What about the paint? I'm not a painter, but I have seen classic cars with bubbled up paint because the panels were attached by brazing. So, I'll raise the question in case that has not been investigated.

What about the paint? I'm not a painter, but I have seen classic cars with bubbled up paint because the panels were attached by brazing. So, I'll raise the question in case that has not been investigated.
I told the guy doing my powder coating how I was going to fix it and he said it would not be a problem. Hope he's right. Plus all the pipes and bungs are brazed on from the factory.

That's happens when you don't use a good acid/solvent to remove all the flux after brazing. Paint adhesion to brass is good when it's clean.

Yup. Brazing is a great choice. When I read your post (#47), I thought "...braze it. It's not structural, or under pressure, and with it all being metal, he could powder coat it if he wanted to..." Lead solder is another maybe (hence "lead sled"), but it's a softer metal. That was my plan on "The Basketcase". I'm going to grind all the welds smooth on the frame, and any pits will get filled by brazing (and ground again), before powder coating. It should last at least another 45 years...

A little late to the party, but I’m also with you on the brazing repair. I’ve brazed lots and lots of stuff in the past, it’s a good solid repair that’s easy to control and not wind up blowing the holes larger by accident.

Found a used oil tank in the UK. $500. OUCH. I think I will spend whatever time it takes to repair mine.
Shout out to Buchanan Spoke Co. I ordered stainless spokes on Thursday morning and they arrived today. 60 hours after ordering they arrived.
upload_2019-11-16_17-59-25.png

Now I need to get busy and finish polishing the front hub.
upload_2019-11-16_18-3-33.png

Try this, for all those hard-to-reach places...
https://harborfreight.com/14-piece-aluminum-polishing-kit-98707.html
image_12930.jpg
My rims are at just about the same stage as yours right now, but I think I'll be able to get away with MikesXs polished stainless spoke sets. Now, to make the rims and hubs look like they're worth the work it took to rebuild them....

Rims have new spokes.
upload_2019-12-6_18-26-21.png
upload_2019-12-6_18-27-1.png

Ordered some stuff from England Monday morning. it arrived Thursday afternoon. Amazing. New shocks, chain guard, grab rail and a few other parts. Hung some parts on frame so it would look like a bike again. Keeps me motivated.
upload_2019-12-6_18-32-7.png

Brakes are ready to go on.
upload_2019-12-6_18-34-30.png

Rear fender has a problem. Not just rusted but also cracked and broken. I may have found a replacement for it, won't know until Monday. I realize the fender could be fixed and re-chromed. Not sure if I could do it correctly so I would rather replace it. Taillight assy is rusty but could be re-chromed if needed.
upload_2019-12-6_18-36-46.png

Going to order tires Monday. Think I'll go with Conti Go's. I happen to like the look of a more modern tire on a old bike. Plus they are economical, black, round, hold air and work well. I have them on 2 other bikes and have not found them lacking in any respect.

Back