Hydrolic clutch or YZ perch lever 650central EZ pull cable

teamkandy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I want to go the Hughes pit bike clutch and hoses or new 650 central E-Z Pull cable. I currently have a worn out perch with stock style mirror. The problem is I have a couple broke fibers on the cable so I am going to need to replace it.

Those that have done the hydrolic conversion would you do it again?
Has the hot cold adjustment went away?
What are you using for a mirror(s)?

Those that have the YZ style perch and lever what are you running for mirror(s)?
Did the longer lever throw help with finding neutral when the engine is hot?

Im interested to hear other peoples experience with the pitbike hydro clutch conversion. I am definitely planning to do this myself eventually if it is good as I think it should be.

I tried the hydraulic and couldn't get it to work well. Not dumping on Hugh he sent a new part but it didn't help. I think it's just poor quality control from the factory. Ended up going with the E-Z pull and the yz perch and am very happy with it.
As for mirrors I went with bar end.

unfortunately, I agree with Bigfeet. No dumpin on Hugh, I think he makes great stuff and offers priceless help here. But sounds like my experience was very similar. And, I couldn't put a lever on to replace the itty bitty one that came with it.

I am 100% happy with the EZ Pull lever and cable. I, too went bar end.

I tried the hydraulic and couldn't get it to work well. Not dumping on Hugh he sent a new part but it didn't help. I think it's just poor quality control from the factory. Ended up going with the E-Z pull and the yz perch and am very happy with it.
As for mirrors I went with bar end.

unfortunately, I agree with Bigfeet. No dumpin on Hugh, I think he makes great stuff and offers priceless help here. But sounds like my experience was very similar. And, I couldn't put a lever on to replace the itty bitty one that came with it.

I am 100% happy with the EZ Pull lever and cable. I, too went bar end.

Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to put together a kit just using the slave cylinder from the pitbike setup, then use a larger lever/perch/MC combo from a dirtbike. Right?

I think I need to do a bit more research in this area. I think it should be pretty straight forward. The hardest bit seemed to be finding an appropriate slave cylinder, isn't it?

I could be simply missing something really simple, and am keen to hear more from you guys that have done the swap.

Just to be clear, the so called "hydraulic clutch" is not a hydraulic clutch. It simply replaces the wire cable with a hydraulic cable and slave cylinder. The clutch actuation (plate separation) in both cases is done by the mechanical worm gear.

A true hydraulic clutch uses a slave cylinder to push the push rod to separate the plates.

The E-Z pull cable is a better choice.

I don't think anyone has attempted to claim otherwise have they?

The slave cylinder operates the cable, and the hydraulic action takes a lot of the pressure and strain out of the action, creating a smoother operation overall.

Also, the aesthetics of the hydraulic setup is a definite bonus for some people over the cable setup.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I will probably replace my failing EZ pull cable and go with longer throw lever. Thank you retired for clarifying that the setup is not a true hydrolic clutch. I knew how it worked but it seams it is referred on this site as the hydrolic setup. It just seams with my current setup I feel like I need a little adjustment after I have rode a bit and am at a stop light or trying to find that area in between fist and second :laugh: and was wondering if only having one adjustment at the worm would be the way to go. But it sounds like I just need to change out my lever perch setup.

Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to put together a kit just using the slave cylinder from the pitbike setup, then use a larger lever/perch/MC combo from a dirtbike. Right?
No it shouldn't be that hard at all. I thought of that myself but when I installed the EZ pull
I was pretty pleased so I abandoned the hydraulic setup.
I think the master cylinder was the weak link in my case but it very well could have been my installation. I bet Hugh would probably be interested in a better way if you find one.

Yeah, something like that would be great. I think I need to look for a more robust option for the slave cylinder too. Maybe there is a beefier option available

I have a true hydraulic clutch setup I created and it works so easy. I machined the side cover to hold the slave cylinder. I takes one finger to operate not exaggerating. Here is a pic of the setup as just another option, took less than 2 hours to machine with simple tools.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 238
I'm using a clutch perch & lever off a Yamaha R6. The lever is a bit longer than the standard XS one. Also has an adjuster that you're able to adjust when moving.
Watch out for those cables from Mikes... :banghead:

Also not knocking on Hugh, but like most everyone else I was not able to get his hydraulic clutch to be as consistent or perform as well as the stock cable clutch. I had issues with the first one he sent out leaking form the slave cylinder, then the second one just didn't work great. I used it for about 2 months and constantly had to adjust the worm gear engagement. Eventually the slave cylinder gave out on me while going uphill.. Very well could have been user error but Hugh mentioned that his show is no longer selling the clutch.

That being said, after routing my stock cable in a better fashion and lubing the shit outta the housing I have no issues at all with the clutch pull.

Back