Hyraulic clutch cover mod service

ippytattoo

Just another grumpy old hack.
Reaction score
Well here goes nothing.

I have been working on this for a little while now and feel that I am ready to make my IPO (initial public offering) of a new service I am going to be doing. First off I have to give credit to osteoderm for the initial idea for this modification. Secondly I need to thank TwoManyXS1Bs and Weekendrider for the kind words and encouragement along with help with the tooling. I have just refined my tooling and process so that I can ensure accuracy and repeatability.

I am sure you are all on pins and needles wondering "what is this going to include and how much is it going to cost?"

I will start with what is included:

I will drill/tap and machine your supplied cover so you can mount an Aprilia RSV type slave cylinder for a true hydraulic clutch like many of the modern sport bikes.

The parts that will be included are:
(1) 30.5mm aftermarket Aprilia slave cylinder (available in 5 different colors; black, silver, red, blue and gold)
(1) banjo bolt with bleeder and copper sealing washers
(1) precision ground 8mm stainless steel pushrod
(1) 8mm stainless steel ball that goes inside the slave cylinder piston
(3) stainless steel mounting screws
(6) nylon leveling washers

So now you are probably wondering why there is no mention of a master cylinder or hose? Due to the many different styles of master cylinders available and every persons individual style it would be very difficult to offer any 1 type of master cylinder. I will state that I am using a master cylinder with a 13mm bore. Now as far as the hose again there is far to many different possibilities in regards to the heights of the handle bars and also the different possible routings of the hose which make it very difficult to even hazard a guess as to what length people would need. I would suggest you take a look at Russell hoses and ends that are offered by Summit racing or your local speed shop.

Now we get down to brass tacks, the cost, The cost is $200 for the machine work and all of the parts listed. If at any point I find that I can get the parts at a reduced cost then the price will be adjusted accordingly (I try to share the love).

Another part that is rather important to discuss; shipping. In addition to the $200 for parts and machining the buyer will be responsible for shipping both ways (to me and back to you). Once the cover is received it will be machined and re-packed in the same packaging that it was received in and sent back using the same method you sent it to me by. If it helps to calculate the cost the additional weight will be right about 10oz.

UPDATE: I am now offering this as a kit for $170 shipped in the US for those of you who would like to do the machining portion yourselves.

If you are interested feel free to PM me and I will happily discuss arrangements. Also My paypal address is ippytattoo@cableone.net

And now some fun, PICTURES

Attachments

• slave2.jpg
    slave2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 683
  • slave1.jpg
    slave1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 687
  • banjo.jpg
    banjo.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCF1617.jpg
    DSCF1617.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 910
Last edited:
Yes the rod is longer than stock, it is 300mm long. I have used anywhere from 296mm to 300mm with proper function. If you have the one piece rod it will replace the OEM rod and the ball in the OEM worm screw. If you have the 2 piece rod it will replace both rods and the ball in between the rods and the ball in the OEM worm screw.

Just wanted to bring this back and let everyone know that I am still offering this. If you are interested and have questions feel free to post any questions you have here or send me a PM and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

I have some of these out in the field and would love to get some feedback on these. If you have gotten one of these please feel free to post your experience and thoughts here.

Alright, I have been approached by a couple of people that expressed an interest in the hydraulic clutch converion parts in a kit form. So I am going to go ahead and put this out there for the general public. I am willing to supply the parts (1 Billet slave cylinder in the color of your choice - currently red is out of stock, 1 titanium banjo/bleeder bolt with crush washers, 1 8mmX300mm hardened SS pushrod, 1 8mm hardened SS ball, mounting hardware for the slave cylinder - 3 m6x1.0 bolts and 6 nylon leveling washers) and instructions for those of you who feel you have the skills and tools to do the machining. The regular price for the parts and instructions will be $170 shipped but right now my supplier is offering the slave cylinders at a reduced cost so I am able to do them until Wed for $145 shipped. Now keep in mind that I have to order the slave cylinders so it will take about 1 week for me to get these shipped out once you have paid for the item. If you are nterested send me a PM with your paypal address and your color selection and I will send you an invoice.

Clayton

Prices quoted are shipped in the U.S.

Last edited:
Well here goes nothing.

I have been working on this for a little while now and feel that I am ready to make my IPO (initial public offering) of a new service I am going to be doing. First off I have to give credit to osteoderm for the initial idea for this modification. Secondly I need to thank TwoManyXS1Bs and Weekendrider for the kind words and encouragement along with help with the tooling. I have just refined my tooling and process so that I can ensure accuracy and repeatability.

I am sure you are all on pins and needles wondering "what is this going to include and how much is it going to cost?"

I will start with what is included:

I will drill/tap and machine your supplied cover so you can mount an Aprilia RSV type slave cylinder for a true hydraulic clutch like many of the modern sport bikes.

The parts that will be included are:
(1) 30.5mm aftermarket Aprilia slave cylinder (available in 5 different colors; black, silver, red, blue and gold)
(1) banjo bolt with bleeder and copper sealing washers
(1) precision ground 8mm stainless steel pushrod
(1) 8mm stainless steel ball that goes inside the slave cylinder piston
(3) stainless steel mounting screws
(6) nylon leveling washers

So now you are probably wondering why there is no mention of a master cylinder or hose? Due to the many different styles of master cylinders available and every persons individual style it would be very difficult to offer any 1 type of master cylinder. I will state that I am using a master cylinder with a 13mm bore. Now as far as the hose again there is far to many different possibilities in regards to the heights of the handle bars and also the different possible routings of the hose which make it very difficult to even hazard a guess as to what length people would need. I would suggest you take a look at Russell hoses and ends that are offered by Summit racing or your local speed shop.

Now we get down to brass tacks, the cost, The cost is $200 for the machine work and all of the parts listed. If at any point I find that I can get the parts at a reduced cost then the price will be adjusted accordingly (I try to share the love).

Another part that is rather important to discuss; shipping. In addition to the $200 for parts and machining the buyer will be responsible for shipping both ways (to me and back to you). Once the cover is received it will be machined and re-packed in the same packaging that it was received in and sent back using the same method you sent it to me by. If it helps to calculate the cost the additional weight will be right about 10oz.

If you are interested feel free to PM me and I will happily discuss arrangements. Also My paypal address is ippytattoo@cableone.net

And now some fun, PICTURES
Are you still doing this ? I think this is just what I want/need . Put together with your 8 pack and Barnett springs this would make all the stop and go riding I have to do these days much easier .

Sounds good Scrambled. Just let me know what color slave cylinder you want (right now my supplier has the red ones on backorder) when you send the funds and I will be happy to take care of you. I have to say that I really like the Hyd clutch with the Alto 8-pack clutch, I get an adjustment free, slip free clutch since the hyd system automatically adjusts and the Alto friction plates really do work well.

I have the Mike's kevlar discs , the one piece rod and the xs performance springs (made in Japan ) in there now . When I replaced the clutch parts ( all new ) the parts that I took out were new as well , the PO had just replaced the clutch before I bought the bike , so I don't think I will ever be happy with the stock clutch , must be a weak spot on these bikes . As soon as I get my spare cover ( should be shipped early next week ) I will send it to you . I would take a silver or a black slave cylinder , either one .

What exactly are you experiencing with your clutch that you don't like? Hard lever pull, slippage or alot of adjusting? The hydraulic clutch paired with the Alto 8-Pack clutch will do alot for the last 2 but in all honesty the lever pull on mine is not a whole lot less than a well maintained cable clutch because you are still having to overcome the force of the heavier springs. Not trying to discourage you from oredering I just don't want you to have any expectations that exceed what the parts were intended for. When I started on these 2 mods I had specific things in mind to correct and these work amazingly for those items.

Clayton

Slippage and adjustment , I just wan't the clutch to hook up as soon as I let the lever out . Eliminating the need for adjustment is nice too , and with a good master cylinder the pull should be lighter even with Barnett springs .

Ippy when you do the 8-pack on a 1978 do you have to do some machine work on the clutch carrier basket? Thanks Tony C

Ippy when you do the 8-pack on a 1978 do you have to do some machine work on the clutch carrier basket? Thanks Tony C

I think on 79 and earlier the 8 pack is drop in, and 80 and up you need to machinensure the basket a little bit. His thread on the 8 pack clutches has the info in it or a link to it, I was checking it out the other day.

If I recall correctly they made the change in the middle of the 78 model year for the inner clutch hub, changing from the earlier type that used 7 friction plates to the type that used the spring loaded bottom plate and 6 friction plates. If you have the early style there is no machining required but if you have the later style then there is some machining that needs to be done like I posted here. I do have 1 modified inner hub sitting here if you are interested.

I had to edit my post in that thread because I found the change in 78 on the fiche.

full

AMD, you can see how I routed my hose in the pic above but there are alot of other ways to route the hose which is why I do not include a hose with the slave cylinder and service. If you look at osteoderms build thread you can see how he routed his hose very similar to the original routing of the clutch cable and I have seen others routed up between the carbs. In short your options for hose routing are only controlled by what looks good to you.

I hope this answered your questions.

Clayton

AMD, just let me know what color slave cylinder when you are ready (it takes abut 3 days for me to get them in).

Tony, glad it made it safe and sound. Post up some pics when you get it all on and ready.

Clayton

Back