I’ve got the flu blues

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Man this really sucks! I’ve been down for a couple days now, today is the first I’ve felt alive enough to crawl outa bed. I get my flu shot religiously , as soon as they become available. But somehow I got it anyways.
It’s probably been twenty years since the last time I’ve had it. Man I feel like I’ve been ran over by a truck! :confused:
Anybody want to come over for a visit? :D
6053E2D1-3803-4ACC-94C7-A94587BBF384.jpeg

Last year;
"The overall vaccine effectiveness (VE) of the 2017-2018 flu vaccine against both influenza A and B viruses is estimated to be 40%. This means the flu vaccine reduced a person's overall risk of having to seek medical care at a doctor's office for flu illness by 40%."

Hardly a bullet proof solution.
I started getting shots when I didn't want to risk infecting elderly relatives, now I am one. :cautious:

Last edited:
Man this really sucks! I’ve been down for a couple days now, today is the first I’ve felt alive enough to crawl outa bed. I get my flu shot religiously , as soon as they become available. But somehow I got it anyways.
It’s probably been twenty years since the last time I’ve had it. Man I feel like I’ve been ran over by a truck! :confused:
View attachment 131330

I will come over Bob however, I am not going to put my tongue in when I kiss you!!!

GW

Lemon Honey and garlic and a hefty dose of vitamin C when it first hits, Make up a pot of tea with the solution and drink it all day...........I think the Garlic is to keep other people from getting to close.........Probably better to eat lots of garlic first then other people wont get close enough to give you the flue............Mind you a sneeze has the potential to travel 30 meter's...........don't you just love good advice to late.....lol

Not the flu, but i've been riding out a head and chest cold for over a week and half now. Seems our family has been passing this one back and forth. On a positive note, because all my coughing, my wife thinks my voice sounds like Sam Elliott now. It's definitely dropped a couple of octaves.

bad luck Bob.......... right before Christmas too. :(
I'm teetotal myself but I hear that alcohol numbs everything pretty effectively
Even Flu can have a silver lining :)

View attachment 131330
OK, but don't kiss me. According to my doctor, getting the flu shot as soon as it's available is not the best way to go. The stores advertise, "Your flu shot is available. Get it now." But the shot is an educated guess as to what flu strain will be the one that is most prevalent. The best time to get it is November when it is known what flu everyone has. If possible, the vaccine will be targeted to that strain.

Much of the scientific and medical test results and papers that I have read over the years suggests that Flu inoculations are not particularly effective and can sometimes lead to various unwanted side effects .

Influenza is a air borne highly contagious Virus that enters the body like most Viruses via the mouth in the air we breathe.

My philosophy is to restrict the opportunities of contracting the Virus by avoiding people that may have colds or Flue , particularly children and people that work in a School environment or any other work, leisure or retail environment where there is a significantly increased risk of infection.

Last year I contracted Vertigo (Herpes Zosta Virus ) which lasted 4x weeks and Shingles which lasted 6x months and has left me with periodic flare ups and permanent nerve damage .

I believe prevention is always preferable to cure

Much of the scientific and medical test results and papers that I have read over the years suggests that Flu inoculations are not particularly effective and can sometimes lead to various unwanted side effects .

Influenza is a air borne highly contagious Virus that enters the body like most Viruses via the mouth in the air we breathe.

My philosophy is to restrict the opportunities of contracting the Virus by avoiding people that may have colds or Flue , particularly children and people that work in a School environment or any other work, leisure or retail environment where there is a significantly increased risk of infection.

Last year I contracted Vertigo (Herpes Zosta Virus ) which lasted 4x weeks and Shingles which lasted 6x months and has left me with periodic flare ups and permanent nerve damage .

I believe prevention is always preferable to cure
I'm sorry to hear that. I agree, and have gotten my flu shot every year, the pneumonia vaccine and shingles vaccine with a booster, even though I get flu like symptoms from the flu and pneumonia vaccine that leaves me sick for 3 days. But how can you avoid shopping for food? Or in my case, working with sick people, every day. Now we have children that get sick at the drop of a hat. They rarely play outside. I can only speak for myself and my brother, but we played in the dirt, exposing ourselves to all the most common germs in the environment. There is a cemetery from the early 1700's, two towns away from me. One day, I took a stroll through it to see the names of the people buried there. In the late 1730's, on two separate occasions whole groups of family members from separate families perished in a few short months. This was always an affluent area, no one starved to death, but I'm sure no one had access to all the nutrition we have, today, either. I would have to guess it was from the flu as the deaths occurred in the late fall and early winter months, when people huddled together for warmth and comfort. We have forgotten just how deadly these germs were to our ancestors...

I'm sorry to hear that. I agree, and have gotten my flu shot every year, the pneumonia vaccine and shingles vaccine with a booster, even though I get flu like symptoms from the flu and pneumonia vaccine that leaves me sick for 3 days. But how can you avoid shopping for food? Or in my case, working with sick people, every day. Now we have children that get sick at the drop of a hat. They rarely play outside. I can only speak for myself and my brother, but we played in the dirt, exposing ourselves to all the most common germs in the environment. There is a cemetery from the early 1700's, two towns away from me. One day, I took a stroll through it to see the names of the people buried there. In the late 1730's, on two separate occasions whole groups of family members from separate families perished in a few short months. This was always an affluent area, no one starved to death, but I'm sure no one had access to all the nutrition we have, today, either. I would have to guess it was from the flu as the deaths occurred in the late fall and early winter months, when people huddled together for warmth and comfort. We have forgotten just how deadly these germs were to our ancestors...

A wise man protects himself the best he can by taking responsibility for his or her own health and doing a little research on the net and taking whatever precautions he or she can to minimise the risk of contracting disease and debilitating chronic conditions .

I don't think its so much a question of what we all did as children 60+ years ago . Things were very different back then and we all had strong healthy immune systems as children
In the 1920s over 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with the Spanish Flu , and the number of deaths were estimated to be least 50 million worldwide. Many of them were young healthy adults .

When i was a kid growing up in london after the blitz many children had TB and rickets and Polio and most elderly deaths were from Chronic Bronchitis or Pneumonia . When I walked 2 miles to school I often had to feel my way along the garden hedges due to the thick Smog . We couldn't even see our feet on pavements we walked on !

Anyone over the age of 60 in the UK today gets a free Flu jab because it is recognised that they are particularly susceptable to Flu due to their generally poor health and often compromised immune systems.

You wouldn't walk through your place of work handling door handles and furniture and then go eat a sandwich without first washing your hands would you ...yet millions of people do exactly that every day without the slightest inkling of what they are carrying on their fingers . Staphylococcus E-coli Salmonella Campylobacter Aureas and other harmful microbes .
My pet hate is people that don't wash their hands after using the toilet or before preparing food for others to eat. Its just ignorance about the risks

If you were to ask the first 100 people you came across in the street what the difference is between viruses and bacteria , how they are contracted or spread , how long they survive out of a host and what illnesses they can cause I would bet 95%+ wouldn't have a clue ..;)

When i was a kid growing up in london after the blitz many children had TB and rickets and Polio and most elderly deaths were from Chronic Bronchitis or Pneumonia . When I walked 2 miles to school I often had to feel my way along the garden hedges due to the thick Smog . We couldn't even see our feet on pavements we walked on !

Luxury. We used to live 'int 'ole 'int ground int middle't road. ;)

Back