I’ve got the flu blues

A wise man protects himself the best he can by taking responsibility for his or her own health and doing a little research on the net and taking whatever precautions he or she can to minimise the risk of contracting disease and debilitating chronic conditions .

I don't think its so much a question of what we all did as children 60+ years ago . Things were very different back then and we all had strong healthy immune systems as children
In the 1920s over 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with the Spanish Flu , and the number of deaths were estimated to be least 50 million worldwide. Many of them were young healthy adults .

When i was a kid growing up in london after the blitz many children had TB and rickets and Polio and most elderly deaths were from Chronic Bronchitis or Pneumonia . When I walked 2 miles to school I often had to feel my way along the garden hedges due to the thick Smog . We couldn't even see our feet on pavements we walked on !

Anyone over the age of 60 in the UK today gets a free Flu jab because it is recognised that they are particularly susceptable to Flu due to their generally poor health and often compromised immune systems.

You wouldn't walk through your place of work handling door handles and furniture and then go eat a sandwich without first washing your hands would you ...yet millions of people do exactly that every day without the slightest inkling of what they are carrying on . fingers . Staphylococcus E-coli Salmonella Campylobacter Aureas and other harmful microbes .
My pet hate is people that don't wash their hands after using the toilet or before preparing food for others to eat. Its just ignorance about the risks

If you were to ask the first 100 people you came across in the street what the difference is between viruses and bacteria , how they are contracted or spread , how long they survive out of a host and what illnesses they can cause I would bet 95%+ wouldn't have a clue ..;)
Peanut, you have had a tough situation all around. No one really talks about conditions in England. You've made me realize what you are going through along with your countrymen. It's worse than what I've imagined, and can't compare with personal situations. And I feel foolish talking about a few flu victims when scourges raced across Europe. Germs are everywhere. People behind food counters hand you food and take your money. Nurses aids go from hospital bed to hospital bed taking everyone's blood pressure with the same cuff. Doctors shouldn't wear ties or shake hands with patients. They've actually found human sperm on every object and surface in motel rooms in random surveys. I always bring my own pillow when travelling. But around the equator, prevalence of germs is many times worse. Yes they're everywhere and were the premise for the victory of humans over Martians in "War of the Worlds". And what you said about protecting yourself the best way you know is what I believe, also to be the best way to go forth.

Is this our future?

DailyLife_20181212.jpg

I like to think of our situation as a petrie dish filled with agar. Overnight the agar will begin to proliferate bacteria. After a week the bacteria will die from the center of the dish, outward as it succumbs to toxins in it's own excrement. And to quote a line from Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke"; "Every time you shit or piss, you are defecating on Mother Earth!" There's nothing wrong with humans per se', just too much of a good thing...

to quote a line from Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke"; "Every time you shit or piss, you are defecating on Mother Earth!" ...

'Hey man,maybe we're out of gas"..............."No man,it can't be that,I put in 59 cents two days ago'

You've taken me back a few years there Goldenboy....about 40 if memory serves :)

Whoah, hold on there @Goldenboy

The "we all lived in a hole in the road" was a nod toward the Monty Python sketch "The Four Yorkshiremen" which exaggerated to absurdity the Bristish tendency to claim that things were awful "in their day".

There may have been bombsites in the forties but by the time I was a twinkle in my Dad's eye it was "Youve never had so good time"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/july/20/newsid_3728000/3728225.stm

Things are still pretty good.

01.JPG

Twenty Best Views in Britain

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/travel/uk/the-20-best-views-in-the-uk-revealed-11364172147248

Come on over and find out.

Dave

I think this Arizona OJ found there may just get you through the morning ! Zzz Zzz . Hang in there ! View attachment 131352
I'm not a drinker, but if I start feeling low, I'll buy a little airline bottle of t'kill-ya, or vodka, first, to see if the alcohol will shake out the bug. It's better medicine than waiting for an hour in a doctor's office crammed with people coughing, hacking and sneezing...

Whoah, hold on there @Goldenboy

The "we all lived in a hole in the road" was a nod toward the Monty Python sketch "The Four Yorkshiremen" which exaggerated to absurdity the Bristish tendency to claim that things were awful "in their day".

There may have been bombsites in the forties but by the time I was a twinkle in my Dad's eye it was "Youve never had so good time"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/july/20/newsid_3728000/3728225.stm

Things are still pretty good.

View attachment 131452

Twenty Best Views in Britain

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/travel/uk/the-20-best-views-in-the-uk-revealed-11364172147248

Come on over and find out.

Dave
Looks good to me. Now I'm torn between two perceptions... A little personal research is in order.

Man this really sucks! I’ve been down for a couple days now, today is the first I’ve felt alive enough to crawl outa bed. I get my flu shot religiously , as soon as they become available. But somehow I got it anyways.
It’s probably been twenty years since the last time I’ve had it. Man I feel like I’ve been ran over by a truck! :confused:
Anybody want to come over for a visit? :D
View attachment 131330

Hi Mailman,
Put 2 oz lemon juice, 2oz honey & 6oz boiling water in a tall glass, stir until well mixed, add 2oz spiced rum.
Sip until gone. Repeat as necessary. This will not cure your flu but you won't care as much about having it.

That was a non-alcolic alternative to the traditional hot-toddy used by a our grandparents...
Hot Toddy, I'm seeing bourbon, honey and lemon juice, which is good for a cold. My friend had a similar remedy for what ails you. Just a mug of bourbon, no ice. Ask for that when you go to a bar and see the reaction you get from the bar tender.

Last edited:
Spanish flu mainly took mainly the the young and fit , goes to show flu changes from bird ,swine etc to human .. not anti vac but why infect your self with only a small chance it might help while playing with your immune system , worst and mainly only one flu ever had was fit as a fiddle swinging a 10 pound hammer 10 hrs a day on the r/way .. fit as a fiddle .. 2 weeks in hosp.. fever out the max , every strain is different , they are only guessing while putting your immunity at risk .. some vacs are very good idea but the flu one , I think is dodgy . long run maybe do harm than good

Dunno, I kinda think one of the risks of modern life is not ENOUGH challenges to our immune system. Current thinking is that is a big part of why so many kids have allergies these days; lack of environmental exposure to lots of different foreign substances from dirt etc. A constant amount of normal cuts, scrapes, inhaled, ingested; dirt, spores, animal feces, etc. may actually be beneficial to our health.

Last edited:
13450035_1189383277787324_5201787309445644380_n.jpg
Years back while at a doctors appointment recovering from substantial injuries inflicted upon me by my then 01 YZ250 ,
I spotted a poster in that doctors hall that did help me feel better.
It showed a skinny poor old guy in workout clothes.
Said "Quit smoking, Quit drinking, Eat healthy and exercise.
You may not live longer, But it will seem like it !

Dunno, I kinda think one of the risks of modern life is not ENOUGH challenges to our immune system. Current thinking is that is a big part of why so many kids have allergies these days; lack of environmental exposure to lots of different foreign substances from dirt etc. A constant amount of normal cuts, scrapes, inhaled, ingested; dirt, spores, animal feces, etc. may actually be beneficial to our health.

Hi Gary,
I read somewhere that most of the 1950's US polio victims were the first generation of youngsters who learned to swim
in chlorinated swimming pools instead of in the local swimmin' hole.

Back