I’ve got the flu blues

Dunno, I kinda think one of the risks of modern life is not ENOUGH challenges to our immune system. Current thinking is that is a big part of why so many kids have allergies these days; lack of environmental exposure to lots of different foreign substances from dirt etc. A constant amount of normal cuts, scrapes, inhaled, ingested; dirt, spores, animal feces, etc. may actually be beneficial to our health.
agreed in that context , kids need to play in the dirt more and not just on their dirt bikes , but still think the anti flu vac is dodgy know a few people who get one every yr , most get a mild flu attack afterwards and as the yrs go on don't seem as healthy as other people I know that don't get those shots .. coincerdence ??.. don't know but just a observation , but then a lot of other factors definitely do come into it , as get older may start to consider it as most flues are very bad / dangerous for the elderly (only 68 so got a long way to go before then , about the same time as put training wheels on the xs650 )

Spanish flu mainly took mainly the the young and fit , goes to show flu changes from bird ,swine etc to human .. not anti vac but why infect your self with only a small chance it might help while playing with your immune system , worst and mainly only one flu ever had was fit as a fiddle swinging a 10 pound hammer 10 hrs a day on the r/way .. fit as a fiddle .. 2 weeks in hosp.. fever out the max , every strain is different , they are only guessing while putting your immunity at risk .. some vacs are very good idea but the flu one , I think is dodgy . long run maybe do harm than good
In common advice given as to "why get the flu shot", it is mentioned the flu shot is a dead virus your body can imprint and create an immune response to for the best guess for which flu strain will be most common on your area. The average success rate for the proper vaccine was given at 40%. But I agree you will weaken your immune system if it is already compromised or are taking a steroid for another issue which will render your immune response ineffective at creating antibodies. If you are already fighting an infection, you can overtax your ability to fight an actual bug by getting the flu shot and get sick from that. Two of the past three years I have had to take a pass on the flu shot due to both those scenarios. Just getting old, also weakens your immune system and renders you less able to fight a flu bug. Most affected are the very young and old. As the doctor's advice goes, a 40% chance to avoid the flu is better than a 0% chance. If you are feeling low you might have a bug, already. Speak to your doctor first. Working outside on a regular basis can make you stronger and better able to withstand environmental changes which can also affect your ability to fight a bug. For example, if you struggle to maintain body temperature, say at a sports event in cold weather, your ability to fight a bug is lessened.

Well it was exactly a week ago that I posted this. I’ve always heard that getting a flu shot could possibly , at least lesson the severity of the flu, if you still managed to come down with it. After my recent experience , I think there might be something to that. For the first 48 hours, I felt like hell. But then I started getting rapidly better, on day 3 + 4, I just kinda felt fatigued and my stomach was still off a little. But after that.......It was over. It was suddenly like it never happened.
I think my little flu shot fought that nasty virus off! :D
27A9C92D-4C92-42DA-99C3-C43EE419708D.jpeg

That’s interesting reading Gary. True enough that the flu shot offers limited protection. Having chronic asthma, I’ll still go for some protection over none. The 1918 Pandemic......good times!
“ BRING OUT YOUR DEAD! “
0F827F5D-3AF0-4F85-B6DC-35BE57DC373A.jpeg

BEA7208A-C2F7-4CED-A7C0-85EDA7D37A89.jpeg
1D2071D3-26C5-421D-B5A4-230C6C5E4988.jpeg

My grandfather was in the Navy during WW1. He had this book that contained the history of all the men he served with and what happened to them, very many of them did not survive the war, but the cause of death for the majority of them was ( to me ) surprising. It was Pneumonia. Back then they didn’t have good antibiotics and health care practices.

An excellent article, Gary. From what I understand about viruses, the problem with pinning them down to find something to eliminate them is the nature of their reproduction. They reproduce at such a rapid rate that naturally occurring mutations, change their properties and make this a shell game. This was the dilemna with Aids, so a cocktail had to be created to cover several strains of the virus.

That’s interesting reading Gary. True enough that the flu shot offers limited protection. Having chronic asthma, I’ll still go for some protection over none. The 1918 Pandemic......good times!
“ BRING OUT YOUR DEAD! “
View attachment 131703
View attachment 131701 View attachment 131702

My grandfather was in the Navy during WW1. He had this book that contained the history of all the men he served with and what happened to them, very many of them did not survive the war, but the cause of death for the majority of them was ( to me ) surprising. It was Pneumonia. Back then they didn’t have good antibiotics and health care practices.
Oof! That picture says it all. Looks like a rough day at the office for those health care workers, too...

Well it was exactly a week ago that I posted this. I’ve always heard that getting a flu shot could possibly , at least lesson the severity of the flu, if you still managed to come down with it. After my recent experience , I think there might be something to that. For the first 48 hours, I felt like hell. But then I started getting rapidly better, on day 3 + 4, I just kinda felt fatigued and my stomach was still off a little. But after that.......It was over. It was suddenly like it never happened.
I think my little flu shot fought that nasty virus off! :D
View attachment 131664

G'day Bob,

Next time make sure you have plenty of Jewish penicillin.............................. AKA Chicken soup

Geedub

P.S.

Man we are back to temperatures on the sun this week, unfortunately the AC on the '76C is buggered.

dammm .. murphys law …. havnt had the flu in yrs and yrs .. talking about it and so what happens... been flat on my back for the last week .. intresting thing came out of it though , just before hand bought a home blood pressure monitor (thought was a good idea at the time age wise) normally got good b/p.... first 2 days had it normal, then readings spiked 160/90 and remained high (new toy so was taking a few readings over the day) that must have been when the flu was trying to come on , next few days with full on flu flucurated a lot but not as high but high eg 144/85 … 152/90, now on the tail end of the flu almost normal again .. don't know if it means anything but intresting

Kind of chicken soup. But this might help someone. After contact with lots of relatives over the holidays felt the onset Wednesday, scratchy throat, general meh, headache. Did what I usually do; bath as hot as I can stand it and stay there for 1/2 hour, 45 minutes. (read a book) keep adding hot water. 'Bout one more day of mild symptoms, done. My theory is; a fever is the body's way of rallying the troops to fight the bug, a hot bath kinda speeds the process, gets your defences up and charging before the flu reproduces heavily and is endemic in the system. Course it's impossible to know if I beat back flu or a cold. Would be great to hear if others try this and results.

Last edited:
dammm .. murphys law …. havnt had the flu in yrs and yrs .. talking about it and so what happens... been flat on my back for the last week .. intresting thing came out of it though , just before hand bought a home blood pressure monitor (thought was a good idea at the time age wise) normally got good b/p.... first 2 days had it normal, then readings spiked 160/90 and remained high (new toy so was taking a few readings over the day) that must have been when the flu was trying to come on , next few days with full on flu flucurated a lot but not as high but high eg 144/85 … 152/90, now on the tail end of the flu almost normal again .. don't know if it means anything but intresting
Some meds you take to quell symptoms of a cold or flu can raise bp. I was told, if I need something, to take CORICIDEN HBP for cold and flu, a decongestant which is formulated not to raise blood pressure, an important consideration for me since I've had a heart attack. Also, if you made chicken soup and are eating saltines with it, which is great when you're not feeling good, all that added salt can raise your blood pressure, too. This over the counter medicine doesn't conflict with other meds I take, according to the DRUGS.COM website, where you can check any interactions with anything you have to take.

Kind of chicken soup. But this might help someone. After contact with lots of relatives over the holidays felt the onset Wednesday, scratchy throat, general meh, headache. Did what I usually do; bath as hot as I can stand it and stay there for 1/2 hour, 45 minutes. (read a book) keep adding hot water. 'Bout one more day of mild symptoms, done. My theory is; a fever is the body's way of rallying the troops to fight the bug, a hot bath kinda speeds the process, gets your defences up and charging before the flu reproduces heavily and is endemic in the system. Course it's impossible to know if I beat back flu or a cold. Would be great to hear if others try this and results.
My father told me, when he was six, he developed encephalitis, a serious condition caused by a virus which attacks the brain causing an extremely high fever, convulsions and can easily lead to death. The old women in the neighborhood came over to help. They put my father in a really hot tub of water with epsom salts to raise his body temperature, and repeatedly dunked his head and swished him around, which broke his fever. If soldiers got pneumonia during WW l they would put them in a steaming pile of manure. Also, the recommended treatment for your tropical fish when developing "ich" a fungus which causes white spots, is to raise the water temp, gradually 10 degrees and add some salt to a fresh water tank. That's like giving them chicken soup...Also, it's important to take it easy if you think your body is trying to fight something. (That's easier said than done)

Last edited:
no meds until yesterday and that was only irish moss cough syrup , so any raise in b/p must have been from the flu , first couple of days of high b/p no flu symptoms except a mild head ache , any hopefully all over soon , forgot how misrible it makes you....chicken soup and sardines ??? that's one never heard of before … spainish jewish penicllin???

G'day gggGary,

When I was in the Army and we had the onset of flu we would drink as much of a bottle of Rum as we could, (usually we would lose the cap so if you did not drink it all the ants would get in).

Wrap yourself in your field nylon raincoat, go to bed wrapped in a couple of blankets.

Next day was the mutha of all hangovers but the flu symptoms would be gone.

no meds until yesterday and that was only irish moss cough syrup , so any raise in b/p must have been from the flu , first couple of days of high b/p no flu symptoms except a mild head ache , any hopefully all over soon , forgot how misrible it makes you....chicken soup and sardines ??? that's one never heard of before … spainish jewish penicllin???

Flea,

Get into some Cane Cutters Cordial in a serious way and it will pass quickly.
(AKA Rum)

lol... tempted geedubya but will wait it out... I love rum but it definitely doesn't love me .. jail cells arnt a good hospital recovery ward .. had some of the best and worst times on the rum , next time on it might pour it into the bike tank instead and see if the bike still goes faster , only a day or so left so hopefully that will be the end of the flu for another 20 yrs or so

Back