Getting back in the saddle

ippytattoo

Just another grumpy old hack.
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I know I have been away for quite some time but I am trying to get back involved in some of the things that were enjoyable. I just got my old scoot fired back up last week after being in storage for 5+ years and thought about the forum members and all the comradery between members. I figured since I am trying to get back to a normal life of sorts (if anyone wants to know where I have been pm me, its a long story) it would be nice to see how yall have been.

Thanks to good prep before storage I had no issues with getting the old girl fired up and running. The usual wake up tasks were required such as new oil and bleeding/flushing brakes and clutch. Other than that she fired right up with good old non-ethenal fuel. It was nice to hear the old girl run again. I havent gotten it out on the road yet but will hopefully be back on 2 wheels this weekend.

Always a pleasure, good to have you back......

tim

She went and got rich on me lol!!! I was working on getting deepsouth xs back on the road this morning for the first time in 5+ years after moving cross country and up 4500' in elevation and she is sadly running a bit on the rich side. My setup was Cvk34's (ex500 carbs) with 38 pilots, jjh needles with clip 2nd slot up from bottom, 140 mains. Starts first kick (yep still kick only) with only half choke even from dead cold, sitting idling it begins to load up with no choke on and with just slight throttle i get a puff of black smoke. I can close the mixture screw completely and never get a stumble indicating a lean condition. I knew big changes in elevation would change fuel mixture but didn't expect that much of a change. Oh well looks i am back to tuning and need to order some jets, let the madness ensue. I am going to order some 35 pilots 138 mains and jjj/jjk needles and go from there

Last edited:
Got my new jets in the mail today and did a proper cleaning of the carbs and installed 35 pilot jets, jjj needle (clip in middle slot), and 135 main. Still haven't got her on the road yet but I can actually use the fuel mixture screw to set idle fuel mix now at 1.25 turns out. I am sure I will have more adjustments to needle and maybe the mains but at least its not so rich it turns the plugs black as coal like it was.

Well I went a dun it, I got the long neglected bike out on the road today for a little spin (about 5 miles). After getting all the wake up maintenance done, getting the jetting changed for the altitude change and sorting out a couple wiring things it felt good to get back on 2 wheels, even if only for about 10 minutes to run up to the local gas station that has non- ethanol gas. She ran good for the short trip.

Only thing I found after the trip is what appears to be a cam seal under the left point cover leaking a little bit. I am hoping it will seal up after a few more miles but it's highly unlikely. Thankfully I still have some new cam seals laying around.

20200928_155931.jpg

20200928_155937.jpg

Pulled my plugs today after my short ride under varying tgrottle and loads the other day. I think they look pretty good, maybe a little rich on left cylinder and a little lean on the right side.

What do y'all think?

20200930_121144.jpg

The black covering nearly all of the porcelain indicates too rich on both to me. The color ring should be at the bottom of the porcelain, maybe coming up only about 1/4 of the way. Unless you did a cold start using the choke. That will blacken the porcelain real quick and it takes several miles of riding to burn it clean again. Maybe you didn't ride far/long enough to do that.

Went to do a dead cylinder idle mix adjustment and found a cracked vacuum nipple cap on right hand carb. I have a rubber cap on the nipple and then a vinyl cap that fits over the rubber cap so wasn't readily visible. Pulled the vinyl cap off and found a split running vertically along the side of the rubber cap. Replaced the rubber cap and was able to do a dead cylinder mix adjustment. Left 1⅜ turns out right 1⅝ out on cvk34 (ex500) carbs. Both sides "smell" rich at idle, but who knows though. Its been a while since I tuned anything, especially by nose lol. Smooth 1100rpm idle, no hanging idle. The split would explain a lean condition on the right side, at least in my mind anyway. The left mix did change by ⅛ turn; from 1½ to 1⅜, and the right stayed the same, 1⅝.

Is it likely that the split would have more effect at anything above idle? Possibly, I wasn't running clamps on them before but now have I spring clamps on the nipple caps just in case.

The black covering nearly all of the porcelain indicates too rich on both to me. The color ring should be at the bottom of the porcelain, maybe coming up only about 1/4 of the way. Unless you did a cold start using the choke. That will blacken the porcelain real quick and it takes several miles of riding to burn it clean again. Maybe you didn't ride far/long enough to do that.

I did indeed use the choke to start, and it was only about 10 minute (4 mile) shakedown ride to the local non-ethanol gas station.

Back